Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 03:16 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

On Sunday, I had to make a run to The Big Supermarket. Since it was about noon, That Woman suggested that I pick up something from the deli, and bring it home for lunch.
I went to the deli, but the food looked old and the people looked pretty uninterested, too. No problem. The Smaller Store has a deli, too.
The smaller Store is frequented by lots of Black folks. White people use, it, too, mind you, but The Smaller Store has been here for many, many years and has a large Black clientele.
Keep in mid it's right after church, so I stand in line at the deli. I'm the only White guy there; Black women above the age of 50 made up the rest of the group. That's not a problem for me; I'm comfortable. Just waiting my turn.
I was listening to the chatter in the group, but not saying anything. They greeted each other with familiarity and enthusiasm. I nodded to some of them, but did not know anyone. The Older Lady declared that she needed a hug from her younger friend. As she hugged her younger friend, she caught my eye, and declared, "You too! You ain't hugging nobody, and e'ry'body needs hugging". So the next thing I know she had done "grabbed aholt" and was hugging me, like I was a lost brother. Then the other women took her lead and everybody in the group had to hug everybody else. All eight of us.

It was ridiculous, and we all laughed and laughed.
When I got home, I told That Woman, and we both enjoyed the story all over again. Hugs from strangers!

Awright, here's the question:
How long do you think I would have to live in Chicago before that happened up there?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 03:38 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Nice story. And it's not surprising that it happened.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:47 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
On Sunday, I had to make a run to The Big Supermarket. Since it was about noon, That Woman suggested that I pick up something from the deli, and bring it home for lunch.
I went to the deli, but the food looked old and the people looked pretty uninterested, too. No problem. The Smaller Store has a deli, too.
The smaller Store is frequented by lots of Black folks. White people use, it, too, mind you, but The Smaller Store has been here for many, many years and has a large Black clientele.
Keep in mid it's right after church, so I stand in line at the deli. I'm the only White guy there; Black women above the age of 50 made up the rest of the group. That's not a problem for me; I'm comfortable. Just waiting my turn.
I was listening to the chatter in the group, but not saying anything. They greeted each other with familiarity and enthusiasm. I nodded to some of them, but did not know anyone. The Older Lady declared that she needed a hug from her younger friend. As she hugged her younger friend, she caught my eye, and declared, "You too! You ain't hugging nobody, and e'ry'body needs hugging". So the next thing I know she had done "grabbed aholt" and was hugging me, like I was a lost brother. Then the other women took her lead and everybody in the group had to hug everybody else. All eight of us.

When I got home, I told That Woman, and we both enjoyed the story all over again. Hugs from strangers!

How long do you think I would have to live in Chicago before that happened up there?....
Why would you even joke about living in Chicago? Anyway about a thousand years.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Why would you even joke about living in Chicago? Anyway about a thousand years.
I actually lived there for a couple of years.
Yeah. It would never happen in Chicago.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:49 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
I actually lived there for a couple of years.
Yeah. It would never happen in Chicago.
Maybe at a Boystown gay bar.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Really nice story. I wish that sort of thing happened more often. People don't even greet each other where I live.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Really nice story. I wish that sort of thing happened more often. People don't even greet each other where I live.
It's a cultural thing and a regional thing. I would not expect that action from a group of White women, though; it's more of a Black thing.

Most Southerners greet each other, and most Southerners touch each other as we're talking. I've lived all over - Seattle, San Diego, Chicago and lots of other places, too. When I was away from the South I missed it precisely because of the way strangers greet each other.
We hosted a visitor from Ukraine a few years back. She said people would think she was crazy if she went back to Ukraine and greeted strangers on the street the way we do here. She found it very strange. I can only imagine her reaction of some stranger wanted to hug her!

Old 09-04-2019, 09:50 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:

On my last trip to Mississippi last October (I passed through Tupelo AND I AM KICKING MYSELF FOR NOT REACHING OUT TO YOU!)

....Anyway, on my last trip out there last October, I was gassing up my rental car in Horn Lake and on my way to visit jhadorn in Senatobia, escaping the riff raff of Memphis and an elderly man was lamenting he had an empty gas tank and had to get to Coldwater. Well, since where he was going was literally ten minutes from where I was going. I asked him to come over and I stuck my gas nozzle into his cannister he was holding and gave him $30 worth of gas. He thanked me profusely.

Really, it is just the small things. And I'm not even a Southerner.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:49 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
On my last trip to Mississippi last October (I passed through Tupelo AND I AM KICKING MYSELF FOR NOT REACHING OUT TO YOU!)

....Anyway, on my last trip out there last October, I was gassing up my rental car in Horn Lake and on my way to visit jhadorn in Senatobia, escaping the riff raff of Memphis and an elderly man was lamenting he had an empty gas tank and had to get to Coldwater. Well, since where he was going was literally ten minutes from where I was going. I asked him to come over and I stuck my gas nozzle into his cannister he was holding and gave him $30 worth of gas. He thanked me profusely.

Really, it is just the small things. And I'm not even a Southerner.
Must have been a big canister to hold thirty dollars worth
of gas.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:23 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Must have been a big canister to hold thirty dollars worth
of gas.
Yeah it was on the bigger end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi