U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 04:38 AM

141 posts, read 79,963 times

Advertisements

Oxford and Starkville as college towns wouldn't fit the small, gossipy, Baptist town scenario as you've described. For post college settling down, as a single person that might be another matter, in terms of employment and socializing. For that a larger city would make more sense.

Mississippi has some nice smaller cities other than Oxford and Starkville that are big enough not to have the small-town scenario you described. Some of those, which are almost universally well-liked, are Tupelo, Southaven/Olive Branch, Hattiesburg, Ocean Springs/Biloxi, Ridgeland, and Flowood. These communities feel modern and comfortable without feeling too big or crowded and overall have a high quality of life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 08:33 PM

154 posts, read 44,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Oxford and Starkville as college towns wouldn't fit the small, gossipy, Baptist town scenario as you've described. For post college settling down, as a single person that might be another matter, in terms of employment and socializing. For that a larger city would make more sense.

Mississippi has some nice smaller cities other than Oxford and Starkville that are big enough not to have the small-town scenario you described. Some of those, which are almost universally well-liked, are Tupelo, Southaven/Olive Branch, Hattiesburg, Ocean Springs/Biloxi, Ridgeland, and Flowood. These communities feel modern and comfortable without feeling too big or crowded and overall have a high quality of life.
Thanks again for the valuable info. I think I am leaning to Miss State. I know MS gets such a bad rap. But, I'm alone, older, lived in a few very 'bad' areas so know how to handle myself, not freaked out about crime stats or whatever, spent 1/2 my life in deep south 1/2 in the north...So I think some of the 'bad' people talk about MS, I'll be ok with. I'm going to pursue both schools, but still looking at some other schools.
Not 100% sure yet, but am ok with going to Ole Miss or Miss State (first choice).

Would prefer Oxford over Starkville, but Miss State U over Ole Miss.

Some areas if I end up staying after school I think look really nice and I might see myself in are Oxford, Vicksburg, Columbus, Gulfport/Ocean Springs/Long Beach, Clarksdale, Jackson?(don't know anything at all about Jackson). Know little about some of them, been through a few.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:38 PM

975 posts, read 1,016,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAA5000 View Post
Thanks again for the valuable info. I think I am leaning to Miss State. I know MS gets such a bad rap. But, I'm alone, older, lived in a few very 'bad' areas so know how to handle myself, not freaked out about crime stats or whatever, spent 1/2 my life in deep south 1/2 in the north...So I think some of the 'bad' people talk about MS, I'll be ok with. I'm going to pursue both schools, but still looking at some other schools.
Not 100% sure yet, but am ok with going to Ole Miss or Miss State (first choice).

Would prefer Oxford over Starkville, but Miss State U over Ole Miss.

Some areas if I end up staying after school I think look really nice and I might see myself in are Oxford, Vicksburg, Columbus, Gulfport/Ocean Springs/Long Beach, Clarksdale, Jackson?(don't know anything at all about Jackson). Know little about some of them, been through a few.
There's not much going on in Clarksdale. Jackson is a dump but has nice suburbs.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 AM

9,611 posts, read 5,938,341 times
There also University of South Alabama, but me it would be old miss

Old 11-20-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
There's not much going on in Clarksdale. Jackson is a dump but has nice suburbs.
Yeah don't think I've ever heard anyone say something good about Jackson.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:23 PM

The Ole Miss campus looks beautiful...Oxford looks like a really great college town and area to live. Not really finding pics or much overview of MSU or Starkville area.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:49 PM

141 posts, read 79,963 times
There is no doubt that Oxford is beautiful and hard to beat. Picturesque town square, historic homes, elegant campus, loads of culture, and wooded rolling hills in all directions.

I will say though that Starkville and Mississippi State do have some quite nice features. Mississippi State has the nation's premier college baseball stadium (Dudy Noble) known as the Carnegie Hall of college baseball. It's brand-new and said to be equivalent to a professional AAA stadium, but with a college atmosphere including condos with balconies overlooking the field and the famous "Left Field Lounge" student area. They have months of home games and an amazing outdoor, festival-like atmosphere, this is a major asset to the community.

Mississippi State's campus has lots of sloping, grassy open spaces (Drill Field, The Junction, Chadwick Lake) which gives it a warm, homey feeling. Adjacent to the campus is the Cotton District, which was developed by one man a couple of decades ago and is considered the nation's original "new-urbanism" community, a mixed-use model which is now spreading across the country. The Cotton District started small, drawing upon European and New Orleans architectural traditions) and has been slowly evolving into a unique urban space that is gradually connecting the downtown Main Street and the university, and serves as a place for big outdoor concerts and street festivals. And Starkville has a multitude of pretty residential subdivisions and neighborhoods along the south side of town, giving it a comfortable, contemporary, family-oriented appeal.

Whereas Oxford is a lovely set piece where you wouldn't want to change anything, Starkville is more of an open canvas that in the past 10 years has begun building and creating its own identity with new parks, condo developments, & sports facilities, etc, which is cool to see in its own right.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:22 AM

11,465 posts, read 8,224,631 times
Quote:
There is no doubt that Oxford is beautiful and hard to beat. Picturesque town square, historic homes, elegant campus, loads of culture, and wooded rolling hills in all directions.

I will say though that Starkville and Mississippi State do have some quite nice features. Mississippi State has the nation's premier college baseball stadium (Dudy Noble) known as the Carnegie Hall of college baseball. It's brand-new and said to be equivalent to a professional AAA stadium, but with a college atmosphere including condos with balconies overlooking the field and the famous "Left Field Lounge" student area. They have months of home games and an amazing outdoor, festival-like atmosphere, this is a major asset to the community.

Mississippi State's campus has lots of sloping, grassy open spaces (Drill Field, The Junction, Chadwick Lake) which gives it a warm, homey feeling. Adjacent to the campus is the Cotton District, which was developed by one man a couple of decades ago and is considered the nation's original "new-urbanism" community, a mixed-use model which is now spreading across the country. The Cotton District started small, drawing upon European and New Orleans architectural traditions) and has been slowly evolving into a unique urban space that is gradually connecting the downtown Main Street and the university, and serves as a place for big outdoor concerts and street festivals. And Starkville has a multitude of pretty residential subdivisions and neighborhoods along the south side of town, giving it a comfortable, contemporary, family-oriented appeal.

Whereas Oxford is a lovely set piece where you wouldn't want to change anything, Starkville is more of an open canvas that in the past 10 years has begun building and creating its own identity with new parks, condo developments, & sports facilities, etc, which is cool to see in its own right.
^ Well stated.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:55 AM

1,347 posts, read 984,932 times
Quote:
Man, this is the best description I've heard of the two.

A lot of Starkville's influx was due to Dak Prescott for sure, but very overlooked was the economy that grew around the Golden Triangle LINK. A lot of good jobs have been brought to the 3-county area over the last 20 years plus the Air Force Base.

Ole Miss is a relic of the past, and while they are moving past the stereotypes, it's still a serene college town without much economy outside of the school. Most of their graduates move on while a number of people at MSU can stick around.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Man, this is the best description I've heard of the two.

A lot of Starkville's influx was due to Dak Prescott for sure, but very overlooked was the economy that grew around the Golden Triangle LINK. A lot of good jobs have been brought to the 3-county area over the last 20 years plus the Air Force Base.

Ole Miss is a relic of the past, and while they are moving past the stereotypes, it's still a serene college town without much economy outside of the school. Most of their graduates move on while a number of people at MSU can stick around.
Excellent take, that is helpful, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi