Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:38 AM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Bullsh*t.

There's many ways to get a leg up, but the biggest and easiest one is a economic boom of some kind, based on natural resources, geography, or whatever. Position yourself the best you can and grab the opportunity. That is NOT what happened in California. The Pacific Ocean, gold rush, film industry and Silicon Valley is what did it. In that order, it builds on itself.

Taxes come gradually.

Even Texas has oil that originally started their boom. That's where it all began. As they get bigger and fatter, they'll become more liberal and taxes will rise. That's when they "invest in people". You're already seeing it in Austin, it's becoming a tech giant.
S you are saying the massive investments Cali made in transportation infrastructure, universities, public education etc have little or nothing to do with its prosperity? You have to be pushing a political agenda to make a claim like that.

Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society.

I do agree that you need advantages in terms of geographical considerations and natural resources, but to take you economy to the next level you need a combination of those factors and a society structured in such a way as to prevent all of the benefits from accruing to the elites and to make the area for attractive to additional industries.

There are natural resource rich regions of the world that are poor due to the benefits of those resources being concentrated in the hands of elites...taxation is a way to ensure that the population as a whole...including the workers...benefit. it also financed amenities that make the state even more attractive to other industries.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
There are natural resource rich regions of the world that are poor due to the benefits of those resources being concentrated in the hands of elites...taxation is a way to ensure that the population as a whole...including the workers...benefit. it also financed amenities that make the state even more attractive to other industries.
I would say those areas are poor due to incompetence and corruption of their leaders, not because of lack of taxes. Taxes taking money from the rich to give to the poor is a false premise, it never works that way. I notice many liberals attempt to accuse conservatives of being corrupt by trying to avoid higher taxes, nothing can be further from the truth. Corruption occurs with or without taxes.

I do agree that taxation is needed to build amenities that make the state/region better. They just come second. You can't tax what you don't have. A fair, equally applied tax will always be needed.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,223 times
Quote:
Yep. This is why low tax states like Mississippi host far more world class cities, far more world class research universities, far more major corporate headquarters, and are the home of far more innovation and cultural influence than the high tax states such as California, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, etc
This is too funny. Jackson is the largest city in Mississippi, and it doesn't even crack 200,000 people. Ole Miss is ranked #152 in the US.

To suggest that Mississippi is home to more tech and cultural than the states you mention is outlandish.

Your entire post reads like an article from "The Onion"! hah.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Didnt the rich say they would leave if Obama got elected? And Democrats if Trump was elected? Rich people aren't moving to another country for taxes. Nobody is. People emigrate for life threatening reasons.
Huh? What? Yes they will leave - I just gave you a good example of where rich people moved to another country for taxes and other financial reasons (although in truth I just wanted to fit a Rolling Stones reference into the topic). Likewise companies move for both tax reasons and for cheaper labor. Their are tons of examples. I mean seriously, how can you respond to an example of rich people moving to another country for taxes by saying rich people don't ever move to another country for taxes? This is a first in the annals of CityData - Your response was proven wrong even before you posted it.

But, maybe you misunderstood - this isn't about people moving to another country because they don't like an elected leaders political leanings, yes we hear about that nonsense but that has nothing to do with this topic, but for financial reasons. The tax code has not changed drastically enough in the US (yet, hopefully never) to compel anyone to leave. Obviously however is another example by the OP where people move to states with less of a tax burden. Again - tons of examples of that.

Last edited by Dd714; 03-07-2019 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 10:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
Yep. This is why low tax states like Mississippi host far more world class cities, far more world class research universities, far more major corporate headquarters, and are the home of far more innovation and cultural influence than the high tax states such as California, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, etc
Irony aside, MS is actually NOT a low tax state. In this link it's listed as tied in top 14th HIGHEST tax rate.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

What hurts me at my income level is income tax (lived in TN and FL without a state income tax), and sales tax is pretty high as well.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:19 AM

25,550 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
This is too funny. Jackson is the largest city in Mississippi, and it doesn't even crack 200,000 people. Ole Miss is ranked #152 in the US.

To suggest that Mississippi is home to more tech and cultural than the states you mention is outlandish.

Doncha think it is pretty likely that he was being sarcastic?

Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post

Sarcasm meter at the shop?

I'm glad I now understand that this thread was placed in the wrong forum.

However, my hope for Mississippi is the same as my hope for my home state of Oklahoma. Something we have been seeing in the west for a while now. Cities like Phoenix, SLC, Portland, Seattle and Boise are starting to get spin off from Cali. Austin is as well.

Here in Oklahoma, Oklahoma City and Tulsa are trying to upgrade in order to appeal to business and industry when Texas gets to where California is now. I can see Mississippi getting spin off from New Orleans, Atlanta and places in Florida if the state plays it's cards right.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:27 AM

25,550 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Irony aside, MS is actually NOT a low tax state. In this link it's listed as tied in top 14th HIGHEST tax rate.

What hurts me at my income level is income tax (lived in TN and FL without a state income tax), and sales tax is pretty high as well.
All that's true. But if residents have to earn enough money to pay $548,100 (California) for a house, it tilts the whole table. Mississippians must pay $127,300 for their home, so saving for a down payment and making the payment is a lot easier.
It's easy to be jealous of those California salaries, but when you take in the whole picture, it could be true that we make more than they do....

Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Sarcasm meter at the shop?

I'm glad I now understand that this thread was placed in the wrong forum.

However, my hope for Mississippi is the same as my hope for my home state of Oklahoma. Something we have been seeing in the west for a while now. Cities like Phoenix, SLC, Portland, Seattle and Boise are starting to get spin off from Cali. Austin is as well.

Here in Oklahoma, Oklahoma City and Tulsa are trying to upgrade in order to appeal to business and industry when Texas gets to where California is now. I can see Mississippi getting spin off from New Orleans, Atlanta and places in Florida if the state plays it's cards right.
Taking it in as we speak. I feel a bit salty now.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:47 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

It's more of a cost-of-living thing.

I've lived in Florida, and it's like #5 on most lists of least taxed states. But it costs a heck of a lot more to live there, when you factor in ALL taxes, not just income and such. 'Stuff' costs more there too, not just real estate.

Mississippi is in the 20s or 30s on those same lists, which compromises the big picture.

That makes zero sense. They are leaving things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi