U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2020, 08:49 PM
 
Location: 78745
3,694 posts, read 2,828,973 times
Reputation: 6454

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post

If I were you, I would live in Cleveland or Greenwood and talk to folks about farming and laborers and culture. I am not sure where you are from internationally, but there are lots of South Africans that work as seasonal laborers the past several years. From there you can make some inroads and explore some of the small communities like Rosedale, Hollandale, Itta Bena, Morgan City, Money, Drew, Inverness, etc.
Why are there so many South Africans being brought in to work as laborers?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2020, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Augusta, Georgia
96 posts, read 107,603 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Grant's most recent book, The Deepest South of All: True Stories from Natchez, Mississippi will be released Sept. 1st 2020.
I knew Grant was working on/writing a book having to do with Natchez ( I LOVE that city!) I didn't know the title or release date. Thank-you Seadory! Looking forward with anticipation for his latest.

PS I'll most definitely look into "The Barber of Natchez." Thanks for the recommendation!

Paul
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 09:11 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
18,599 posts, read 10,906,644 times
Reputation: 26071
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCitySoul View Post
I knew Grant was working on/writing a book having to do with Natchez ( I LOVE that city!) I didn't know the title or release date. Thank-you Seadory! Looking forward with anticipation for his latest.

PS I'll most definitely look into "The Barber of Natchez." Thanks for the recommendation!

Paul
Natchez is one of our favorite destinations. I hope we get a chance to go again this year.
I would suggest Natchez as a setting for our aspiring writer, but who can follow Greg Iles?


Everyone should read the story of Natchez's "barber who made good". Those who have not already visited should visit his home in Natchez.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Southern California
476 posts, read 583,811 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Natchez is one of our favorite destinations. I hope we get a chance to go again this year.
I would suggest Natchez as a setting for our aspiring writer, but who can follow Greg Iles?


Everyone should read the story of Natchez's "barber who made good". Those who have not already visited should visit his home in Natchez.
I can't find anything with the title "barber who made good." Could that be The Barber of Natchez', William Johnson? Is is home on State St? If so, I'll bet that's the home of William Johnson, The Barber of Natchez. I've probably walked by the place a half a dozen times and didn't know. Until recently I didn't know there was a Barber of Natchez.

How lucky we all are that Johnson's family took such care of those diaries. Offers a peek into what this gentleman thought about - almost everything.

I love Natchez too. Iles was probably right when he said that there is no other place in the United States like Natchez.
https://www.nps.gov/natc/learn/histo...iamjohnson.htm

Last edited by Seadory; 02-19-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 09:17 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
18,599 posts, read 10,906,644 times
Reputation: 26071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
I can't find anything with the title "barber who made good." Could that be The Barber of Natchez', William Johnson? Is is home on State St? If so, I'll bet that's the home of William Johnson, The Barber of Natchez. I've probably walked by the place a half a dozen times and didn't know. Until recently I didn't know there was a Barber of Natchez.

How lucky we all are that Johnson's family took such care of those diaries. Offers a peek into what this gentleman thought about - almost everything.

I love Natchez too. Iles was probably right when he said that there is no other place in the United States like Natchez.
https://www.nps.gov/natc/learn/histo...iamjohnson.htm
Yeah, I just coined the phrase "The Barber who made good". And his home is the one on State St. Visits are hosted by the Park Service as opposed to volunteers, and they are much more knowledgeable than some of the volunteers.
We learned a lot about actual conditions of slavery while touring that home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2020, 03:23 PM
 
594 posts, read 939,744 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
viverlibre's answers are very good.

I suggest reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, both by Mark Twain, for a little background on the Mississippi River. Both are considered literary classics. The books are very old (slavery is still a thing, and the language is archaic), but the descriptions of the river itself are still accurate. Except replace paddlewheelers with tugboats and barges.

The only live oaks you'll find were intentionally planted. Their native range is much farther south along the Gulf coast.

There are Black bears; the original Teddy Roosevelt "Teddy Bear" story is from Mississippi. But currently they are somewhat rare and classified as endangered in the state. Maybe 150 or so in the entire state? They do mostly live in the Delta region, though.

The Mississippi River ranges in width from 0.5 mile to 1.5 mile. As mentioned, very dangerous for swimming unless in a protected area. About the only boat traffic is tugboats with barges and the occasional local fishing boat.

Whether or not you call the river polluted is debatable. It's filled with runoff from polluted rivers (and septic systems) from half the country, but there's a LOT of water to dilute it. It is most definitely filled with silt and mud, as is every other river in the Delta.

Racial tensions: Don't believe the stereotypes. There are more daily inter-racial interactions in Mississippi than in any other state, mainly because there are more minorities here than anywhere else, and the overwhelming majority are just as friendly as can be. One issue, though, is that the Delta is mostly "minority-majority" (i.e., white people are the minority). This changes interactions around from the rest of the country.

We're assuming that by "sweet southern ice" you meant "tea". As viverlibre said, if you order "tea" it will be sweet and iced. You have to specify unsweet and/or hot.


One more thing that hasn't been touched on... the Mississippi "Delta" region is flat. Pancake flat. Makes Kansas seem like a mountain range flat (I've lived in both areas). The only "hills" in the delta region are river levees and highway overpasses.
Pretty good breakdown. Have you been to the store in Onward, they have a picture of Teddy Roosevelt in there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2020, 01:53 AM
 
5 posts, read 2,451 times
Reputation: 19
Dear Listener2307, sammyreynolds1977, gvillesux, viverlibre, An Einnseanar, InnerCitySoul, AppalachianAngler, Seadory, Ivory Lee Spurlock, Delta SSiPP, big thanks to you all (or should I say y'all ) for contributing to this subject, answering and helping me, your advices mean very much to me and you are a great source of valuable informations, I wrote them all down.


I've read Mark Twain a lot while I was a kid and now I'm thinking of rereading Huck Finn.



I'm ashamed to say, but I still have some questions:


1. Is it hard to be a gay person in this area?


2. I've got this feeling that blacks and whites in most cases only tolerate each others, but do not mix or hang around a lot together, is it true?


3. What kind of football do you play? Is it the way folks play it in Europe? (Messi, Ronaldo...)


4. Are there Confederate flags everywhere?


5. Is Civil War still a big deal?



6. What kind od vegetables is appropriate to plant in July in Mississippi Delta?


That's it for now, sorry for bugging you! I, of course, don't expect all answers from one person, just if anybody knows answer or two, I would be very grateful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2020, 02:35 AM
 
5 posts, read 2,451 times
Reputation: 19
Thanks for book recommendation, Dispatches from Pluto are brilliant, book has a soul, Grant did a great job!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2020, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,108 posts, read 2,268,350 times
Reputation: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie1207 View Post
Dear Listener2307, sammyreynolds1977, gvillesux, viverlibre, An Einnseanar, InnerCitySoul, AppalachianAngler, Seadory, Ivory Lee Spurlock, Delta SSiPP, big thanks to you all (or should I say y'all ) for contributing to this subject, answering and helping me, your advices mean very much to me and you are a great source of valuable informations, I wrote them all down.


I've read Mark Twain a lot while I was a kid and now I'm thinking of rereading Huck Finn.



I'm ashamed to say, but I still have some questions:


1. Is it hard to be a gay person in this area?


2. I've got this feeling that blacks and whites in most cases only tolerate each others, but do not mix or hang around a lot together, is it true?


3. What kind of football do you play? Is it the way folks play it in Europe? (Messi, Ronaldo...)


4. Are there Confederate flags everywhere?


5. Is Civil War still a big deal?



6. What kind od vegetables is appropriate to plant in July in Mississippi Delta?


That's it for now, sorry for bugging you! I, of course, don't expect all answers from one person, just if anybody knows answer or two, I would be very grateful!
I am not one of those people but will provide input anyway. These are only my perspective.

1. Hard to be gay? Not gay so I can't answer. I do not care if someone is gay or not, but can't speak for others.

2. In my experience, and maybe because I am not racist, I have many black friends as well as friends of other colors and nationalities. I am married to a woman from Belize who is a mix of East Indian, West Indian, and Spanish.

3. Good old NFL, SEC, and High School American Football.

4. I see them sometimes, but everywhere, no. You will see them sometimes depending on where you go.

5. Civil War is not a big deal to me and does not affect my life. I rarely hear anyone talk about it. The only time I talk about is ironically is to my Arizona friend DesertKid as he has an interest in Civil War history.

6. I don't know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2020, 06:23 PM
 
769 posts, read 788,997 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie1207 View Post
Dear Listener2307, sammyreynolds1977, gvillesux, viverlibre, An Einnseanar, InnerCitySoul, AppalachianAngler, Seadory, Ivory Lee Spurlock, Delta SSiPP, big thanks to you all (or should I say y'all ) for contributing to this subject, answering and helping me, your advices mean very much to me and you are a great source of valuable informations, I wrote them all down.


I've read Mark Twain a lot while I was a kid and now I'm thinking of rereading Huck Finn.



I'm ashamed to say, but I still have some questions:


1. Is it hard to be a gay person in this area?


2. I've got this feeling that blacks and whites in most cases only tolerate each others, but do not mix or hang around a lot together, is it true?


3. What kind of football do you play? Is it the way folks play it in Europe? (Messi, Ronaldo...)


4. Are there Confederate flags everywhere?


5. Is Civil War still a big deal?



6. What kind od vegetables is appropriate to plant in July in Mississippi Delta?


That's it for now, sorry for bugging you! I, of course, don't expect all answers from one person, just if anybody knows answer or two, I would be very grateful!
1. I'm not gay so I can't tell you about how hard it is. But people here mostly want care.

2. In some places they tolerate each other and in some places they are more intertwined.

3. Football here is American football. Football in Europe is called soccer. It's actually become somewhat popular and more kids play it now than they used to.

4. Confederate flags aren't flown everywhere. To be honest I can't tell you the last time I saw a person flying a confederate flag. I do have to say the Mississippi State flag has the confederate emblem on it.

5. The only people that bring up the civil war are history buffs. Most people here don't even think about it.

6. Beans, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top