U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-04-2019, 06:50 PM
 
26 posts, read 8,889 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

I am Black but I have noticed that many other Black people in DeSoto County have a unique accent. They don't sound like Black people from Memphis but don't sound like Black people from other parts of Mississippi such as the Delta.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2019, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
2,013 posts, read 1,109,880 times
Reputation: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBaby86 View Post
I am Black but I have noticed that many other Black people in DeSoto County have a unique accent. They don't sound like Black people from Memphis but don't sound like Black people from other parts of Mississippi such as the Delta.
It's most likely just the individual(s) and not the whole community. I've been through that area many times.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 09:15 PM
 
139 posts, read 78,862 times
Reputation: 429
Incomes are higher in DeSoto County, so that could be it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM
 
973 posts, read 1,014,600 times
Reputation: 1943
Interesting topic, through the 80s, some whites in the Delta, had a slightly different (from the usual Mississippi southern accent) "foghorn leghorn" accent. I also have a couple of Black coworkers from South Alabama, they have a different (than the usual) accent.

Last edited by viverlibre; 02-07-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 05:08 PM
 
769 posts, read 789,219 times
Reputation: 865
Older people from the delta still have those pronounced southern drawls. People born in my generation or younger, the accent has become less pronounced and in some cases barely noticeable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
5,286 posts, read 3,015,137 times
Reputation: 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Older people from the delta still have those pronounced southern drawls. People born in my generation or younger, the accent has become less pronounced and in some cases barely noticeable.
And the ones in coastal and SW Mississippi can sometimes pass for being from New Orleans. Almost.

You don't find many younger people at all that have the traditional Southern "Kay Ivey" (governor of Alabama) accent (she's the only person I can think of that talks like she does, except maybe Haley Barbour, former gov of Mississippi). I think television and other media are homogenizing regional accents, and probably in a hundred years or so there won't be any differences, except possibly in the big cities where people can spend their entire lives and never leave the city limits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 PM
 
769 posts, read 789,219 times
Reputation: 865
On the coast and some places in southern MS you have transplants from New Orleans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 AM
 
2,319 posts, read 1,121,241 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
And the ones in coastal and SW Mississippi can sometimes pass for being from New Orleans. Almost.

You don't find many younger people at all that have the traditional Southern "Kay Ivey" (governor of Alabama) accent (she's the only person I can think of that talks like she does, except maybe Haley Barbour, former gov of Mississippi). I think television and other media are homogenizing regional accents, and probably in a hundred years or so there won't be any differences, except possibly in the big cities where people can spend their entire lives and never leave the city limits.
Hooray for getting rid of our culture!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top