U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 AM

10,062 posts, read 10,577,810 times

Advertisements

I don’t know if any state has ever gone from one of the poorest to one of the wealthiest.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:16 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,269,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The question was, "Is the State better off now than it was 4 and 8 years ago?"
It is. Clearly. In fact, Mississippi GDP has never been as high as it is now. So you gave the wrong answer.
Mississippi GDP may be at a 10 year high, but the question I have is:

Is that a result of inflation, and have other states outpaced us in GDP? In both cases the 10 year high means very little.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 PM

18,606 posts, read 10,916,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post

Is that a result of inflation, and have other states outpaced us in GDP? In both cases the 10 year high means very little.
I dunno. That wasn't the question I answered.

Mississippi is at an all time GDP high. So we certainly are better off than we used to be.
If, however, you feel compelled to move to a state that is doing better simply because they are doing better, you might consider Washington state. They have a much higher growth rate and they rank 3rd in overall economy. I used to live there; nice place.

Here's the list. All ya gotta do is pick one.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 PM

974 posts, read 1,015,734 times
Debating whether MS is last in most statistical categories or if it has improved is really a moot point to this discussion. We need to focus on moving forward - understanding that a continuation of current leadership will likely be in play over the next eight years.

In a post-agrarian era, Mississippi has likely been at the bottom or close to it for the entire time. Has the state improved over the last 10 to 20 years? Likely, but it is still at or near the bottom.

Tate is going to be elected governor (I'm not a fan, but realize it will happen) and Republican Leadership will continue to dominate for the next 15-20 years or so (until the minority population reaches the point it can impact state-wide elections). At the national level, Democrats have gone so far left that their prominence in the heartland will continue to decline, unless, on the off chance, a centrist leader like Bill Clinton emerges.

Working under the parameters outlined above, what are some things we can get accomplished in the next few years to improve the state? I have not heard Tate list any such goals.

It would be interesting to compare MS to Iowa. Small states, with little influence and a historically agricultural based economy. What have they done differently? Can we learn anything from them? Post WW II, did agricultural workers in Iowa forsee the future and move or start pointing their children in other lines of work?

Old 07-15-2019, 06:03 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,577,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre

It would be interesting to compare MS to Iowa. Small states, with little influence and a historically agricultural based economy. What have they done differently? Can we learn anything from them? Post WW II, did agricultural workers in Iowa forsee the future and move or start pointing their children in other lines of work?
Iowa was largely settled by Germans, Dutch, and Scandinavians -people who were known for their thriftiness, work ethic, and aversion to conflict.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 AM

1,345 posts, read 982,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Iowa was largely settled by Germans, Dutch, and Scandinavians -people who were known for their thriftiness, work ethic, and aversion to conflict.
Yeah I was about to say, there really aren't that many 'core' similarities between MS and IA.

The better comparison is South Carolina, but even they are bigger. The key is looking to see what they have done, and try to emulate it. Very similar in the way the towns are set up, no really huge cities or metro areas, and the most money in both states is on the coasts/waterways.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:34 PM

11,454 posts, read 8,213,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post

Can't tell from the link if the 1% growth was due to inflation or not............

But MS was tied for fourth from the bottom on that list. So it looks like a situation of slowly moving forward and still getting a little bit further behind.

But it appears that it's the best GDP growth in quite some time according to the bar graph they had in the link.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,245,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
I would hedge a bet on Tater. Most Republicans in this state don't like him. Last poll I saw shows Reeves down but it's still July.
I would guess that Tate ultimately will win. He's built up a pretty big war chest and he's positioned himself as being the typical traditional conservative being most in-line with recent Republican governors (ie Phil Bryant, etc.). I don't know that Tate is what Mississippi needs but I expect he will be what the State gets. Waller won't be able to beat Reeves, as he simply waited too long to announce and get in the race. The timing of Waller's move was a head-scratcher, as Tate had built up so much money by that point and had a big lead in name recognition. If Waller really wanted to win, he really needed to be in the race months before he jumped in.

So, I guess the race really will be between Reeves & Hood. I don't live in Mississippi anymore but, if I had to, I probably would just hold my nose and vote for Hood rather than voting for Reeves. If Tate wins, I expect he probably will get 8 years like Bryant & Barbour.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:22 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,269,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I dunno. That wasn't the question I answered.

Mississippi is at an all time GDP high. So we certainly are better off than we used to be.
If, however, you feel compelled to move to a state that is doing better simply because they are doing better, you might consider Washington state. They have a much higher growth rate and they rank 3rd in overall economy. I used to live there; nice place.

Here's the list. All ya gotta do is pick one.
Uh huh. You know it's OK to ask that question so you know if you are being lulled into a false sense of progress. It's OK to be critical, otherwise you always accept the status quo.

Did you hear me say I was compelled to move to another state? I am born and raised in Mississippi, I have the right to be critical of it if I want to. You also have the right to say what you said. I was questioning Mississippi and being critical of it, so I can just get the heck out lol. That's what makes America great.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:18 AM

2,173 posts, read 3,518,102 times
I'm still laughing at Germans and Dutch being known for their aversion to conflict!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi