U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 AM

60 posts, read 222,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadastwin View Post
Hello everyone. I'm really getting frustrated on my quest to find employment here in northern mississippi. I have been here for a month and have had no success whatsoever. My husband and I relocated here in the beginning of March. I've gone to employment agencies and applied online to hundreds of companies in the Northern Mississippi and Memphis area. I've even sent faxes to practically everyone in the yellow pages. I'm an administrative professional skilled in customer service, real estate, office management, budgetary analyst, executive assistance, escrow coordinator, public relations, etc., etc. When I do get inquiries and there are not many, with the skill level I'm at it seems to scare them away because they don't want to underpay me and say they can't afford me without giving me an offer. Can someone give me a lead? I think every company in northern mississippi and memphis has a copy of my resume, but still, no bites.
I live in NW Mississippi and the job situation as far as office work goes is really bad here. You wouldn't believe the # of employers who post jobs and aren't even hiring! They're just taking applications/resumes to save for future openings. You certainly are more skilled than I am and I hope you find something soon and close to your home....I finally had an interview, the first in a long time, last week and when I called the next day to ask a question was told they wanted someone with sales experience, which wasn't mentioned in the interview or the job posting....even jobs for a receptionist say they require a degree, say what?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone. I'm really getting frustrated on my quest to find employment here in northern mississippi. I have been here for a month and have had no success whatsoever. My husband and I relocated here in the beginning of March. I've gone to employment agencies and applied online to hundreds of companies in the Northern Mississippi and Memphis area. I've even sent faxes to practically everyone in the yellow pages. I'm an administrative professional skilled in customer service, real estate, office management, budgetary analyst, executive assistance, escrow coordinator, public relations, etc., etc. When I do get inquiries and there are not many, with the skill level I'm at it seems to scare them away because they don't want to underpay me and say they can't afford me without giving me an offer. Can someone give me a lead? I think every company in northern mississippi and memphis has a copy of my resume, but still, no bites.

I understand exactly how you feel, I've been looking for employment in NW Mississippi and Memphis too. I'm willing to work in Memphis, but don't want to drive an hour to get to work and home, done been there and done that on my last job. Noone has mentioned the fear of underpaying me, but maybe that's 1 of the reasons I haven't been hired? You probably already know that over half of the postings are by companies who aren't even hiring, just saving applications/resumes for future openings. I think they should tell people right off the bat so we don't apply for the job and then waiting, waiting, waiting to hear something!

You should be able to find something in customer service, have seen a lot of those postings and they all require experience which you have. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Forgot to tell you, you might want to check with your WIN job center if you have one in your area. Mine hasn't had anything for me and said all their jobs have been working in warehouses, but you might want to check with them. Also registered with Randstad, but they haven't had anything either. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 AM

5,220 posts, read 13,328,479 times
One word......TUNICA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi