Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:50 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,244,444 times

Advertisements

Any information is something.
Schools
Shopping
Home Prices
Traffic
Safety
Trouble Spots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,848,838 times
Schools - Most consider them bad, but check out schooldigger.com
Shopping - Not much, but there is a Wal Mart and Madison and Ridgeland are just down the road
Home Prices - Cheap, but don't buy a house there unless you really know what you are doing
Traffic - Light
Safety - Not a ton of violent crime, but property crime is high
Trouble Spots - It is a very poor area

Old 12-19-2018, 11:15 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,941,575 times
I would stay away from Canton. Go to Madison.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:09 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,393,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Schools
Shopping
Home Prices
Traffic
Safety
Trouble Spots
An open ended question like this just invites trolls.

Why are you asking? Are you moving to the area? Got a new job? Where? Do you have a family? Concerned about schools? What's your budget?

Most city data subs have a checklist to fill out that answers these questions. So we know how to help you.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:43 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,714,412 times
Quote:
Schools
Shopping
Home Prices
Traffic
Safety
Trouble Spots

OK.... Here's the lowdown:

The schools are better than they used to be, thanks to all the tax Dollars from Nissan. But that's not saying much. Middle Class people send their children to private schools, or they homeschool, or they MOVE - frequently, moving as far from Mississippi as they can get.

Plenty of great shopping, in the ritzy-looking high-concept retail developments (https://goo.gl/images/2hs21T) just down the Interstate, in Madison and Ridgeland. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowDnoECAYQBg A bit farther, there's Highland Village, in Jackson (recently bought-out by "Jerseykid-type Rent-hikers", but still home to a few great stores), and Jackson's 'Banner Hall' (incl. Lemuria: best bookstore in Central Mississippi). Across the Reservoir, there's 'Dogwood Festival Marketplace', which is a gargantuan strip center agglomeration, very Middle-American in feeling (and when the Jackson crowd isn't around, it's like shopping in Iowa).

It's been decades since any of us have tried shopping 'On the Square', in Canton. There was the paint store, where the old woman owner accused my Decorator and me of LYING, when we tried to show her that buckets of paint which were supposed to match, did NOT match (we didn't get as far as opening the pluckin' buckets...). And there was the drugstore, where, when my Armani-suited husband tried to buy Vitamin C, he got stared-down, and then stared right out of the store. And there was the jewelry store, where if you were not blondish and obese, they made it ULTRA-clear that they didn't want you in their store. Things have probably changed, but wild horses could not drag me, or anybody I know, back into a business in that town. As rude as retailers in Jackson have been, Canton's were exponentially worse. (This one's hateful outburst flickered across national news: https://goo.gl/images/wivxEB None of us encountered HIM, but the Paint Store Woman could have been his fraternal twin.)

You can buy a fine old home - maybe even one that's freshly-renovated - for very little. Can't imagine WHY...

Except for Nissan-related Rush Hour breakneck-fast speeders, there's no traffic.

Town's every bit as safe as Compton, Pontiac, Oakland, or Pine Bluff.

Trouble Spots: basically all the parts of town predating Nissan, and all new low-income developments, too. http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/312841

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 12-23-2018 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 02:12 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,244,444 times
Thanks for the info. My SIL is considering a ministry position in the area. We know little about the area other than the connection to the "A Time to Kill" movie.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:07 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,848,838 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. My SIL is considering a ministry position in the area. We know little about the area other than the connection to the "A Time to Kill" movie.
The book/movie is fictional, actually based on a case where the races are reversed (white rape victims and black assailant). Your/her knowledge of that book/movie will not be helpful.

She will be fine, violent crime is not overly common, but property crime is, she just needs to keep a high degree of situational awareness and not let her guard down.

She will likely have to find an apartment in Ridgeland, but be warned, there is are extremes in Ridgeland, from poverty (closer to County Line) to extreme wealth (mostly north and west of I55). Make sure she thoroughly checks out apartment complexes, you will be able to judge the residents by their vehicles. Hopefully a local will help her.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,685 times
Born and raised in New York...Even lived in Virginia for a few years...Just recently moved here, last year, cause my hubby was from here (not the best situation it itself but anyway, aside from that)...However I must say that Canton is by far the worst place, with the worst types of people I have ever met in my whole life...I mean, of course there are FEW exceptions...But for starters, people here are very xenophobic...Its like, if you're not originally from here, or at least have blood relatives from here...Especially if you're a half way decent looking woman...You are treated like you're not wanted around...Or they give you a hard time to bring the worst out of you...This even goes to where you work at...Alot of folks here are just straight up ghetto, ignorant, crooked and violent...This goes from law enforcement to finding a place to live...To getting a job...Its not how qualified you are, it's about who you know and who likes you...

So anyone whose from the north, especially the northeast...Be warned that there no "southern hospitality" here...More like "southern hostility"...So other than a visit to family or friends...Do yourselves a favour...Save yourself some disappointment and don't move here!!! Cause as for me, I intend on leaving thus dump asap...Now I heard (and seen) that Madison and Ridgeland are better looking areas...As far as I've seen, the people there seem to at least be a bit more progressive, overall...So perhaps it is better over there, though the cost of living may be a bit higher...But you do get what you pay for, after all...However as far as Canton goes...In my opinion, look elsewhere and save yourself the stress, money, distress and disappointment...Trust me, with the 15 months of hell that I've gone through...I have since enough to tell all, that you will glad you did..

Old 12-31-2020, 10:58 AM

25,322 posts, read 16,952,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Femmefatality View Post
Born and raised in New York...Even lived in Virginia for a few years...Just recently moved here, last year, cause my hubby was from here (not the best situation it itself but anyway, aside from that)...However I must say that Canton is by far the worst place, with the worst types of people I have ever met in my whole life...I mean, of course there are FEW exceptions...But for starters, people here are very xenophobic...Its like, if you're not originally from here, or at least have blood relatives from here...Especially if you're a half way decent looking woman...You are treated like you're not wanted around...Or they give you a hard time to bring the worst out of you...This even goes to where you work at...Alot of folks here are just straight up ghetto, ignorant, crooked and violent...This goes from law enforcement to finding a place to live...To getting a job...Its not how qualified you are, it's about who you know and who likes you...

So anyone whose from the north, especially the northeast...Be warned that there no "southern hospitality" here...More like "southern hostility"...So other than a visit to family or friends...Do yourselves a favour...Save yourself some disappointment and don't move here!!! Cause as for me, I intend on leaving thus dump asap...Now I heard (and seen) that Madison and Ridgeland are better looking areas...As far as I've seen, the people there seem to at least be a bit more progressive, overall...So perhaps it is better over there, though the cost of living may be a bit higher...But you do get what you pay for, after all...However as far as Canton goes...In my opinion, look elsewhere and save yourself the stress, money, distress and disappointment...Trust me, with the 15 months of hell that I've gone through...I have since enough to tell all, that you will glad you did..
I'm telling you, living in a small/medium size town can be absolute murder for newcomers. I have seen women absolutely put their foot down and demand that their husband move them to Memphis or else! Others just sort of ease back out of town without saying much.
It's not just Canton. I've seen it in other small towns, too, North and South. Actually, the worst I have ever experienced was Washington state. I had a chat with a lady who recently had moved to Meridian, and she said that if people don't know you they will just make something up - and I know that's true because I have seen my wife do it! My wife is from here; I am not. But I'm not from anywhere so it make little difference to me. Sometimes, though - sometimes! - I wish my wife and her daughters would talk about something besides the people of our town.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:23 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,941,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm telling you, living in a small/medium size town can be absolute murder for newcomers. I have seen women absolutely put their foot down and demand that their husband move them to Memphis or else! Others just sort of ease back out of town without saying much.
It's not just Canton. I've seen it in other small towns, too, North and South. Actually, the worst I have ever experienced was Washington state. I had a chat with a lady who recently had moved to Meridian, and she said that if people don't know you they will just make something up - and I know that's true because I have seen my wife do it! My wife is from here; I am not. But I'm not from anywhere so it make little difference to me. Sometimes, though - sometimes! - I wish my wife and her daughters would talk about something besides the people of our town.
No doubt about this. I grew up in MS, moved away and have lived everywhere, and now have moved back. It's funny because that moving around experience has developed a certain personality for me, where that sort of thing just does not bother me. I just totally ignore the 'gossip' side of life, and go do what I'm going to do - and people respect it. They'll change their opinion as quick as they formed it if you make them.

Not forming my self-esteem based on what others think, i.e. exiting the outside world's 'frame', was a major turning point. Some do it better than others. The majority of people never shake it though. Whatever it looks like, whether it's a 'support group' or 'friend group' or 'I just need my FAMILY!!', it's all the same, it's dependence on other people.

All that said....I'm not a small town guy, so I live in the Jackson metro....but I feel like if I HAD to live in a small town, it wouldn't be too bad, with my current viewpoint. Look at it this way....it's really not about you - it's about those other people's lack of introspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi