U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:45 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,465,209 times

Advertisements

I spent a week in Booneville MS over Thanksgiving. I was surprised that Prentiss County is Dry. Found out later that 6 counties in MS are dry. That seems rather backwards if you ask me. They need to get with the times. It would bring in more money to these counties so I don't understand the resistance. Anybody have an opinion on this?
I might end up moving there and I do like to have cocktails now and then. Not sure I want to deal with a dry county though..............
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 03:29 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,440,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I spent a week in Booneville MS over Thanksgiving. I was surprised that Prentiss County is Dry. Found out later that 6 counties in MS are dry. That seems rather backwards if you ask me. They need to get with the times. It would bring in more money to these counties so I don't understand the resistance. Anybody have an opinion on this?
I might end up moving there and I do like to have cocktails now and then. Not sure I want to deal with a dry county though..............
Their counties, their rules. After you move down and become a resident, you will have a vote.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:46 PM
Status: "Mherkuh's fallen, but not America." (set 2 days ago)

4,630 posts, read 2,561,904 times
Most of the dry counties are in the eastern half of the state - away from the Mississippi River. I see a symmetric pattern with Arkansas - practically all the eastern third of that state is wet, while half the counties in the western 2/3 are dry.

My hypothesis is that this has to do with the antebellum "gentleman planter" culture being more prone to lavish parties, and that attitude simply stuck. They weren't all that Bible Belt in their attitude - and that alcohol permissiveness stuck. I notice even today, the Louisiana part of the Delta, at least, simply isn't as fervently Bible Belt as the rest of north Louisiana, and I'll bet the same holds true for the Delta-Hills dichotomy in Mississippi.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:21 PM

11,490 posts, read 8,235,494 times
Quote:
I think there are over 30 dry counties in Mississippi but there are wet cities within the dry counties. None are in Prentiss county though.

Sorry my info is wrong. After the Nov. 2017 election there are now 6 according to other sources.

Last edited by eddie gein; 11-28-2018 at 05:26 PM..

Old 11-28-2018, 04:22 PM

11,490 posts, read 8,235,494 times
Quote:
I think there wet cities in some of the dry counties.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:51 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,581,930 times
This might help out.
https://www.dor.ms.gov/ABC/Pages/Wet-Dry-Map.aspx

The dry counties are, by and large, rural and majority-white with a minuscule Catholic population.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Status: "Mherkuh's fallen, but not America." (set 2 days ago)

4,630 posts, read 2,561,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
This might help out.
https://www.dor.ms.gov/ABC/Pages/Wet-Dry-Map.aspx

The dry counties are, by and large, rural and majority-white with a minuscule Catholic population.
IIRC, you're from in or near the Delta. Do you think the legacy of the old plantation culture might have something to do with the scarcity of dry counties west of I-55?

Old 11-28-2018, 06:34 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,581,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
IIRC, you're from in or near the Delta. Do you think the legacy of the old plantation culture might have something to do with the scarcity of dry counties west of I-55?
Could be. Could also be the large black population and the Catholic presence, too.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:18 PM

975 posts, read 1,017,286 times
Interesting that Rankin is listed as dry (with several wet municipalities), yet many restaurants and convenience stores in unincorporated parts of the county sell/serve beer?

Is the "dry" referring only to hard liquor?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 AM

1,347 posts, read 985,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Interesting that Rankin is listed as dry (with several wet municipalities), yet many restaurants and convenience stores in unincorporated parts of the county sell/serve beer?

Is the "dry" referring only to hard liquor?
Yes.

That was the biggest surprise when I moved here. I was riding around looking for liquor stores and it finally dawned on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: