U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 05:07 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,110,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
A better statement would have been "No. People in the delta do not understand why someone would be running".

Just speaking on my own experiences. The entirety of Mississippi does not feel that way, although more may feel that way than many other places. I see people walk/run all the time and do so myself.

Maybe it's my area.
No , it's not just your area. People take walk/run statewide and even in the delta. Some people are just comfortable in their own bubbles when making that above your statement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 09:05 PM

140 posts, read 93,789 times
There's a nice walking trail in the cypress preserve on Cypress Lane. I've walked there before but I can't remember whether I've seen anyone running there.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:49 AM

10,062 posts, read 10,576,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
Where exactly is the trail located, I can't find anything on google maps, is it within warfield point park?
It is off of South Broadway Extended. There is an off-street parking lot. At one time, a public road crossed the levee, but it is now closed to auto traffic. However, the former road has been repaved.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:30 AM

497 posts, read 779,939 times
the trail is located just on the edge of downtown and in the hood. park on the waterfront, risk your vehicle being broken while you run. park at the other end, risk your vehicle not being there when you get back. in either case, expect nothing from local law enforcement. the trail is not used near as much as one would think, the only real reason it went in is that it was 80% grant funded and "we can't turn down free money". So the city which has no money to fix roads or the failed sewer shelled out over 300k match funds to get the "free money".

your best bet is to either join the Y and use their trail, look up hodding carter memorial ymca, or to run in your neighborhood.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
the trail is located just on the edge of downtown and in the hood. park on the waterfront, risk your vehicle being broken while you run. park at the other end, risk your vehicle not being there when you get back. in either case, expect nothing from local law enforcement. the trail is not used near as much as one would think, the only real reason it went in is that it was 80% grant funded and "we can't turn down free money". So the city which has no money to fix roads or the failed sewer shelled out over 300k match funds to get the "free money".

your best bet is to either join the Y and use their trail, look up hodding carter memorial ymca, or to run in your neighborhood.
They don’t have the money to remodel the library orrestoreits original operating hours either.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:46 AM

360 posts, read 336,294 times
I didn't find a Greenville running group on Facebook but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Check around with local sporting goods stores, gyms and yoga studios. There's a pretty good chance you'll find some running routes and maybe some training partners and new friends. Running in Mississippi is pretty pleasant much of the year. Of course, summer runs can be brutal particularly during daylight hours. Dress, hydrate and plan accordingly.

Here are some running routes around Greenville.

https://www.mapmyrun.com/us/greenville-ms/

Here are some parks, recreation and fitness links in Greenville.

https://www.localgymsandfitness.com/...%26-Recreation

Greenville, Mississippi co-hosts the Mississippi River Marathon with Lake Village, Arkansas. I haven't participated in this event but I ran the Tupelo (Mississippi) Marathon and the Mississippi Blues Marathon in Jackson. There are plenty of runners in Mississippi if you know where to look for them. Good luck!

https://www.localgymsandfitness.com/...River-Marathon

Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
They don’t have the money to remodel the library orrestoreits original operating hours either.
I meant “or restore its” original operating hours.
I worked at that library for three years. It was built in 1967 and still looks like it.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 PM

oh and the city council just voted to close the trail at dark due to "safety concerns", the hours will be 530A-830P. one councilman even remarked the "hooligans wont be out at 530". They were also concerned because a member of the public saw a snake recently, imagine that a snake within a few yards of the lake! oh the horror!!!

BTW, there are no yoga studios here. but yes there are a number of runners. again, most run in their neighborhoods or at the Y.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:08 AM

360 posts, read 336,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
oh and the city council just voted to close the trail at dark due to "safety concerns", the hours will be 530A-830P. one councilman even remarked the "hooligans wont be out at 530". They were also concerned because a member of the public saw a snake recently, imagine that a snake within a few yards of the lake! oh the horror!!!

BTW, there are no yoga studios here. but yes there are a number of runners. again, most run in their neighborhoods or at the Y.

Yoga In Greenville Mississippi

Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 PM

did not know that, never heard of them before that link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi