Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 10:50 AM

11 posts, read 40,691 times

Advertisements

I might be taking a job there. I have a few questions.

I want land not to much. Id be good with 5 acres. My wife on the other hand would rather have a bigger house since we do have 6 kids. Well 5 since my oldest is away at college. I do play guitar and want a place i can be as loud as i want or ride dirt bikes or shoot guns and not disturb anybody. I also hate having to battle through traffic to get to work.

Giving that information.

Where should be start looking for a house?
Would it be better to live in Mississippi or Louisiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 11:30 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,190,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjw757 View Post
I might be taking a job there. I have a few questions.

I want land not to much. Id be good with 5 acres. My wife on the other hand would rather have a bigger house since we do have 6 kids. Well 5 since my oldest is away at college. I do play guitar and want a place i can be as loud as i want or ride dirt bikes or shoot guns and not disturb anybody. I also hate having to battle through traffic to get to work.

Giving that information.

Where should be start looking for a house?
Would it be better to live in Mississippi or Louisiana
I don’t know where, but 5 acres ain’t gonna be enough to do what you want to do.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:37 PM

799 posts, read 1,057,777 times
5 acres is actually is a little small. You might need to 10 at least. If you are going to work at Stennis, I take it your an engineer? It depends on how far you want to drive.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:08 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,945,944 times
You should be able to find land in Hancock County for sure. I'd certainly stay in MS if working at Stennis. If you wanted super-suburbia you might go to Mandeville/Covington, LA and then over in Gulfport area too. For land, I'd stick around Hancock. Get a good realtor (try Dave Ramsey ELPs) to help you find the land you want, they know about parcels that will never show up on a lot of the public services.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:54 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,334,283 times
there a lot of land out there, look at the north gate area.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:21 AM

Theres not many 5 bedrooms there, according to zillow. I might just rent and have a house built. Where are the best schools around stennis. I really dont want to drive any longer than 40-45 minutes. I really would like to keep my commute under 30min.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:19 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,722,491 times
Quote:
Theres not many 5 bedrooms there, according to zillow. I might just rent and have a house built. Where are the best schools around stennis. I really dont want to drive any longer than 40-45 minutes. I really would like to keep my commute under 30min.
Introducing "The Cimarron" (3276T): https://www.championhomes.com/retail...cimarron-3276t

As for the 'schools' situation, Middle Class Mississippians, since the '60s, have limited the size of their families to the number of children they KNOW they can afford to send to private schools. This is not optional. Kids traumatized by public schools, tend to come to bad ends (https://www.google.com/search?q=Jess...w=1212&bih=716). First comes Stockholm Syndrome, as the beginning of a downward trajectory ending in Meth Addiction. The only alternatives to private schools, are homeschooling, and MOVING AWAY - out of the South. You are probably not going to find ANY locale offering "Good Schools" - for free. For that, you have to PAY.

In another thread, someone just posted the news that the state's birthrate is now at 'Below Replacement'. This need for private schooling, is why it's 'Below Replacement'. And this is why the state has such a huge Brain Drain: brainy types without wealthy parents (the backup-plan for private school tuition) FLEE Mississippi, as soon as they're old enough to rent U-Hauls. And yes: that's why people don't move there - particularly people from cultures within which huge families are considered normal.

Mississippi is not the sort of place, where you can expect "The Village" to raise your children for you. You have to do (and pay for) all of it, yourself. For most Middle Class families in the Deep South, children's educations and activities (and all the attendant transportation and merchandise required), consume all available time, money, and energy. A lot of people have managed to adapt, survive, and thrive, in that highly-pressurized, highly-demanding world. There are fatal blowouts, of course, in that world where you dare not falter, and dare not fail (https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...inal/93867212/). And the Football Sickness also consumes many genetically-valuable young lives (Doctors say Wilbanks' death isolated case). But for people with plenty of energy, and plenty of money (and no desire to do, or even think about, anything but raising kids and grandkids, for the benefit of churches and football programs), this seems to be the ticket for happiness (as long as the money and the energy are there to sustain it all).

But back to your housing needs: just buy a big-ol' piece of cut-over pine-land, and discover the Wonderful World of Triplewides!!! https://www.google.com/search?client...mg.79iqBQcs4jk

By the way, I've been meaning to respond to your original post, for some time. Normally, I warn people away from the Coast. But with your guitar-playing, gun-shooting, and dirt-bike-riding, as well as the enormous size of your family, I think that you're exactly the sort of folks who will be a perfect fit for that region. And considering all your guns, the bumper crops of venomous snakes you'll find down there, won't be a problem. https://www.google.com/search?q=Miss...h=716&dpr=1.33

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-20-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-20-2018, 03:06 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,410,458 times
Quote:
Pass Christian and Long Beach have better rated school systems, but that is turning into a 30+ minute commute. You could take I-10 or Hwy. 90 depending on where you end up. Don't know anything about Slidell (LA) or Hancock County (MS).

North of the I-10 is a little better on insurance, but once again, puts you further away from civilization.

As for building, at that point, if you find the kinda right house on the right land, you can always do an addition. You can always turn the master bath into a jack-n-jill style as you expand. Good way to get the master bedroom on the other side of the house....

Old 11-24-2018, 10:47 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,334,283 times
diamondhead is nice

Old 11-24-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
diamondhead is nice
I’ve heard it was nice. But I have a 20ft enclosed trailer.
And I know Diamond head is a big HOA town. I’ll be damm it someone tells
me that I can’t keep my trailer on my own property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi