U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 03:44 PM

11,418 posts, read 8,198,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Do you have a source for those statistics? I would be pretty surprised if only 75% of African Americans are registered to vote in Mississippi are registered as Democrats. I would assume it would be close to 90 percent.
Here is a list of actual party affiliation in Mississippi........

Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

I am interested in this due to the fact that republicans and democrats as a rule do not seem to be very civil with each other any more. Not saying they can't be friendly in frivolous exchanges.

However, I have always felt a little bad for the southern states back in the day because it was clear that southern whites were fearful of blacks gaining political power. Meanwhile the northerners who were all snotty about race relations did not and still do not have to deal with that as an issue.

Today, Mississippi still votes republican but a coalition of a solid democratic base and white democrats may actually be able to produce a larger voting block.

If Mississippi democrats were in control there would be more strains on the tax base that is probably not big enough to support a democratic agenda. Meanwhile, republicans are supposed to be the ones who are business friendly to grow said base.

Just wonder if this causes friction in the state. We all know that Mississippians are at the list of common courtesies and in my experience that crosses racial lines. Now I haven't spent enough time in Jackson to see how it works but I have spent time in all three major college cities and black people were very friendly to me (white) in all my interactions.

Last edited by eddie gein; 02-23-2019 at 03:59 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 06:58 PM

973 posts, read 1,014,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Now I haven't spent enough time in Jackson to see how it works but I have spent time in all three major college cities and black people were very friendly to me (white) in all my interactions.
I've lived/worked in the Jackson metro for 25 years, I have numerous professional and personal interactions with African Americans each day, the vast majority are friendly and positive. I've had more negative interactions with whites than any other race. As a matter of fact, black people are generally friendlier overall.

A big perpetrator of hate and misinformation is social media, which is the devil and if one lets it, will warp one's view. Most social media posts are made by losers who are only interested in furthering whatever agenda those they idolize want to push.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 PM

18,599 posts, read 10,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Here is a list of actual party affiliation in Mississippi........

Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

I am interested in this due to the fact that republicans and democrats as a rule do not seem to be very civil with each other any more. Not saying they can't be friendly in frivolous exchanges.

However, I have always felt a little bad for the southern states back in the day because it was clear that southern whites were fearful of blacks gaining political power. Meanwhile the northerners who were all snotty about race relations did not and still do not have to deal with that as an issue.

Today, Mississippi still votes republican but a coalition of a solid democratic base and white democrats may actually be able to produce a larger voting block.

If Mississippi democrats were in control there would be more strains on the tax base that is probably not big enough to support a democratic agenda. Meanwhile, republicans are supposed to be the ones who are business friendly to grow said base.

Just wonder if this causes friction in the state. We all know that Mississippians are at the list of common courtesies and in my experience that crosses racial lines. Now I haven't spent enough time in Jackson to see how it works but I have spent time in all three major college cities and black people were very friendly to me (white) in all my interactions.
Part of the secret to understanding the Republican power base is to know that really poor people - those in poverty, I'm saying - don't vote very often. So unless they group together like they do over in the Delta they will not be represented at all.

There is lots of information all over the internet, so I'll let you pick your own.

I don't feel any friction between the races. There is no place in our town of 35,000 (60/40 White) where I would feel uncomfortable. All races are represented by kids hanging out together at the mall and so forth.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,854,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
If you look at her resume before going to Washington, she had never had a job in her life.
Wasn't she a bartender in a restaurant on the side while going to law school?

Old 04-23-2019, 01:15 PM

13,964 posts, read 20,173,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Wasn't she a bartender in a restaurant on the side while going to law school?
She didn't go to law school, but got a degree in international relations and economics. Her main career seems to have been interning with this and that political activist program pretty much during and since graduating for college, one time interning for Ted Kennedy, and later campaigning for Bernie. But yes to supplement her income on her main job of interning for this or that activist organization and campaign organizer, which was nonprofit and unpaid, she worked bartending jobs.
But, let's face it, in reality she was being groomed to be a professional politician and that was her career.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:49 PM

4,123 posts, read 8,059,309 times
Reading these accounts of racial relations makes me want to come MS and hang out with African Americans just to annoy the redneck Trumpeteers. Well, they could be Demoncats also.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:58 PM

13,964 posts, read 20,173,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
In your world, talking about racism is racist?
You know what? I read that persons thread and started to read about a "white girl" and stopped there as I thought I knew where it was going. After a second reading that statement alone wasn't racist. HOWEVER....

...however her classification of the whole state as racist digs down into the root cause of racism itself - the classification of humans based on one common characteristic. In this case it's not the color of their skin but the fact that they live in a certain location. The concept is the same. You live in Mississippi thus you are racist. Are you racist? Is that a fair statement? What is her evidence for this? Anecdotal, I assume she had some bad experiences in MS.

But anyways I am perplexed as the thread was about AOC in MS, not racism. So why are we on this topic except that the person appears to have some psychological need to vent. So, with this thread going seriously downhill and attracting some negative elements already I am out - or as they say
"in before the lock".

Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,460,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Everyone thinks "If x gets something, that's money out of MY pocket."
thats America too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi