Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times

Advertisements

Just to show how worthless these studies are. Does anyone think Madison is not significantly ahead of Brandon? I'm assuming they are pulling in a lot of 39047 (Flowood/Rez) income to get this result.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...n-us/39459245/

Mississippi: Brandon
• Median household income: $72,529 (state: $42,009)
• Poverty rate: 4.9% (state: 21.5%)
• Median home value: $169,900 (state: $109,300)
• Population: 23,421
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 10:17 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Just to show how worthless these studies are. Does anyone think Madison is not significantly ahead of Brandon? I'm assuming they are pulling in a lot of 39047 (Flowood/Rez) income to get this result.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...n-us/39459245/

Mississippi: Brandon
• Median household income: $72,529 (state: $42,009)
• Poverty rate: 4.9% (state: 21.5%)
• Median home value: $169,900 (state: $109,300)
• Population: 23,421
Why does everyone on the internet time they're smarter than people that do a job every day, for a living?

Don't you think they already have city borders, and msa borders, already well defined? Do you really think some journalist at the USA today calculated these numbers himself? Don't you think the government's if these towns would complain if they couldn't rely on basic numbers like median income being correct? Or if incomes in their own town were mistakenly being included in other towns?

These numbers are already published and can be easily googled by you if you chose to do so. You will see that Brandon's median income is significantly higher than Flowood's.

Perhaps you don't know where the lines for Brandon really are?

That being said, of course Madison median income is higher than Brandon. The journalist screwed up. But not by miscalculating Brandon. He simply didn't notice Madison was higher, probably was scanning a long list for every state, and missed it.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Why does everyone on the internet time they're smarter than people that do a job every day, for a living?

Don't you think they already have city borders, and msa borders, already well defined? Do you really think some journalist at the USA today calculated these numbers himself? Don't you think the government's if these towns would complain if they couldn't rely on basic numbers like median income being correct? Or if incomes in their own town were mistakenly being included in other towns?

These numbers are already published and can be easily googled by you if you chose to do so. You will see that Brandon's median income is significantly higher than Flowood's.

Perhaps you don't know where the lines for Brandon really are?

That being said, of course Madison median income is higher than Brandon. The journalist screwed up. But not by miscalculating Brandon. He simply didn't notice Madison was higher, probably was scanning a long list for every state, and missed it.
I'm with JP, above.
What does it matter? Are we supposed to be missing something because we don't live there?
The standard of living on my little acre is pretty good. I've got flowers blooming, birds singing everywhere, hummingbirds all over the place, frogs that bellow for attention at night, 2 dogs - and on top of that had fish tacos for dinner last night!
Some things are not for sale, even if they are all paid for.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:23 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
What does it matter?
This is what Mississippians love to do. They love to compare themselves to each other and compete like that, and then they all love to run down Jackson (and the state as a whole). Don't we have bigger issues? What if people actually united?

The funniest one is Madison people looking down on 'skankin' Rankin haha. Not to mention Ole Miss looking down their nose at Mississippi State. Then you have the north/central aristocrats looking down on the 'coast trash'.

viver is a textbook example. I do agree with him in that these rankings are usually kind of dumb. These guys can't really see past rigid lines but who cares, they tell the tale decent enough. I just wish people would compare MSAs rather than rigid city limits.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:43 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
...they all love to run down Jackson (and the state as a whole). Don't we have bigger issues? What if people actually united?
What else can we do? Living in North MS I do not have a vote in Jackson, I don't have any power to change anything, EXCEPT to point out the corruption and ineptitude of the "leaders" of that city. If enough people complain it may put pressure on them to change it. The more people who know the better. The first step of resolving a problem is knowing you have a problem. The next step I guess is caring that you have a problem. It appears Jackson leaders don't care.

Last edited by jhadorn; 05-24-2019 at 12:19 PM..

Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
This is what Mississippians love to do. They love to compare themselves to each other and compete like that, and then they all love to run down Jackson (and the state as a whole). Don't we have bigger issues? What if people actually united?

The funniest one is Madison people looking down on 'skankin' Rankin haha. Not to mention Ole Miss looking down their nose at Mississippi State. Then you have the north/central aristocrats looking down on the 'coast trash'.

viver is a textbook example. I do agree with him in that these rankings are usually kind of dumb. These guys can't really see past rigid lines but who cares, they tell the tale decent enough. I just wish people would compare MSAs rather than rigid city limits.

We (including FORMER Mississippians like me) love to, as you phrase it "run down Jackson", because many of us were RUN OUT OF Jackson. Various sinister factions finally prevailed, and created a situation we found untenable. So, instead of remaining and being the willing pawns and victims of the bad guys, we LEFT.

There was the Mayor who was widely reputed to be a mobster and a protector of organized crime in the city. But at least he was competent enough to keep the infrastructure running smoothly (though perhaps not in a way which anticipated future issues). Later, there were mayors who were dumber-than-stumps, and crooked, and incompetent and thus completely incapable of sustaining the infrastructure. ALL of them (including the reputed mobster) were hostile to the sorts of people who "unite" and cooperate to make things better.

There is no "working with" people like that. All you can do is escape their spheres of influence.

What you missed, was the long period during which people did work like crazy to make things better in Jackson. The International Ballet Competition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_In...et_Competition) is one miraculous thing which remains from that period of civic-mindedness. The great blockbuster museum exhibits (https://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/22/g...-the-road.html) are only distant memories - except maybe for a couple of Corinthian columns saved from 'Palaces of Saint Petersburg', inside 'The Shady Nook' (the area's first Greek-columned gas station - dating from the 1920s - later repurposed as offices, by an edgy architectural firm who went on to brief national fame:https://images.app.goo.gl/LjFkSxCa5BvbhWmv9 )

When the negatives became so obvious they could no longer be ignored or relativized - when it became apparent that key hires were leaving our firms/corporations, because they could not stand living in Jackson (or because they felt endangered in Jackson) - when it became apparent that we could not attract top talent, because Jackson's demographics and general skuzziness made it impossible for entry-level people to find decent places to live - when it became apparent that Jackson's police had absolutely no intention of doing their jobs (and, in fact, generally sided-with and protected criminals) - when we could no longer ignore the slow transformation of Jackson's population (the 'Best and Brightest' leaving for better places in better regions, while the 'Last and Least' remained, multiplying like rats in a grain bin - generation after generation), we, collectively, decided to find a better part of America - preferably, as far from Mississippi as we could get .

And then, we discovered Madison. We were products of, and active participants in, 'Fashionable Northeast Jackson'. We'd loved where we lived, and thought we had the best of everything. So, we weren't aware of the miracle that Mayor Mary was creating in Madison. We'd thought we would have to move thousands of miles away, to find the kind of place we (and our workforce) desired and merited. But Mary was creating that kind of milieu in Madison. Discovering Madison, kept us in the state, for about a decade.

Our workforce was/is content to live in Madison, where they can have the best of everything, for far less than it would/does cost them on Mercer Island (Seattle) or in the Bay Area (San Francisco) or in Thousand Oaks (L.A.). But while Brandon is possibly as wealthy as Madison, and while it's possibly as crime-free as Madison, and home to many very nice people, our high-IQ workforce would not have considered moving to Mississippi to live in Brandon. We did, however, manage to recruit and retain a sufficient amount of out-of-state talent, based upon Madison's superlative way of life.

The two counties are worlds apart, in some ways. Part of it is rooted in the past. Madison County's past is a rather sophisticated one - haunted by ghostly relics and memories of Antebellum grandeur - lingering as apparitions, after being suddenly and brutally murdered by Northern armies and Reconstruction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annandale_Plantation). Rankin County's past is one of outlaw hillbillies - escaped blond slaves of the raven-haired Aristocrats, Swamp Rats, and denizens of the amazingly wicked and long-lived 'Gold Coast' (Jackson Jambalaya: The Gold Coast of Rankin County).

Insidious evil lingers in Madison County, and Mayor Mary has been risking her life fighting it since the early Eighties. But it's a different kind of evil from what you'll find in Rankin County, where a parallel power structure originating in the 'Gold Coast' persists, and where the Gold Coast's biggest operators were the patriarchs of today's leading families. Madison County has one sort of problem: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eak-video.html , while Rankin County has another sort of problem: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Anderson.html

I (and two of my closest friends) have a fascination with Rankin County's beautiful men. Rankin County is up there with Nebraska, Australia, and Denmark, where supremely desirable menfolk are concerned. I've had a couple of Rankin County hunks as personal trainers. My two 'Little Birds' have had a series of "straight" Rankin County Reds as secret 'FWBs'. So we have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of Rankin County families, and Rankin County minds. I have never heard, "skankin' Rankin". But believe you me: after hearing stories straight-from-the-horse's-mouth (and "horse" definitely applies to some of those fellas), I've gotta say: they worked HARD, to earn, the title, 'Skankin Rankin'. In fact, they probably made it up, themselves - with pride. It sounds exactly like something they'd make up and consider clever.

Being a byproduct of a "commercial arrangement", in a hotel room at Biloxi's 'Tivoli' (https://images.app.goo.gl/2NgbB6FReJL8xaF57 Wouldn't it be neat, if I was being conceived, just as that photo was being taken?), I can personally attest to the fact that it's not just 'Central Mississippi Aristocrats' who consider the coast trashy. The whole state does - with good reason: https://images.app.goo.gl/fkTtXQjosXDX64WA6 From the sleazy author to the sketchy victims, that book captures the spirit of 'The Coast'.

But its the attacks upon individuals, rather than bickering between places, which send people fleeing the state. I remember a local blog, where a nurse was ridiculing a man she overheard at Broadstreet Bakery. He'd had the nerve to pronounce 'Croissant' CORRECTLY. "An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure", was her exact wording. And I remember the blog of a Sunday school teacher at Jackson's First Pres., in which she was ridiculing Madison's architecture, because, in her mind, it was "copying" things in Europe (this, while we see pics of HER, in a Phony Colonial dining room, with reproduction furniture, and reproduction mouldings). She thought that Colony Crossing, which clearly is intended as rustic French Vernacular, was a "Copy of Versailles" (an ultra-formal palace, and anything but rustic or Vernacular).

At the behest of one of the criminal developers seeking to destroy Mayor Mary and rape the City of Madison, a local Country station mounted a campaign against the triumphant architecture of a Madison retail development. "Vulnerable Adults", including a man with Dementia, and a whole battalion of white trash in tricked-out pickup trucks, formed a lynch mob, and forced the city to force the Developers of the retail center to destroy some beautiful and very expensive ornaments, "Because they looks lak MINNER-ay-itts" said one pasty-faced young "mom" in a cheap silver minivan, regurgitating words she'd heard, listening to the Country station. The destruction of that building, was my personal last straw. I relented to pressure from DH and the kids, who'd been wanting to leave Mississippi for years.

So many people leave, because of their own "last straws" - tired of being stunted, censured, ridiculed, hampered, dwarfed - because they want to be better or do better than the people around them think they should be or do. It's the attacks on the personal level, which caused most of us to leave.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-24-2019 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 04:11 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
I wonder how Chicago native Thalia Mara ended up in Jackson in the 1960s?

Old 05-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
We (including FORMER Mississippians like me) love to, as you phrase it "run down Jackson", because many of us were RUN OUT OF Jackson. Various sinister factions finally prevailed, and created a situation we found untenable. So, instead of remaining and being the willing pawns and victims of the bad guys, we LEFT.

There was the Mayor who was widely reputed to be a mobster and a protector of organized crime in the city. But at least he was competent enough to keep the infrastructure running smoothly (though perhaps not in a way which anticipated future issues). Later, there were mayors who were dumber-than-stumps, and crooked, and incompetent and thus completely incapable of sustaining the infrastructure. ALL of them (including the reputed mobster) were hostile to the sorts of people who "unite" and cooperate to make things better.

There is no "working with" people like that. All you can do is escape their spheres of influence.

What you missed, was the long period during which people did work like crazy to make things better in Jackson. The International Ballet Competition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_In...et_Competition) is one miraculous thing which remains from that period of civic-mindedness. The great blockbuster museum exhibits (https://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/22/g...-the-road.html) are only distant memories - except maybe for a couple of Corinthian columns saved from 'Palaces of Saint Petersburg', inside 'The Shady Nook' (the area's first Greek-columned gas station - dating from the 1920s - later repurposed as offices, by an edgy architectural firm who went on to brief national fame:https://images.app.goo.gl/LjFkSxCa5BvbhWmv9 )

When the negatives became so obvious they could no longer be ignored or relativized - when it became apparent that key hires were leaving our firms/corporations, because they could not stand living in Jackson (or because they felt endangered in Jackson) - when it became apparent that we could not attract top talent, because Jackson's demographics and general skuzziness made it impossible for entry-level people to find decent places to live - when it became apparent that Jackson's police had absolutely no intention of doing their jobs (and, in fact, generally sided-with and protected criminals) - when we could no longer ignore the slow transformation of Jackson's population (the 'Best and Brightest' leaving for better places in better regions, while the 'Last and Least' remained, multiplying like rats in a grain bin - generation after generation), we, collectively, decided to find a better part of America - preferably, as far from Mississippi as we could get .

And then, we discovered Madison. We were products of, and active participants in, 'Fashionable Northeast Jackson'. We'd loved where we lived, and thought we had the best of everything. So, we weren't aware of the miracle that Mayor Mary was creating in Madison. We'd thought we would have to move thousands of miles away, to find the kind of place we (and our workforce) desired and merited. But Mary was creating that kind of milieu in Madison. Discovering Madison, kept us in the state, for about a decade.

Our workforce was/is content to live in Madison, where they can have the best of everything, for far less than it would/does cost them on Mercer Island (Seattle) or in the Bay Area (San Francisco) or in Thousand Oaks (L.A.). But while Brandon is possibly as wealthy as Madison, and while it's possibly as crime-free as Madison, and home to many very nice people, our high-IQ workforce would not have considered moving to Mississippi to live in Brandon. We did, however, manage to recruit and retain a sufficient amount of out-of-state talent, based upon Madison's superlative way of life.

The two counties are worlds apart, in some ways. Part of it is rooted in the past. Madison County's past is a rather sophisticated one - haunted by ghostly relics and memories of Antebellum grandeur - lingering as apparitions, after being suddenly and brutally murdered by Northern armies and Reconstruction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annandale_Plantation). Rankin County's past is one of outlaw hillbillies - escaped blond slaves of the raven-haired Aristocrats, Swamp Rats, and denizens of the amazingly wicked and long-lived 'Gold Coast' (Jackson Jambalaya: The Gold Coast of Rankin County).

Insidious evil lingers in Madison County, and Mayor Mary has been risking her life fighting it since the early Eighties. But it's a different kind of evil from what you'll find in Rankin County, where a parallel power structure originating in the 'Gold Coast' persists, and where the Gold Coast's biggest operators were the patriarchs of today's leading families. Madison County has one sort of problem: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eak-video.html , while Rankin County has another sort of problem: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Anderson.html

I (and two of my closest friends) have a fascination with Rankin County's beautiful men. Rankin County is up there with Nebraska, Australia, and Denmark, where supremely desirable menfolk are concerned. I've had a couple of Rankin County hunks as personal trainers. My two 'Little Birds' have had a series of "straight" Rankin County Reds as secret 'FWBs'. So we have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of Rankin County families, and Rankin County minds. I have never heard, "skankin' Rankin". But believe you me: after hearing stories straight-from-the-horse's-mouth (and "horse" definitely applies to some of those fellas), I've gotta say: they worked HARD, to earn, the title, 'Skankin Rankin'. In fact, they probably made it up, themselves - with pride. It sounds exactly like something they'd make up and consider clever.

Being a byproduct of a "commercial arrangement", in a hotel room at Biloxi's 'Tivoli' (https://images.app.goo.gl/2NgbB6FReJL8xaF57 Wouldn't it be neat, if I was being conceived, just as that photo was being taken?), I can personally attest to the fact that it's not just 'Central Mississippi Aristocrats' who consider the coast trashy. The whole state does - with good reason: https://images.app.goo.gl/fkTtXQjosXDX64WA6 From the sleazy author to the sketchy victims, that book captures the spirit of 'The Coast'.

But its the attacks upon individuals, rather than bickering between places, which send people fleeing the state. I remember a local blog, where a nurse was ridiculing a man she overheard at Broadstreet Bakery. He'd had the nerve to pronounce 'Croissant' CORRECTLY. "An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure", was her exact wording. And I remember the blog of a Sunday school teacher at Jackson's First Pres., in which she was ridiculing Madison's architecture, because, in her mind, it was "copying" things in Europe (this, while we see pics of HER, in a Phony Colonial dining room, with reproduction furniture, and reproduction mouldings). She thought that Colony Crossing, which clearly is intended as rustic French Vernacular, was a "Copy of Versailles" (an ultra-formal palace, and anything but rustic or Vernacular).

At the behest of one of the criminal developers seeking to destroy Mayor Mary and rape the City of Madison, a local Country station mounted a campaign against the triumphant architecture of a Madison retail development. "Vulnerable Adults", including a man with Dementia, and a whole battalion of white trash in tricked-out pickup trucks, formed a lynch mob, and forced the city to force the Developers of the retail center to destroy some beautiful and very expensive ornaments, "Because they looks lak MINNER-ay-itts" said one pasty-faced young "mom" in a cheap silver minivan, regurgitating words she'd heard, listening to the Country station. The destruction of that building, was my personal last straw. I relented to pressure from DH and the kids, who'd been wanting to leave Mississippi for years.

So many people leave, because of their own "last straws" - tired of being stunted, censured, ridiculed, hampered, dwarfed - because they want to be better or do better than the people around them think they should be or do. It's the attacks on the personal level, which caused most of us to leave.
Oh I know all these things. I know the drill, I don't have my head stuck in the sand. My point is that the competitiveness is funny, especially considering what the outside sees when it thinks of Mississippi (right or wrong).

Old 05-28-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
What else can we do? Living in North MS I do not have a vote in Jackson, I don't have any power to change anything, EXCEPT to point out the corruption and ineptitude of the "leaders" of that city. If enough people complain it may put pressure on them to change it. The more people who know the better. The first step of resolving a problem is knowing you have a problem. The next step I guess is caring that you have a problem. It appears Jackson leaders don't care.
Ceasing your criticism would be a good start. Complaining does nothing. Do something.

Complaining on the internet only discourages people from possibly coming here and being a part of the solution.

Nothing is going to change in Jackson until those people are voted out. So the only answer is for good people to move into Jackson, or shift power from Jackson. I would prefer both happen, but since I would not move to Jackson I cannot expect anyone else to do the same. But there again, I view things in terms of the metro area, rather than just Jackson city limits. And the Jackson Metro Area has a good bit of potential.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:28 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Ceasing your criticism would be a good start. Complaining does nothing. Do something.

Complaining on the internet only discourages people from possibly coming here and being a part of the solution.

Nothing is going to change in Jackson until those people are voted out. So the only answer is for good people to move into Jackson, or shift power from Jackson. I would prefer both happen, but since I would not move to Jackson I cannot expect anyone else to do the same. But there again, I view things in terms of the metro area, rather than just Jackson city limits. And the Jackson Metro Area has a good bit of potential.
Well, I live in North MS, so I can't do much of anything. I am NOT moving to Jackson. The place has been a wreck long before I complained about it. The people who actually live there now should do better, rather than depend on someone to move there and make it decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi