U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,210 times

Advertisements

Hi there I am from the UK and I am looking to move to the USA with my family preferably to a majority populated black(African-American) suburb. Prices is not really an issue, but I strongly believe in good schools and clean neighborhoods(not much crime). Any suggestions????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 11:34 AM

135 posts, read 78,513 times
Olive Branch and Southaven, Mississippi are probably the two best choices in Mississippi. The towns are about 25 to 30% black residents, and the schools about 30 to 35% black students. These are large towns of 40,000 to 60,000 people and are likely to have some middle-class neighborhoods that are majority black or perhaps 50/50 black/white.

The nice thing about these particular suburbs is that they are incredibly safe, with highly ranked schools, but also the household incomes among black and white residents are virtually identical. In some suburbs this is not always the case, where white households may live in residential subdivisions and black residents live in apartment complexes. However, in DeSoto County, Mississippi, these suburbs are genuinely integrated and mutually prosperous.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:52 PM

18,599 posts, read 10,903,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
May want to check the OP's posting history.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:01 PM

3,321 posts, read 4,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivbaz View Post
Hi there I am from the UK and I am looking to move to the USA with my family preferably to a majority populated black(African-American) suburb. Prices is not really an issue, but I strongly believe in good schools and clean neighborhoods(not much crime). Any suggestions????

What you are seeking, does not exist in Mississippi. Additionally, most years, Mississippi has the distinction of being named, "Worst Place in America, to be Black", and "Worst Place in America, to be a Child". There are basically no services. And there is basically no public transportation. It's a terrible place, for anyone who is not affluent, self-sufficient, and highly motivated.

I notice that you didn't mention prospects for employment. What is it, exactly, that you do?

Old 06-29-2019, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
What you are seeking, does not exist in Mississippi. Additionally, most years, Mississippi has the distinction of being named, "Worst Place in America, to be Black", and "Worst Place in America, to be a Child". There are basically no services. And there is basically no public transportation. It's a terrible place, for anyone who is not affluent, self-sufficient, and highly motivated.

I notice that you didn't mention prospects for employment. What is it, exactly, that you do?
Thanks for that insight, I own two McDonald's franchises in the UK by the way.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:00 PM

I stand by my description of Olive Branch and Southaven. It's a very good area. Census and school statistics bear it out.

The Memphis area overall has by far the largest percentage of middle-class black residents in the nation among large metro areas, which presumably increases the chances of the desired scenario of safe, middle class suburbs with good schools that are either majority black or a sizable portion of the middle class population. The other main Memphis suburbs are mostly white though and it's the Olive Branch and Southaven areas which seem to be the most successfully integrated among middle class households.

Besides the Memphis metro area, Atlanta is probably your best bet (or indeed Maryland where I noticed you were also looking). You might look at Bowie, Maryland. I know someone who is black and an executive, and lives in the Bowie area and loves it.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:13 PM

Also, I googled and came across this article that lists the best black suburbs in the U.S!

One of them is DeSoto, Texas just outside Dallas. It's hard to go wrong with Dallas, frankly. There are five cities listed in Maryland, presumably with all those good federal government jobs. Also two in New York and one in Illinois. That said, I'm definitely no expert but common sense says Atlanta is the way to go, if not the Memphis area.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/10-a...rican-suburbs/

Old 06-30-2019, 12:47 AM

769 posts, read 788,827 times
I agree with what brickpatio posted. if you want a population of African American that makes up over 20% that has good schools then Desoto county would be the best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi