Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 PM

91 posts, read 303,677 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm really getting frustrated on my quest to find employment here in northern mississippi. I have been here for a month and have had no success whatsoever. My husband and I relocated here in the beginning of March. I've gone to employment agencies and applied online to hundreds of companies in the Northern Mississippi and Memphis area. I've even sent faxes to practically everyone in the yellow pages. I'm an administrative professional skilled in customer service, real estate, office management, budgetary analyst, executive assistance, escrow coordinator, public relations, etc., etc. When I do get inquiries and there are not many, with the skill level I'm at it seems to scare them away because they don't want to underpay me and say they can't afford me without giving me an offer. Can someone give me a lead? I think every company in northern mississippi and memphis has a copy of my resume, but still, no bites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 10:15 PM

39 posts, read 140,837 times
Connections will get you a job, skills, experiences, and education will not. Welcome to the real world.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Well I guess I'll start using my connections. I didn't think it would end up this way with me trying to use that tactic to get hired, but oh well!!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM

39 posts, read 140,837 times
I know how you feel. It is life.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times
Smile Connections - it's all about who you know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadastwin View Post
Well I guess I'll start using my connections. I didn't think it would end up this way with me trying to use that tactic to get hired, but oh well!!
It is true. I'll give you a word - volunteer. Meet people. Get to know them. It will work. Once they know you...well, you know the rest.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 AM

14 posts, read 49,530 times
Default Job Problem

Know how you feel I lived their for over 30yrs before I got wise and moved out to TN Jobs here pay almost twelve thousand more a year depending on the industry. I have a friend who went back and got his BA DEGREE thinking he would get a better job in Mississippi he got a job which runs him all over the place and found out the other day that he is still low man on the toteum pole. There are a few jobs out there but like the the other fellow said IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE you have a better chance of pulling it off.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:13 PM

I'm learning that TN is where the jobs are. Even though they advertise for jobs here in MS, it must be based on procedure and the fact that they have someone for the job already. I've finally got called in for interviews, now I'm waiting on callbacks. My fingers are crossed so tight, my circulation is cut off. At least I'm getting calls from companies in TN.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Where are the jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
It is true. I'll give you a word - volunteer. Meet people. Get to know them. It will work. Once they know you...well, you know the rest.

Wow. I really hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:35 AM

Talking Yaay!!! I Got A Job!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadastwin View Post
Hello everyone. I'm really getting frustrated on my quest to find employment here in northern mississippi. I have been here for a month and have had no success whatsoever. My husband and I relocated here in the beginning of March. I've gone to employment agencies and applied online to hundreds of companies in the Northern Mississippi and Memphis area. I've even sent faxes to practically everyone in the yellow pages. I'm an administrative professional skilled in customer service, real estate, office management, budgetary analyst, executive assistance, escrow coordinator, public relations, etc., etc. When I do get inquiries and there are not many, with the skill level I'm at it seems to scare them away because they don't want to underpay me and say they can't afford me without giving me an offer. Can someone give me a lead? I think every company in northern mississippi and memphis has a copy of my resume, but still, no bites.
Hello everyone. I finally got a job. What I have learned is you have to go through employment agencies. A couple of companies told me the name of the agency they used and it paid off. Major corporations are allowing employment agencies to do their dirty work so to speak such as testing, interviews, etc. They no longer have time for that so the agency sends their best candidates and lets the company make the decision in the end. Once I figured that out I got a job the same week. So for those of you who are still looking, use an employment agency. And may I add, several so your odds will be better.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:37 AM

Default No Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAkeith View Post
Connections will get you a job, skills, experiences, and education will not. Welcome to the real world.

I finally got a job. Guess how? Skills, experience and education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi