U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:58 PM

141 posts, read 84,425 times

Advertisements

I agree that politicians on all sides are corrupt. My point is that lack of competition breeds corruption because there is no accountability for the party in power.

It sounds like you're saying that corrupt Republicans in Mississippi are held accountable as a result of primaries. You're probably right on an individual seat by seat basis, when an individual politician does something too obviously blatant.

The real competition though is between parties where the differences are more obvious. When the public has had enough of one party, they give the other side a shot. However, a one-party state is a guaranteed cess pool.

Mississippi may be a couple of decades away from no longer being a one-party state, but nearby states are indeed about to switch sides. The reason is that Republicans have branded themselves as against everyone who isn't like them, and unfortunately most people moving into the U.S. are not part of the Republicans' desired group. It's a historic mistake on the part of the Republicans and eventually they'll adjust and build back, but nevertheless foolish on their part.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 11:16 AM

14,056 posts, read 20,291,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I agree that politicians on all sides are corrupt. My point is that lack of competition breeds corruption because there is no accountability for the party in power.

It sounds like you're saying that corrupt Republicans in Mississippi are held accountable as a result of primaries. You're probably right on an individual seat by seat basis, when an individual politician does something too obviously blatant.

The real competition though is between parties where the differences are more obvious. When the public has had enough of one party, they give the other side a shot. However, a one-party state is a guaranteed cess pool.

Mississippi may be a couple of decades away from no longer being a one-party state, but nearby states are indeed about to switch sides. The reason is that Republicans have branded themselves as against everyone who isn't like them, and unfortunately most people moving into the U.S. are not part of the Republicans' desired group. It's a historic mistake on the part of the Republicans and eventually they'll adjust and build back, but nevertheless foolish on their part.
The MS house has 48 democrats and 74 republicans
The MS senate has 19 democrats and 33 republicans
The MS Attorney General is democrat.
So it's not exclusively "one party" and our political system has appropriate checks and balances to ensure it's not entirely majority rules.

But your last paragraph is decidedly partisan and biased so it doesn't justify a comment. The only comment I have, besides that you might find the "esteemed" P&C forum here to your liking where people throw unsupported claims back and forth, is that only 15 years ago MS was decidedly more democratic - with a democrat government and majority representation in state legislation. Back then the voters choose to switch back over to majority republican. And so it goes...

Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 PM

One-party state is a metaphor, to point out that virtually every position of power and an overwhelming majority of the legislature are all one party, and this scenario has been maintained for a long period with no change in sight.

This may even be favorable in certain ways from a policy perspective, but the lack of vibrancy in competing for voters in election lends itself to brazenly self-serving and corrupt behavior. It's a fact of human nature.

My characterization of how Republicans have branded themselves is stating the obvious. If they are getting one-third of Hispanic and Asian votes in major Republican states where those groups are very rapidly growing (and near zero black and LGBT voters and hardly any Jewish, Muslim, other voters), they will have no choice but to reconsider the tone of their political rhetoric.

There are ways to discuss immigration and trade issues and civil rights that don't overtly appeal to voter prejudices. There are ways to recruit diverse candidates as a means to indicating to all groups that Republicans are not against them.

If not in 2020, Republicans will be forced to make these changes by 2024 based on population demographic changes in the largest Republican states. I consider these points as empirical observations.

I believe that once Republicans face these realities, the end result will be that both parties market themselves to all groups. The result will be a more vibrant competitive political environment that will root out some of the stagnation and corruption that pervades the system.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:07 PM

14,056 posts, read 20,291,688 times
Many of us are sick of partisan political discussion and you are bringing up topics out of scope to the MS forum so once again I kindly invite you to take it to this forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM

That’s fine but the topic was about Republican political corruption in Mississippi, and my hypothesis is that the Republicans’ brazen behavior is due to lack of much competition between parties in Mississippi, which like it or not is tied to the way parties are heavily aligned by race. Nationally that’s not going to work for Republicans much longer and eventually in Mississippi as well, with both parties competing for all voters as it should be. But I’m happy to leave it at that.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 PM

12,859 posts, read 16,408,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
That’s fine but the topic was about Republican political corruption in Mississippi, and my hypothesis is that the Republicans’ brazen behavior is due to lack of much competition between parties in Mississippi, which like it or not is tied to the way parties are heavily aligned by race. Nationally that’s not going to work for Republicans much longer and eventually in Mississippi as well, with both parties competing for all voters as it should be. But I’m happy to leave it at that.
I thought the topic was a silly law proposition quibbling over food names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi