U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 10:28 AM

2,011 posts, read 1,108,658 times

Advertisements

What if these cities grew to be the largest in the state in different timelines? What would be the population size proper & metro, demographics, economy, surburbs, & amenities? Let's have fun with imagination.

Natchez
Vicksburg
Meridian
Biloxi
Hattiesburg
Greenville
Oxford

Last edited by Sharif662; 03-17-2020 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Additional thoughts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 12:51 PM

1,339 posts, read 977,751 times
The biggest 2 what-ifs in MS development history, to me, have always been these:

1) What if Ole Miss and MSU had not split? One single University located in Oxford would have been an academic and athletic power, drawing from the whole state and Memphis. However, the civil rights fallout would have hurt it badly and I doubt there was any real coming back from that for 'Ole Miss', but maybe. USM or some variant would have eventually formed to service the southern part of MS but who knows, it could have stayed smaller like Delta State or the HBCUs. Who knows, maybe they never name themselves Rebels and maybe they never embrace the Old South, but that's beyond the development we are talking about here.

2) What if MSU had located in Meridian like originally planned, with Ag campuses in the Golden Triangle? That would have been best case scenario in my mind. USM likely never exists and Hattiesburg is nothing but a small timber town with an Army base. Meridian would have thrived, and MSU likely takes on bigger roles in petroleum and coastal engineering curriculums. No telling the potential here. Tupelo probably grows too instead of splitting growth with the Golden Triangle, at least in modern times, post interstate development.

Seems to me that Greenville, Natchez and Vicksburg had their times in the sun, and it just didn't work. Biloxi and the rest of the Coast are limited due to the natural risks.

Those 2 above are the only real cities influenced directly by 'choices'. The one thing MS has always done well is fight among itself. So, now that the toothpaste is out of the tube, all we can really do is embrace that in-fighting I guess. It doesn't seem to be stopping.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:50 PM

973 posts, read 1,013,556 times
Governor Bilbo wanted to combine State and Ole Miss in Jackson, that would have been a great move. Jackson would be a very different city today and we would have a university that rivals UGA, Alabama, UF, LSU, etc.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:49 PM

973 posts, read 1,013,556 times
Don't get me wrong, both have overcome huge disadvantages coming from the poorest state and being only 90 miles apart. They are good universities, but we could have had one great university with 40k students plus students.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Governor Bilbo wanted to combine State and Ole Miss in Jackson, that would have been a great move. Jackson would be a very different city today and we would have a university that rivals UGA, Alabama, UF, LSU, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Don't get me wrong, both have overcome huge disadvantages coming from the poorest state and being only 90 miles apart. They are good universities, but we could have had one great university with 40k students plus students.
I have friends who say it should have been in Jackson too, but I'm of the opinion that it really doesn't matter, so why not let another town develop. Oxford or Meridian would have done very well. No matter what that university would be a powerhouse. I like the idea of being up near Memphis and closer to Nashville but that's with the benefit of hindsight, plus the north MS I-22 corridor is a very desirable place to live.

Would a university influence the demographics enough to cause the city to have better leadership? That's a good question and hard to know the answer to. I tend to think the Jackson METRO is still doing well as far as overall economy, it's still the center of state business and government wise.

Universities are a big part of state growth which is why I concentrated on them. I don't really know of anything else that would have moved the needle on development.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:09 AM

2,011 posts, read 1,108,658 times
None of this have to do with the theme of the thread LoL.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
OK.

Oxford would probably have about 100K people with option 1. Meridian might be up around 250K with option 2.

Jackson Metro might be near a million with viverlibre's scenario. Alot would depend on where inside the metro the university was located.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:45 AM

18,599 posts, read 10,903,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Before The War - the "big one", I mean - Natchez was the second wealthiest city in America, after New York.
Suppose, for a moment, that the Civil War had been settled peacefully and slavery was peacefully abolished. It would be possible that Natchez would still be a great city, albeit one who would probably still be in decline because river traffic is now a fraction of what it used to be.
For that matter, a peaceful resolution would have left Mississippi intact. There would have been no Great Migration.
Natchez would still be the capital so the freeway would have been routed through Natchez instead of Jackson.
Natchez, with its muscle, would have fended off Louisiana Gov Huey Long when Long built a bridge which effectively cut off Natchez from ocean freighters, forcing them to off load in Baton Rouge. The result would be large import/export grain and goods facilities and Natchez would be a very, very different city.
Natchez Under The Hill would be long gone, though, with new facilities in place.
The famous Natchez Cemetery? ..... Still there; still fascinating.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:15 PM

2,173 posts, read 3,515,853 times
Having the flagship University seems to have no correlation to the city being desirable. For every Austin TX, there's a Baton Rouge, LA (a polluted cesspool). Is there anything great about Tuscaloosa?

Old 03-23-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Having the flagship University seems to have no correlation to the city being desirable. For every Austin TX, there's a Baton Rouge, LA (a polluted cesspool). Is there anything great about Tuscaloosa?
No but they are both a lot better than they'd be if they didn't have their respective universities.

How can you argue with this? Why would you even waste time trying to argue it?

We're not talking about making them some arbritrary "desirable". We're talking about making them BETTER than they currently are. Universities add 'life' to a city, if nothing else, due to a base of young people being there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi