U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 07:12 PM

2,890 posts, read 4,287,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie1207 View Post
I'm ashamed to say, but I still have some questions:
1. Is it hard to be a gay person in this area?
2. I've got this feeling that blacks and whites in most cases only tolerate each others, but do not mix or hang around a lot together, is it true?
3. What kind of football do you play? Is it the way folks play it in Europe? (Messi, Ronaldo...)
4. Are there Confederate flags everywhere?
5. Is Civil War still a big deal?
6. What kind od vegetables is appropriate to plant in July in Mississippi Delta?
1. Not gay myself, and also not homophobic. I've answered this three ways and changed it. I just don't know because I don't currently live there.

2. Depends. As I stated, people interact with people of other races every day. For the most part, except for when major racial issues are making the news, people act around other races just like they act around their own. They don't have much of a choice. They work together, eat together, and children play together. In other parts of Mississippi, however, it's a different story. Just like there are places in inner city neighborhoods where a white person wouldn't want to be alone after dark, there are parts of rural Mississippi where a black person wouldn't want to be alone after dark. These places are not in the Delta.

3. American Football, and it's huge. There are no pro or major college teams anywhere remotely close, so high school football games are really big deals.

4. Very rare in the Delta. Again, "minority majority". You'll find lots of them in the areas mentioned in (2). I have "facebook friends" who are big into the Sons of the Confederacy organization. They once a month to wave huge confederate battle flags off of highway overpasses, but I doubt they would even consider going to the Delta to do that.

5. Not in the Delta. See (2) and (4). The war mostly bypassed the Delta; no reason for armies to worry about muddy fields of cotton. The historical markers in the Delta are all about the Blues.

6. If you mean actually starting the growing process, most planting is done way earlier than July. Maybe a second planting of corn or hay (first planting in March, harvest, plant again). If you're asking what would be growing, that's everything. Are you talking about commercial crops (large fields) or private gardens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 03:07 PM

594 posts, read 940,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
There is no place on earth like the Mississippi Delta. It has been dubbed the "most southern place on earth."

Greenville is one of the larger towns in the region and located on the Mississippi River. It will have everything you speak of, but it would not be my first choice.

Indianola, just east of Greenville about 20-30 minutes, and Greenwood, about an hour east of Greenville, will have the same culture. Greenwood is probably considered the "nicest" of those 3 Delta towns with significant improvements to its downtown over the past 10-20 years. Greenwood also has the Yazoo River which flows through town.

Cleveland, located about 30ish minutes north of Indianola, will also have all of the culture you are seeking but also has a college town vibe with Delta State being located there.

If I were you, I would live in Cleveland or Greenwood and talk to folks about farming and laborers and culture. I am not sure where you are from internationally, but there are lots of South Africans that work as seasonal laborers the past several years. From there you can make some inroads and explore some of the small communities like Rosedale, Hollandale, Itta Bena, Morgan City, Money, Drew, Inverness, etc.
I’m from Greenville, you right the Delta is a very unique place.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:18 AM

460 posts, read 1,214,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Why are there so many South Africans being brought in to work as laborers?
I think it has to do with the poor economy of South Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi