U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:08 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,572,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
Is the population of Mississippi shrinking relative to population growth? It has to be, I'm noticing lots of school district consolidation, and even in my small home town the middle school sits empty, the HS in the next town over sits empty. Young people with any kind of education or talent are leaving the state as soon as they can. No economic opportunity coupled with stagnant social change, and deeply entrenched racism, make this a horrible place to raise a family. Especially for minorities with any type of ambition.
You’ll find the same problem of small towns drying up throughout rural areas, even ones that vote Democrat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 10:13 PM

769 posts, read 788,997 times
Quote:
Is the population of Mississippi shrinking relative to population growth? It has to be, I'm noticing lots of school district consolidation, and even in my small home town the middle school sits empty, the HS in the next town over sits empty. Young people with any kind of education or talent are leaving the state as soon as they can. No economic opportunity coupled with stagnant social change, and deeply entrenched racism, make this a horrible place to raise a family. Especially for minorities with any type of ambition.
Rural towns are shrinking around the country as a whole.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:00 PM

18,599 posts, read 10,906,644 times
Quote:
It's not growing. But not quite shrinking, either. Illinois, W Va, and VT are actually shrinking.

I was disappointed when my College Grad grandson took a teaching job in MS and married a girl who also is a teacher. Worse yet, he accepted a supplementary position as a football coach. They are here for life.

Ambitious, curious young people should look elsewhere for a career. I think most of them do, eventually.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:15 AM

1,339 posts, read 978,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's not growing. But not quite shrinking, either. Illinois, W Va, and VT are actually shrinking.

I was disappointed when my College Grad grandson took a teaching job in MS and married a girl who also is a teacher. Worse yet, he accepted a supplementary position as a football coach. They are here for life.

Ambitious, curious young people should look elsewhere for a career. I think most of them do, eventually.
Not sure why you post this garbage. There are plenty of good careers to be had in various sectors. The only reason to really leave the state is if you want to a huge metropolitan area (and many people do).

There are logistics jobs out the ying-yang in Desoto County and Jackson. Shipbuilding and military in South Mississippi. The Stennis Center is hiring people all the time. CSpire and Ingalls have their own training academies for pete's sake. Continental, Nissan, Toyota - these places hire white collar people too. Golden Triangle area? Great jobs all over and they are desperately trying to train more people every day.

The past few years have been pretty awesome as far as job creation in the state. Again, if you want a tech job or just want a HUGE metropolitan booming area, your best bet is Nashville or somewhere like that. But there are plenty of avenues here.

Some of you are simply some bitter, bitter, bitter people.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:50 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,268,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Not sure why you post this garbage. There are plenty of good careers to be had in various sectors. The only reason to really leave the state is if you want to a huge metropolitan area (and many people do).

There are logistics jobs out the ying-yang in Desoto County and Jackson. Shipbuilding and military in South Mississippi. The Stennis Center is hiring people all the time. CSpire and Ingalls have their own training academies for pete's sake. Continental, Nissan, Toyota - these places hire white collar people too. Golden Triangle area? Great jobs all over and they are desperately trying to train more people every day.

The past few years have been pretty awesome as far as job creation in the state. Again, if you want a tech job or just want a HUGE metropolitan booming area, your best bet is Nashville or somewhere like that. But there are plenty of avenues here.

Listener is quick to point out flaws in Mississippi and badmouth the state as he sees fit, but is equally as quick to chastise me for doing so. It's OK though. Nothing wrong with pointing out things that need correcting, but a little hypocritical to do so and railroad me for doing it.

Only a proponent of Mississippi when it's convenient and doesn't affect him or his family I guess.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you post this garbage.............
Because it is what I believe. I have lived in many places, some were better than others.
Mississippi generally does not have much to offer, although there are places where that is not true. I think young people are better off leaving Mississippi and experiencing the rest of America, at least for a while. A study done some years ago found that 70% of Mississippians had never lived anywhere else, and I see that as a problem.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,109,203 times
Quote:

Agreed.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:59 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,109,203 times
Quote:
Because it is what I believe. I have lived in many places, some were better than others.
Mississippi generally does not have much to offer, although there are places where that is not true. I think young people are better off leaving Mississippi and experiencing the rest of America, at least for a while. A study done some years ago found that 70% of Mississippians had never lived anywhere else, and I see that as a problem.
Opinonated with travel.

I think we spoke on this before, that can be applied to every state residents. Just because they have lived in their home state their lifetime doesn't mean they haven't traveled to other locations. Different strokes for different folks. Not all young people are attracted to the hustle & bustle of large cities, some of us actually do like mid size to small cities.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:03 PM

There are two different issues being conflated.
The first is the idea that Mississippi is a hotbed of ignorance and racism that is unexpressed in any other state. That's simply not true. Racism and ignorance exist in every corner of every state. So singling out a single act of racism and saying, "I knew it! Mississippi again!" is simply unfair. We do not live in a hotbed of ignorance and intolerance. We do have ignorant people - just like every other state.

The other idea is that Mississippi lacks opportunity. I stand by my feeling that is does lack opportunity. A simple demonstration could be the issue of wages. Carpenters make $36,770/year in MS and that's pretty low on a national scale - 48th in fact.
You get similar results when you compare family income in Mississippi to family income in the US. $55K vs $73K.
Per capita income is even worse. Follow the above link.

People will go where the jobs are if they can. And the ones that "can" are very often the ones who have responded the best to educational opportunities.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:04 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,268,350 times
Quote:
...Mississippi is a hotbed of ignorance and racism that is unexpressed in any other state. That's simply not true...
I did not say Mississippi is a "hotbed" of racism, however, for a small population state we have more than our share of incidents. Denying interracial couples of being married, sheriffs texting racist remarks, up until a few years ago one of the few segregated proms in existence, lawsuit because of racist way of choosing governors, Hyde-Smith on camera saying if she was invited to a public hanging she would be on the front row... I could go on but I don't think I need to.

My point is some people, even ones in a public capacity, are saying and doing these things. It's Mississippi so you know it gets attention. It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi