Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 06:57 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,222 times

Advertisements

Anyone know about this firsthand? Would be interested to hear the stories!

https://www.amazon.com/Mississippi-M.../dp/B07VZTPDZC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
I have no firsthand knowledge, but in the late 80s, I heard tales of "Follow Me To Nellies" Tshirts.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:11 PM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
We watched it.
I held my breath hoping that no one would remember me.......

Old 11-10-2019, 07:24 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We watched it.
I held my breath hoping that no one would remember me.......
Haha!

Old 11-11-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Haha!
I searched through your past posts, but didn't see where you have even been to Natchez.
If you have not been, and you have an interest in American history, the word is, "Go." Natchez was once the premier river town in America. The book "Devil's Backbone" chronicles the story of the trail ("trace") that runs from Natchez to Nashville.
Natchez was once - in 1860 - the second richest city in America, after New York. Many of the old mansions are available for tour, and some of the people hosting the tours can tell you of when the old homes used to stand open and mostly abandoned, allowing the local children to play in and around them.
The old river front, called Natchez Under The Hill, is still there and many of the old buildings are now bars and restaurants.
It's a wonderful place for adults, but there are no zip lines, no amusement park rides, no carnival atmosphere. Natchez, unfortunately, is dying a slow death. The last industries have left. It was bypassed by the freeway system after Gov Huey Long, LA, cut it off from international commerce by building a bridge that was too low for the ocean freighter traffic. Gov Long wanted ships to off-load in Baton Rouge, and he made it happen, too!

Old 11-11-2019, 04:24 PM

560 posts, read 785,956 times
I loved Natchez and would recommend a visit to Natchez for anyone who is interested in history. I think only two other cities-Charleston and Savannah came through the civil war undamaged. It has been said that the mansion from "Gone With the Wind" pales in comparison to the ones in Natchez.

I would not have appreciated Natchez as much if I had not read "Devil's Backbone." Thoroughly engrossing book that brings the story of Natchez to life. Like Listener said, Natchez Under the Hill is fascinating too. Good food and unusual atmosphere.

I drove by Nellie Jackson's house in Natchez. It's sad. It looks as though it has fallen into a state of disrepair.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:43 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Natchez was once - in 1860 - the second richest city in America, after New York.
I have read on several sites that Mississippi was one of the five richest states in the country prior to 1861. Some sites say it was THE richest state.

Granted, the state was over half African American slaves who didn't count in the calculations (I assume), but it's still mind boggling to think that Mississippi was that prosperous in those days.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
If you find your way to Natchez check out the Tavern under the Hill, it has a sorted history.

https://ghost.hauntedhouses.com/miss...z_kings_tavern

It's a ahame that Natchez is dying, but it is surrounded by so much poverty and so isolated.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:46 PM

560 posts, read 785,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
If you find your way to Natchez check out the Tavern under the Hill, it has a sorted history.

https://ghost.hauntedhouses.com/miss...z_kings_tavern

It's a ahame that Natchez is dying, but it is surrounded by so much poverty and so isolated.
First time I visited Natchez I took a GHOST TOUR of Kings Tavern. Went in the company of several other people and it was soooo much fun! That night there was a spectacular rain storm accompanied by much thunder and lightening! Perfect atmosphere for a ghost hunt.

We didn't run across any ghosts, but I'm pretty sure the Sons of Anarchy were seated at a long table having a meal.

The food is supposed to be excellent. Haunted, Kings Tavern Natchez Home

King's Tavern is archived on the National Register of Historic Places. I found the application nominating King's Tavern dated, May 6, 1971, that gives the structure's entire history described in excruciating detail.

The document states; "King's Tavern served as the mail and stage coach station at the end of the Natchez Trace and it was over the Natchez Trace to King's Tavern that the first United States mail was delivered, and from this point the mail was then distributed." https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/nom/prop/222.pdf

Old 11-12-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
First time I visited Natchez I took a GHOST TOUR of Kings Tavern. Went in the company of several other people and it was soooo much fun! That night there was a spectacular rain storm accompanied by much thunder and lightening! Perfect atmosphere for a ghost hunt.

We didn't run across any ghosts, but I'm pretty sure the Sons of Anarchy were seated at a long table having a meal.

The food is supposed to be excellent. Haunted, Kings Tavern Natchez Home

King's Tavern is archived on the National Register of Historic Places. I found the application nominating King's Tavern dated, May 6, 1971, that gives the structure's entire history described in excruciating detail.

The document states; "King's Tavern served as the mail and stage coach station at the end of the Natchez Trace and it was over the Natchez Trace to King's Tavern that the first United States mail was delivered, and from this point the mail was then distributed." https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/nom/prop/222.pdf
Food is excellent. One of those "Sons of Anarchy" is the head chef and a close relative of the owner. My wife asked him for something and he didn't hear her. I told him he should probably listen up since she carries a knife.
He smiles and says, "Well, how long will it take her to get it?"
I looked at him blankly.
He says, "Cause I've already got mine", and opens his hand and there it was! The crowd erupts into laughter and applause.

Crocodile Dundee ain't got nuthin' on that guy.

Did they tell you about the body they found in the chimney? And the baby that was killed?.....
If there are ghosts anywhere in America, they are in Kings Tavern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi