Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 10:34 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times

Advertisements

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...sa/2700508002/

I did not even know this place existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 08:26 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,889,371 times
I see a boondoggle of wasted taxpayer funds here. Cindy Hyde-Smith is from the Brookhaven area, so she is throwing a bone to her part of the State. Hopefully, Cspire will bear the brunt of the costs, but I doubt it.

Something like this would go over well on the Rez, Sardis or on the Coast (and maybe even Pickwick?), but putting it in the middle of nowhere is a Mississippi type move.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 AM

That was my first thought, but upon doing a little research on them, they do have a plan:

Quote:
Meadville Mayor Lane Reed said the region has many assets besides its natural beauty, including the award-winning chess program. “We’re very proud of our community and are grateful for the rich quality of life we enjoy. That’s why we want to share it with the rest of the state,” he said.

Reed’s perspective is shared by James L. Cummins, executive director of Wildlife Mississippi, who believes the project could help boost workforce development and natural resource-based jobs.

“Mississippi is a global leader in the production, design, and manufacture of products, and the providing of services, related to the outdoors. We produce a variety of wood products, camouflage, game calls, boats, ammunition, guided hunting and fishing trips, and the list goes on. Growth in these economic sectors is creating a demand for highly skilled workers. This conference center will be in the perfect location – the heart of one of the most scenic and resource-rich areas of our nation – to facilitate workforce training for natural resource-based jobs. All of Mississippi, but especially the Southwest part of our state, has a great opportunity to help improve upon Mississippi’s excellent climate for outdoor-related businesses, and put Mississippians to work doing what they love,” Cummins said.
I like that they are basing it around outdoor tourism. If they could develop a great network of biking and hiking trails, they really could be on to something.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:38 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,431,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
That was my first thought, but upon doing a little research on them, they do have a plan:

I like that they are basing it around outdoor tourism. If they could develop a great network of biking and hiking trails, they really could be on to something.
I didn't see a plan. What plan do you see for the conference center?

Flowery words about the region? Yes. Plans for the types of events that will happen at the conference center? No.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I didn't see a plan. What plan do you see for the conference center?

Flowery words about the region? Yes. Plans for the types of events that will happen at the conference center? No.
They have a general, overall them for the area. That must come first, that's the first part of the plan - a vision. Then comes the feasibility study, which shows if there is any type of realistic shot at making it work.

I work in this business. It doesn't come overnight. At minimum I give them credit for trying to innovate based on their current situation, rather than complaining and doing the 'woe is me' thing.

Hyde-Smith is helping, but she would not have helped had the locals not done a lot of the leg work up front. That's how it works. The days of pork are over, everything is too scrutinized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi