U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 04:52 AM

14,821 posts, read 9,292,312 times

Advertisements

I watch the show to see what Erin does with the houses, much like I watched to see what Joanna did with hers. It doesn't matter so much about the locations, it's the houses. I like it most when they do a truly historic home (some are just shacks). I especially like that Erin isn't afraid to use color, for example pale yellow cabinets. Joanna always uses gray, which I got tried of. Love Erin's wooden floor guy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 01:34 PM

4,617 posts, read 3,035,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
You ain't kidding!
I spent 30 days there after Katrina. Nice to see this show and the nice rehab they did.

I remember buying food at the Piggly Wiggly, staying at the EconoLodge...

Quite a memory.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:16 AM
Status: "No, I don’t want an app for that." (set 27 days ago)

45,411 posts, read 56,718,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I watch the show to see what Erin does with the houses, much like I watched to see what Joanna did with hers. It doesn't matter so much about the locations, it's the houses. I like it most when they do a truly historic home (some are just shacks). I especially like that Erin isn't afraid to use color, for example pale yellow cabinets. Joanna always uses gray, which I got tried of. Love Erin's wooden floor guy.
I also like how their basic mission is to attract businesses, restore neighborhoods, and attract young people. As Erin said, high tide raises all boats.

The Indiana show, Good Bones, is doing the same thing. Most of the other home improvement shows are almost offensively self serving.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:03 PM

14,783 posts, read 10,739,173 times
I always get a chuckle because that husband can't keep his paws off of Erin. Not that I blame him.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:59 AM

4,265 posts, read 6,362,862 times
A favorite son of Laurel, died earlier this year. He played the naive, but smart-mouthed farmhand on the old TV sitcom "Green Acres."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Lester

Old 12-04-2020, 05:47 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,210,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have become so addicted an HGTV show - in fact, I am watching it now. "Home Town". What an idyllic little southern town! I returned from church today and began binge watching. My husband loves it too, although he'll be departing for the family room when the Super Bowl starts.

Erin has my taste - or very close to it. She restore and doesn't demolish. Ben is such a talented woodworker.
I also love how they make do, repurpose, and work with smaller houses that are not mansions - cozy cottages.

I am so shocked by the prices! Incredibly low. Is anything WRONG with this little village? It just seems picture perfect.

Can anyone tell me about Laurel? Does anyone, perchance - know them?

I like Chip and Joanna, but I don't find Waco to be appealing and their taste can be repetitive - ship lap, for example. They are not as unique in their use of color or design as are Erin and Ben.

Is anyone else in love with "Home Town", and Erin and Ben?

Surely, I can not be the only one.

Love it when Ben says "I like a little dinge" 'cause I do too.
I've just gotten into this show lately over the past couple of months when I can catch it. I'm loving it! Thanks for stating their names as I couldn't remember. Erin has my taste, too. It's hard not to compare this couple to Chip & Joanna. I love them too but yes, Erin's taste is much closer to my own. Same for Hilary Farr of Fixer Upper. The work that she does is AMAZING!

I'm beginning to recognize that each of the celeb interior decorator-designers have their own signature and most don't really go far outside of that. Maybe after awhile, I'll get bored with Erin's taste but for now, I'm loving everything that she does.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:53 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,210,927 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
We love this show, also, and we're amazed at the price of houses and what Ben and Erin do with such small budgets. My husband said...I wonder what the crime rate is for Laurel. I Googled it and it's really high...unfortunately. It said 1 in 19 will be a victim of a crime. There's few jobs and what there is doesn't pay much. Too bad. This is filmed with the best backgrounds possible. I wondered if it would become another Waco that was ruined by Chip and Joanna.
This is my first hearing of this. How did Chip and Joanna ruin Waco?

Old 12-05-2020, 10:51 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Has anyone ever driven thru Laurel on the interstate? Some of the most depressing, impoverished scenery I've ever seen. Literally, third world level poverty on display for all to see.

Laurel is a hole.
Are you trolling??? Laurel is literally one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever driven through with the rolling hills, so atypical of Mississippi.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:31 PM

1,236 posts, read 512,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
A favorite son of Laurel, died earlier this year. He played the naive, but smart-mouthed farmhand on the old TV sitcom "Green Acres."

Even with all the 'who died this year' articles I hadn't seen this. A Green Acres actor dying should have been front page news.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:01 AM

22,585 posts, read 29,171,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

Awwe...I remember him. I didn't know he had been an evangelist. RIP.

Green Acres and Petticoat Junction were some of my first favorite TV shows. I am also surprised that this is the first I heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi