U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 09:25 PM

2,346 posts, read 1,150,899 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, in the year 2019, which city (or if no cities are like this, what region) is the most socially conservative in the state of Mississippi? Would Alabama be more like this than Mississippi? I would prefer to live somewhere that parents don't allow their young girls to dress in revealing clothes and the teenagers aren't obsessed with drugs, alcohol, sex, rap music, if such a place even exists anymore?

Not dissing anybody's lifestyle choices so if you have a problem with my criteria I really don't care. You will never change my mind. Just accept it for what it is and help me out so I can stay out of your hair easier. There's no reason to make this thread any sort of political discussion.

I appreciate anybody who can help me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 999,734 times
I think they are pretty similar, especially in small towns, off the coast. Jackson and Tupelo and Memphis are the 'cities' you want. College towns will obviously be more lenient and liberal. I'd probably look into Madison if you want Jackson, or Tupelo anywhere, and Hernando outside Memphis. Closer you get to Memphis the more of the riff raff you'll run into. I knew guys from Southaven/Olive Branch in college and they were pretty much city-slickers.

If you really want conservatism a small town is probably your best route, but you'll have to deal with everybody knowing everybody. Three that are decent are Corinth, Laurel and Brookhaven, depending on what you want to do. Ripley is a decent small town for raising kids.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:39 PM

2,175 posts, read 3,529,307 times
You want conservative? Stay in the Southwest corner of Mississippi. South of Natchez, West of Mccomb. Places like Liberty and such. These areas are far from any influences and bigger towns and cities. Here is where you'll find the most rebel flags and unsolved lynchings as any area of the state.

If you're trying to keep your kids away from modern trappings, turn off the TV, internet, and cell phones. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
If you're trying to keep your kids away from modern trappings, turn off the TV, internet, and cell phones. Good luck!

You got that right.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:15 PM

18,674 posts, read 10,983,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I'm curious, in the year 2019, which city (or if no cities are like this, what region) is the most socially conservative in the state of Mississippi? Would Alabama be more like this than Mississippi? I would prefer to live somewhere that parents don't allow their young girls to dress in revealing clothes and the teenagers aren't obsessed with drugs, alcohol, sex, rap music, if such a place even exists anymore?...........
I think you should be looking at Utah, more than Mississippi.
Logan, UT.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:09 PM

No way, not Mormon

Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 PM

984 posts, read 1,027,751 times
If you don't have to worry about a job and can afford private schools, Carrollton is a great place to live. However, I don't think you will find many teenage boys not obsessed with alcohol and sex.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:20 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,604,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
No way, not Mormon
Many of them are nice people.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:35 AM

3,709 posts, read 2,854,762 times
It would take a little bit of research, but I think the city or town or little community that has the highest percentage of residents that have at least an upper middle class income or higher, might be the place you're looking for. Those seem to be the places where intact, 2 parent households are the rule rather than the exception and both parents are most involved with their children's education and upbringing and monitor the quality and the values of the people who they allow to have influence in their children's lives.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-31-2019 at 11:43 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,486 times
Places like that don't exist I don't care what part of the state you go to, social media and the news still make it out to everywhere in America. It reminds me of an episode of Longmire where they bust a group of drug dealers in rural Wyoming and the deputy sheriff makes the comment that the kids are dressed like they are from Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You want conservative? Stay in the Southwest corner of Mississippi. South of Natchez, West of Mccomb. Places like Liberty and such. These areas are far from any influences and bigger towns and cities. Here is where you'll find the most rebel flags and unsolved lynchings as any area of the state.
Those are no more conservative than what you would find elsewhere in the South. I've been around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi