U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2019, 08:42 PM

985 posts, read 1,029,694 times

Advertisements

Nothing much unexpected there, other than what is up with Yazoo (the Zoo) gaining population?

https://i.redd.it/1x6ssrir5m641.png

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 09:45 AM

18,683 posts, read 10,999,684 times
The thing about Mississippi that makes it so difficult for newcomers is the number and percentage of people who have never lived anywhere else.
In my immediate extended family of roughly 10 families (counting marriages, divorces and so forth) I am the only one who has ever lived anywhere else. There are people who left and never came back, but there are no Mississippi newcomers in the family besides me. I've been here 20 years.

It makes it difficult, and I have seen many would-be residents just give up and move away from what, to them, feels like a closed society.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:19 PM

497 posts, read 782,122 times
yet https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...ippi/PST045218 shows Washington county at -11.9% in July 2018. Sunflower County is slightly more at -12.4%. we will find out in a little over a year, when the actual census numbers start coming out.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:32 AM

776 posts, read 794,976 times
The map says quite a lot about rural American in general. Seems like the days of living away from the cities are coming to an end. I also noticed the only county declining in the Jackson Metro is Hinds County.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:16 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,002,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The thing about Mississippi that makes it so difficult for newcomers is the number and percentage of people who have never lived anywhere else.
In my immediate extended family of roughly 10 families (counting marriages, divorces and so forth) I am the only one who has ever lived anywhere else. There are people who left and never came back, but there are no Mississippi newcomers in the family besides me. I've been here 20 years.

It makes it difficult, and I have seen many would-be residents just give up and move away from what, to them, feels like a closed society.
This is certainly the case in most places except Desoto and Hancock/Harrison/Jackson Counties, and downtown Jackson.

the IHL needs to get together, quit fighting over who's football teams are best and identify the best industries and prospects in those 2 areas plus Jackson metro, partner with the companies, and invest in the education programs to suit those things, and get some freaking people to move in here to bring new ideas. I used to think the brain drain was the problem, not anymore, we need new ideas from outsiders.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:15 PM

11,604 posts, read 8,310,425 times
One weird thing about that map is that they list gray as the color of "same", yet there isn't a single splotch of gray on the entire map.

I'd be curious what the map would look like if the gray area (same) was say between 2% and -2% change.

How much of the Mississippi map would then be colored gray as opposed to light orange or light blue?

Old 12-31-2019, 12:38 AM

776 posts, read 794,976 times
You can go to the census website and see that those counties shaded orange in fact have population decreases.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:04 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,002,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
You can go to the census website and see that those counties shaded orange in fact have population decreases.
After doing a certain project in my line of work, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the Census Bureau does not accurately report numbers in rural areas. Most of the time they just use a growth rate of some type. They only measure urban areas.

I'm not saying this map is wrong, I'm just saying that rural areas aren't reported correctly. And many times it doesn't matter because urban numbers tell the bigger tale anyway, but there are fluctuations in small towns and nobody knows about unless they look at local population counts.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:48 AM

11,604 posts, read 8,310,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Yes, but there was no point in having a "gray" color code for no change on this map when it literally meant "no change".

I looked up several counties that were colored orange on the Mississippi map and they had percentage losses of less than 1%. For instance Tate County went down by 0.4%. I just don't think a county that loses 0.4% should be lumped in with one that lost 9.5%. Not that being stagnant is a good thing but it would show a truer picture of what is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi