U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2019, 11:29 AM
 
4,526 posts, read 1,006,789 times
Reputation: 4083

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Thanks for the tip LMAO . I have lived all over the US and in Europe as well ( non military ) and have not ever NEEDED to check violent crime rates and have no regrets . I can live just about anywhere .
A person with an attitude probably does have a hard time getting along - with anyone .
Glad my mind is not so closed .
You can learn the easy way or the hard way. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2019, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
2,025 posts, read 1,117,618 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Only in the most simple and juvenile understanding of the words.

Yes, the word racism was coined at a particular time in history. But the word describes actions and opinions that existed for millennia before it was coined, and still exist today.

Even though the word didn't even exist yet:
- It was racism when the Moors enslaved white Spaniards the 8th-15th centuries; likewise,
- It was racism when the Spanish enslaved black Moors after the Reconquista;
- It was racism when the Japanese enslaved Koreans in the 16th century, and no Europeans were even involved!

Trying to insist that "racism" only applies to white people because that was the meaning at the exact moment in history when it was coined is a fruitless and borderline ridiculous position. It's like saying "gay" (from Old French, "gai") does and always will mean nothing more than "carefree". Or that "literally" will never be allowed as an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible.
Your simply cherry picking historic discrimination & prejudice that shape cultures differently than the U.S.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,890 posts, read 4,289,590 times
Reputation: 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Your simply cherry picking historic discrimination & prejudice that shape cultures differently than the U.S.
No, I am not. Far from "cherry picking", I could list pages of examples from history that meet the modern world-wide accepted definition of "racism".

The following facts are strangely surprising to some people:
  • The world is bigger than the borders of of the United States of America;
  • Human events have been occurring for more than 300(ish) years; and
  • Racism has involved more people than the specific ethnic group known as "African Americans".

For what it's worth, and in my humble opinion: Africans, as a race, have gotten screwed by racism far worse than any other group in history. But just because they got it the worst doesn't mean they were the only victims. Nor does it mean they have never turned it about and been the perpetrators.

The belief that racism can only exist when the victims are African and the perpetrators are White/European is the tiny, tiny minority around the world. Specifically, it is limited to a tiny minority of people in the USA.



I love this graphic... it fits soooo many arguments these days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
2,025 posts, read 1,117,618 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, I am not. Far from "cherry picking", I could list pages of examples from history that meet the modern world-wide accepted definition of "racism".

The following facts are strangely surprising to some people:
  • The world is bigger than the borders of of the United States of America;
  • Human events have been occurring for more than 300(ish) years; and
  • Racism has involved more people than the specific ethnic group known as "African Americans".

For what it's worth, and in my humble opinion: Africans, as a race, have gotten screwed by racism far worse than any other group in history. But just because they got it the worst doesn't mean they were the only victims. Nor does it mean they have never turned it about and been the perpetrators.

The belief that racism can only exist when the victims are African and the perpetrators are White/European is the tiny, tiny minority around the world. Specifically, it is limited to a tiny minority of people in the USA.



I love this graphic... it fits soooo many arguments these days.
Your going on a long summary of rascism when it ended with the core answer. Perhaps you misunderstand my context. In relation to the OP theme, it's a cause & effect that continue to be passed down to every generation.

The specific form of rascism in which 1 culture places itself within a socially construct hierarchy over all cultures. This is more than white v black, it's white over all else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 02:27 PM
 
2,047 posts, read 732,033 times
Reputation: 4948
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
What exactly are you worried about?

- a black person denying you a job?
- a black person not letting you into their place of business, because of religious reasons?
- an armed group of black men, carrying Black Supremacist (?) signs and advocating that whites go back to Europe?

Whuo are all these black racists you're worrying about, and what impact are they having in your life?
Perhaps, the OP is concerned with something like what is happening in Baltimore- on the Harbor? And everywhere else
https://youtu.be/G9dRstSpaSc

https://youtu.be/W991Fkx0oOY

https://youtu.be/A0Pb5OKAm-U

https://youtu.be/ksuhDS1SqUI

https://youtu.be/XFZR0Zxucvw

Euphemistically, they call those attacks “ random”- but nothing is “random” about that.
A strange thing- the more disturbing videos of a brazen and brutal daylight attack and robbery of a young men - a passerby by a group of 10-12 young people - disappeared from the media. Can’t find it anymore.
You guess the skin color of the attackers and the victim

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-25-2019 at 03:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 03:15 PM
 
2,047 posts, read 732,033 times
Reputation: 4948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Only in the most simple and juvenile understanding of the words.

Yes, the word racism was coined at a particular time in history. But the word describes actions and opinions that existed for millennia before it was coined, and still exist today.

Even though the word didn't even exist yet:
- It was racism when the Moors enslaved white Spaniards the 8th-15th centuries; likewise,
- It was racism when the Spanish enslaved black Moors after the Reconquista;
- It was racism when the Japanese enslaved Koreans in the 16th century, and no Europeans were even involved!

Trying to insist that "racism" only applies to white people because that was the meaning at the exact moment in history when it was coined is a fruitless and borderline ridiculous position. It's like saying "gay" (from Old French, "gai") does and always will mean nothing more than "carefree". Or that "literally" will never be allowed as an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible.
Dude
Some of your arguments show a somewhat confused understanding of the history, slavery and racism. We know now through a DNA- that biologically we are all the same - no race exists. It is in our collective heads, as we were taught wrong about distinct differences- which only happened to be a skin color.
Yes, there are different upbringing, culture, traditions, moral values, human values at play between different people. You may argue that.
Asian parents as well as Jewish parents overwhelmingly are known to focus on the family unity and education of their off spring, for example.
Some other parents/ people don’t care that much.. they may have different heroes than Albert Einstein...

Racism and slavery are not one and the same.
Slavery existed since the ancient times: white slaves with white masters. ( Greece, Roman Empire, etc).
Black slaves with the black masters - on the continent of Africa- ancient period, the Middle Ages, etc

In feudal Europe - the last known slavery was abolished in 1860th- at approximately the same time as the Civil War in America: white masters- white slaves.
It is a known fact that there were black slaver owners in the South! and they fought against the Northerners.
Should European whites demand reparations? You see, how silly it could become?

You call Japanese “racist” for “enslaving” Koreans. They are the same race according to the old textbooks on race determination. You should have called it war crimes.
Germans and European Jews are the same race- white. Again- that was war crimes.

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-25-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,890 posts, read 4,289,590 times
Reputation: 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Your going on a long summary of rascism when it ended with the core answer. Perhaps you misunderstand my context. In relation to the OP theme, it's a cause & effect that continue to be passed down to every generation.

The specific form of rascism in which 1 culture places itself within a socially construct hierarchy over all cultures. This is more than white v black, it's white over all else.
No, I didn't. I simply pointed out that the word "racism" is bigger than just white on black, or "white over all else", and you can't end the definition in the middle of a sentence. The vast majority of people around the world, including the United Nations, agrees with me. But I can see you prefer the definition that suites your needs, and facts will never change your mind. I wish you a pleasant life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Dude
I agree with much of what you said, but you misinterpreted my meaning because I'm not confused.
  • I'm aware that slavery does not automatically equal racism, and that people owning slaves of the same "race" as the owner was common in history. The examples I provided did happen to involve slavery, but only as coincidence.
  • Yes, race is an artificial and false construct. It was an attempt by scientists to classify humans like they were classifying everything else (plants, animals, rocks, etc.) during the industrial revolution. It has long been proven to be invalid science.
  • Ethnic groups, however, are very real. What most people call "racism" is actually prejudice against a different ethnic group. In the USA, Hispanics are officially considered "white", but prejudice against them, even from other "white" people (or black people) is still considered racism.
  • Likewise, Koreans and Japanese are clearly the same race (if such a thing actually existed), but they are different ethnic groups.
  • You mentioned that the Japan-Korea example wasn't racism because it was a war crime. It can be both. It was a war-crime based on racism.
  • Here's a HuffPo article blasting Trumps "racist" tweets... against a religious group that includes members of all "races" around the world!
  • And finally, the United Nations doesn't define "racism", but it does define "racial discrimination". The definition includes bias based on "race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin". The definition most definitely does not limit it to "white over all else".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 07:39 PM
 
Location: NC But Soon, The Desert
1,046 posts, read 441,725 times
Reputation: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I think you are the one triggered easily and I wouldn't go there looking for a problem. Raised in the south. Lived everywhere.
Exactly! When you look for problems, you find em.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2019, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
2,025 posts, read 1,117,618 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, I didn't. I simply pointed out that the word "racism" is bigger than just white on black, or "white over all else", and you can't end the definition in the middle of a sentence. The vast majority of people around the world, including the United Nations, agrees with me. But I can see you prefer the definition that suites your needs, and facts will never change your mind. I wish you a pleasant life.
1. We're being specific about 1 country, United States. Not the rest of the world. Your point about rascism being bigger is correct but unrelated to the subject.
2. You agree with the UN. Vast majority people around the world don't know you ( especially me).
3. Facts often are thrown around haphazardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Yes, race is an artificial and false construct. It was an attempt by scientists to classify humans like they were classifying everything else (plants, animals, rocks, etc.) during the industrial revolution. It has long been proven to be invalid science.
Yet, You and the rest of America still use it daily to reference ethnic cultures. United States census too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore;56265033*
Ethnic groups, however, are very real. What most people call "racism" is actually prejudice against a different ethnic group. In the USA, Hispanics are officially considered "white", but prejudice against them, even from other "white" people (or black people) is still considered racism.
Because within the "ism" is an ideology that continues to push the prejudice. Simple prejudice could go away with understanding & respect for different cultures, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore;56265033*
And finally, the United Nations doesn't define "racism", but it does define "racial discrimination". The definition includes bias based on "race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin". The definition most definitely does not limit it to "white over all else". [/list]
This is America.

Last edited by Sharif662; 09-26-2019 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Yeah
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2019, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,352 posts, read 989,883 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Perhaps, the OP is concerned with something like what is happening in Baltimore- on the Harbor? And everywhere else
https://youtu.be/G9dRstSpaSc

https://youtu.be/W991Fkx0oOY

https://youtu.be/A0Pb5OKAm-U

https://youtu.be/ksuhDS1SqUI

https://youtu.be/XFZR0Zxucvw

Euphemistically, they call those attacks “ random”- but nothing is “random” about that.
A strange thing- the more disturbing videos of a brazen and brutal daylight attack and robbery of a young men - a passerby by a group of 10-12 young people - disappeared from the media. Can’t find it anymore.
You guess the skin color of the attackers and the victim
Yep. When JacksonPanther or Shariff address things like this, I might begin to have a conversation about race. They dance around the subject and shift the goalposts constantly, so we get nowhere. Rinse repeat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top