Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

With this relatively weak hurricane brewing in the gulf, how far north into mississippi do residents worry about wind damage from this strength storm? How about flooding are part os Jackson at risk with a wet storm like this if it moves slowly through the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Storm surge does the most damage, obviously that is only along the coast. Wind damage as well, but hurricanes collapse quickly when they hit land and no longer have warm water to feed on.

For a minimal hurricane I wouldn't worry at all about being in Jackson, some wind, some rain, no big deal...except for tornadoes that can spin off but you don't need a hurricane for that. That's a typical spring storm for us in the mid-south.

Also if you live in a trailer park - because God seems to hate trailer parks and will target those specifically.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:22 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Generally within about a hundred miles inland is where most of the wind damage occurs. I’m in Alabama but I live about 55 miles inland, and my town got pretty severe damage from Ivan (2004) and Fredrick (1979).

Hurricane Michael last year flattened forests well into Georgia. Generally they don’t weaken much until the whole eye is over land. If you look at the FL panhandle for example, by the time the southern eyewall is on land, the northern eyewall is already crossing into Alabama.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:03 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Thanks both, that is about what I figured. I lived in Houston for decades and my biggest fear was flooding which happened with tropical storm Harvey. Fortunately we had moved to DFW by then we are about 300 miles inland from the gulf and more hills and better drainage over all than Houston. I was in New Orleans for a summer job in 1969 when Camille came into the coast of Mississippi. Tornadoes do not scare me as their impact area is small but a hurricane is a whole other thing

Old 07-12-2019, 11:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Thanks both, that is about what I figured. I lived in Houston for decades and my biggest fear was flooding which happened with tropical storm Harvey. Fortunately we had moved to DFW by then we are about 300 miles inland from the gulf and more hills and better drainage over all than Houston. I was in New Orleans for a summer job in 1969 when Camille came into the coast of Mississippi. Tornadoes do not scare me as their impact area is small but a hurricane is a whole other thing
I grew up in Central Florida. Hurricanes are nothing, I've been through enough. But I've never been more scared then when I moved to the Memphis area and went through a few tornado seasons - bad storms, then power goes out, pitch dark in the house, pitch dark outside, and then the local tornado sirens go off....those sirens - it's like an announcement "you will die in a few minutes".

Old 07-12-2019, 12:43 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I grew up in Central Florida. Hurricanes are nothing, I've been through enough. But I've never been more scared then when I moved to the Memphis area and went through a few tornado seasons - bad storms, then power goes out, pitch dark in the house, pitch dark outside, and then the local tornado sirens go off....those sirens - it's like an announcement "you will die in a few minutes".
.... And worst of all is the night-time tornadoes. We had a couple over the last few years and I walked outside with the dogs. Even the dogs seemed spooked by the still night air and those sirens endlessly wailing.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:37 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Tornadoes are the worst and like Listener said night time ones are scary.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:21 PM

184 posts, read 205,160 times
Id say around Hattiesburg. Katrina happened right before I got to USM, they said they didn't get any damage but they did get a lot of evacuees. Tornados in that area is another story.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
Id say around Hattiesburg. Katrina happened right before I got to USM, they said they didn't get any damage but they did get a lot of evacuees. Tornados in that area is another story.
Katrina caused plenty of damage in H'burg and into Jackson. Rain saturates the round, weakening the soil, then wind pushes trees over.

Much of Hattiesburg was without power for a week or so due to downed trees.

Google - Hattiesburg Katrina Damage.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:43 AM

151 posts, read 106,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Katrina caused plenty of damage in H'burg and into Jackson. Rain saturates the round, weakening the soil, then wind pushes trees over.

Much of Hattiesburg was without power for a week or so due to downed trees.

Google - Hattiesburg Katrina Damage.
Yes, I was living in Minnesota at the time and I recall a city about 35 miles from me ( St Cloud MN...pop 70,000) deciding to help by "adopting" a specific city in Mississippi.
Hattiesburg was chosen and a delegation went from St Cloud to Hattiesburg to help out, deliver supplies, and $$$$$$$$ that had been raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi