Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 01:38 PM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are retired in Plano a suburb of DFW metro and considering a move to Franklin Tn area. Years ago we drove to middle TN from Houston and were on the Natchez Trace and found it very pretty and relaxing to drive. Any thoughts on taking a route I20 to near Jackson and heading to Franklin area on the Trace? Id like to see a little of Madison MS while making this trip. Any other comparable residential spois on this route through MS that I should build in time to see? Timing of our trip is in early Fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 02:41 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,056 times
You could take the I55 North exit and take I55 North to Main Street, or you could exit at the Madison/Ridgeland/Ross Barnett Reservoir exit onto Old Canton Road.

Main Street, Grandview Blvd, Highland Colony, and Hwy 51 is where you will find most of the restaurants and businesses.

North on Old Canton Road will take you to more or less a residential area with the airport, a church, school, etc.

Or go south on Old Canton Road to Rice Road and take a left. This will take you by the Reservoir area with a park and 3 or 4 restaurants.

Last edited by jhadorn; 06-27-2019 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 03:17 PM

Thanks from exploring on the internet some it appears Reunion would be considered the most deisreable community to live in assuming finances work in the area or maybe even state? What are other communities that would be considered competition for Reunion along my planned route?

Old 06-28-2019, 04:56 AM

I recall the speed limit on the trace is lower than on an interstate but otherwise do not recall it being a slow route at all? Thanks for any advice

Old 06-28-2019, 07:13 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I recall the speed limit on the trace is lower than on an interstate but otherwise do not recall it being a slow route at all? Thanks for any advice
It's 50 I think. Stop into the Council House in French Camp for a great BLT. There is cool stuff all up and down the Trace.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I'm not as familiar with the neighborhoods around the Jackson area as some others on this board. I'm surprised no-one else has answered the previous question about neighborhoods comparable to Reunion.

As for the Trace, the speed limit is 50. Speeding on the Trace is a pet peeve of mine, since my uncle was killed by someone here illegally going 90 miles per hour on the Trace. He was passing cars and caught my uncle on a bridge. My uncle was able to almost completely stop but had nowhere to go.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:42 AM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
It's 50 I think. Stop into the Council House in French Camp for a great BLT. There is cool stuff all up and down the Trace.
The speed limit is 50; everything below 60 is tolerated. Be careful around bicycles. We have lost several people over the years.

Are you a reader? .......... Read "The Devils Backbone", which is the story of The Trace. If you really get interested in The Trace you will want to visit Natchez where it begins. But that is not on your planned route.
In case you do not know:.... "Trace" is an old word for "trail". Before there were steam boats, commerce was done by floating down the river to Natchez and then walking back along old animal and Indian trails to Nashville. In those years (pre - Civil War) ships could come up the river to Natchez and that's how trade goods left America. Meriwether Lewis (Lewis and Clarke) died on The Trace in those early 1800 years. The spot is marked.

Tupelo is also a good place to get off and find something to eat and so forth. I'm sure you know that there are no services at all on The Trace, and few signs of any sort.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The speed limit is 50; everything below 60 is tolerated.
That isn't accurate. Do 60 on the Trace and you will end up with about a 400 dollar ticket if caught. The Trace isn't a road you take to get somewhere fast. It is a scenic parkway, and you are sharing the road with bikes.

It's also a federal offense instead of a state.

https://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/news/...interstate.htm

https://natchez-trace.thefuntimesgui...eeding_ticket/

https://www.wsmv.com/news/spike-in-d...832e09d21.html

Last edited by jhadorn; 06-28-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 06-28-2019, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info on the Trace, I had forgotten most of what I remembered about it other than how pretty it was with the huge trees along it in many spots.

I am planning to spend a night near Madison to break the trip up and allow some time to see some of the area around Madison, Reunion and any other nice residential areas near by.

It appears the weather is similar to Dallas as both are similar distances northr and going to be influenced by moisture coming in from the gulf

Old 06-28-2019, 10:36 AM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
That isn't accurate. Do 60 on the Trace and you will end up with about a 400 dollar ticket if caught. The Trace isn't a road you take to get somewhere fast. It is a scenic parkway, and you are sharing the road with bikes...........
I've never actually known anyone to get a ticket on The Trace. Everyone I know has gotten warnings after being pulled over. We live on it and use it almost daily.

I got warned off The Trace once when I had boxes in the back of my pickup. Not allowed.
No ticket, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi