U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 09:13 PM

123 posts, read 56,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
ahhh, I misread the thread and thought he was only referring to interstate highways. Clearly me not paying attention.
But, I don't know if there is a state by state consensus on mile markers is there?
I wish there was a state by state concensus on the installation of mile markers on state mandated highways. They’re much more important than people realize.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 01:16 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,115,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
US 82 between the AL state line and Winona, as well as MS Route 12 through Starkville.
Yeah, i think that's correct. You'll have to used the exits or memtal note of each place you've pass by. More details later.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Yeah, i think that's correct. You'll have to used the exits or memtal note of each place you've pass by. More details later.
The interesting thing is, the exits don’t even have numbers, making it even harder. Thankfully the geography of the state isn’t too difficult to learn and know where certain cities are. But mike markers are DEFINITELY a necessity on any state or nationally-mandated highway, no matter which state it is.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,115,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
The interesting thing is, the exits don’t even have numbers, making it even harder. Thankfully the geography of the state isn’t too difficult to learn and know where certain cities are. But mike markers are DEFINITELY a necessity on any state or nationally-mandated highway, no matter which state it is.
The exits should be used as reference point. I agree with you for out of state travelers I'm a local of that area so I'm familiar with the layout.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
The exits should be used as reference point. I agree with you for out of state travelers I'm a local of that area so I'm familiar with the layout.
The only problem is, to use exit numbers, they’d have to use the mile markers that begin at the MS River in US 82. That is, if the entire stretch was built up to interstate highway standards. Only the stretch from Starkville to the AL state line is built up to such.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 PM

497 posts, read 780,411 times
it is actually less critical now than in years past, all you have to do is open google maps and it will give your exact location. and most all counties have E-911 so calling in they can pinpoint you fairly accurately. But yes, I do agree with you that mile markers should be in place. of course the idiots driving the grass cutters would keep mowing them down like everything else in their path...….

Old 07-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
it is actually less critical now than in years past, all you have to do is open google maps and it will give your exact location. and most all counties have E-911 so calling in they can pinpoint you fairly accurately. But yes, I do agree with you that mile markers should be in place. of course the idiots driving the grass cutters would keep mowing them down like everything else in their path...….
Yeah unfortunately. I also believe that mile markers and mileage signs have equal importance, due to the similar purpose for their construction and installation. MDOT seems to be lacking in mileage signs somewhat, but not nearly as much as mile markers on local highways. These mile markers should be installed in the case of a road emergency, say where time is the essence, like in a car accident so that local authorities can know where you are right there and then. You are absolutely right though about E-911, as they can find you very easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi