U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 12:34 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,629,080 times

Advertisements

https://www.deltanews.tv/news/clevel...69f0f9ef5.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 04:18 PM

18,714 posts, read 11,041,920 times
Now, Cleveland is in the company of places like St. Augustine, FL., Fairhope, AL, and Gatlinburg, TN.

I have been to all of those places. I cannot see what Cleveland, MS has in common with them. Well, maybe Gatlinburg if two guys are "rolling around kickin' and a-gouging in the mud, blood, an' the beer.", which might be happening, even as we speak.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:00 AM

1,382 posts, read 1,011,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Now, Cleveland is in the company of places like St. Augustine, FL., Fairhope, AL, and Gatlinburg, TN.

I have been to all of those places. I cannot see what Cleveland, MS has in common with them. Well, maybe Gatlinburg if two guys are "rolling around kickin' and a-gouging in the mud, blood, an' the beer.", which might be happening, even as we speak.
Yeah I'm with you. Cleveland is a cool college town with some good things going for it, but Gatlinburg? Nah.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:28 PM

985 posts, read 1,034,969 times
Cleveland is the Jewel of the delta due to DSU and Black and White City Leaders keeping the public school system good for many years (unfortunately that's gone now), but it's not even at the top of the best similar sized towns in the 'Sip. Oxford, Starkville, BSL and Ocean Springs are far ahead of Cleveland. I'm putting Hattiesburg, Tupelo, Gulfport/Biloxi, Olive Branch, etc into the "next size up" category.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:39 AM

182 posts, read 135,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Cleveland is the Jewel of the delta due to DSU and Black and White City Leaders keeping the public school system good for many years (unfortunately that's gone now), but it's not even at the top of the best similar sized towns in the 'Sip. Oxford, Starkville, BSL and Ocean Springs are far ahead of Cleveland. I'm putting Hattiesburg, Tupelo, Gulfport/Biloxi, Olive Branch, etc into the "next size up" category.

So why is the public school system no longer "good" because it was desegregated? I grew up in Mississippi, you could do better in any other state in the union, especially if you are African American. The politicians are racist, backwards, don't understand the separation of church and state, and constantly make things harder for people who are already living in poverty and have a low quality of life. It's disgusting.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:53 AM

10,062 posts, read 10,629,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
So why is the public school system no longer "good" because it was desegregated? I grew up in Mississippi, you could do better in any other state in the union, especially if you are African American. The politicians are racist, backwards, don't understand the separation of church and state, and constantly make things harder for people who are already living in poverty and have a low quality of life. It's disgusting.
Mississippi has more elected black officials than any other state.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I guess you'd have to be more specific. You know.... tell us HOW the politicians make it hard on the poor, how they express their racism, how they mingle church and state and so forth.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 AM

182 posts, read 135,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I guess you'd have to be more specific. You know.... tell us HOW the politicians make it hard on the poor, how they express their racism, how they mingle church and state and so forth.
Cutting food stamps in a state with little to no employment opportunity and rampant racial discrimination

teachers have the lowest average salaries in the country, no investment in education

not accepting Obama Care in the state that has the shortest life expectancy, and a high unemployment rate

A governor and state legislature that just passed a primitive draconian abortion bill, and our governers rationale " When I am judged for heaven I can at least say I helped protect unborn babies"

With the wealth and opportunity inequality in this country its nearly impossible for people to pull themselves up by the boot straps, bt this state makes sure people have no boot straps to pull themselves up by.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Cutting food stamps in a state with little to no employment opportunity and rampant racial discrimination

teachers have the lowest average salaries in the country, no investment in education

not accepting Obama Care in the state that has the shortest life expectancy, and a high unemployment rate

A governor and state legislature that just passed a primitive draconian abortion bill, and our governers rationale " When I am judged for heaven I can at least say I helped protect unborn babies"

With the wealth and opportunity inequality in this country its nearly impossible for people to pull themselves up by the boot straps, bt this state makes sure people have no boot straps to pull themselves up by.
In January, 2019, Mississippi recorded the lowest level of unemployment ever recorded in the state, and at the same time recorded an historic high in the number of jobs.
And you think SNAP (Food Stamps) program should expand? I don't.
Abortion has been a practical near-impossibility in Mississippi for years, and that's a shame. It's legal and should be offered. So we agree on that one. But that's not really racist, is it?

So far, I see nothing that supports your claim of racist, backwards, greedy politicians who conflate church and state. There are, indeed, greater opportunities in other states and that has been the case since The Civil War. So blaming it on someone who was elected three years ago is simply nonsensical.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:38 AM

1,382 posts, read 1,011,823 times
Quote:
Unemployment is way down. You can get a job here, or move for a better job. It is that simple. It is not that expensive to move these days. You are ignoring people lack of desire to work BECAUSE of the welfare.

Quote:
This just mirrors everything else in the budget. Either way, the quality of schools and teachers here isn't the problem, it's the parental involvement. Where parents are involved, schools are good. Where they aren't, they aren't. Again, it's that simple.

Quote:
not accepting Obama Care in the state
I agree we should have accepted Obama Care. Would have gotten more federal dollars into the state.

Quote:
I am also Christian and conservative but I am also of the mind that we have to give people the freedom to choose what they want to do, assuming it's legal, and federally it's legal. No reason for the state to fight the federal government, so I tend to agree. Same with the other issues. I also support changing the flag to the Stennis design.

Quote:
This is all over the country, not just Mississippi. It is usually Democrat policy that creates this wealth gap i.e. killing of the middle class. At least the governor here is actively recruiting businesses to provide jobs of all kinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi