Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:22 PM

27 posts, read 62,096 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Just out of curiosity, and because there is a chance my husband might be getting some job offers in MS in the next year, I was wondering what some of the more "stereotypical" areas in MS are?

By stereotypical, I mean places that would remind an outsider of the deep south - conservative, church oriented, humid summers, victorian/colonial homes.

I am originally from WA state - my husband from AZ. We currently live in Tempe AZ and both hate it. It's too big.

I have visited Georgia before and thats all I've really seen of anything of the south. I have always been VERY interested in the the culture of the South and honestly have my eye on the MA in Southern Studies offered thru Ole Miss (but we'll have to see about that).

If we did end up moving to MS, that is definitely where we would settle down. We are in our 20s (me 22, him 26) and no kids, both will be college educated when get down there.

A couple of other silly questions: I don't mind the southern accent - but am just wondering if people tend to pick it up if they come from other states? And also, is it possible to become entrenched in the south as an transplant and truly end up fitting in? My husband works FT - I am a SAHW and finishing my BSN right now. I mean, would I, (and how would I?) be able to be accepted and fit in?

Any info much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times
If I'm reading your question correctly, it sounds like you are asking about the ideallic Mississippi, that is, towns with lovely homes, huge trees, lots of green, active churches, etc.

Of course, at some level that describes almost all of Mississippi. I think though that the question becomes available employment. Given that caveat, here are a few places that fit your description:

Brookhaven - Gorgeous homes, huge lawns and trees everywhere, charming main streeet, properous modern shopping areas by the interstate. It's actually somewhat commutable to Jackson, being just 45 minutes or south.

Corinth - Similar to Brookhaven. One benefit is it's 20 minutes from the huge and scenic Pickwick Lake, in case you're into boating or sailing etc.

Natchez - Fits your full description, picture perfect overlooking the Mississippi River and has America's largest collection of antebellum homes, except this is not a strong area for employment unless you have some kind of specialty.

Jackson- Jackson's Belhaven neighborhood fits your description and Jackson being the state's largest city is fairly strong on employment.

Brandon - On the eastern edge of the Jackson suburban area, this a growing area with a classic small town feel.

Oxford - Picture perfect, seems to have it all.

Hernando - Charming Hernando benefits from being on the southern edge of the Memphis metropolitan area.

Ocean Springs - Gorgeous, artsy, right on the beach

Pass Christian - On the other end of the Coast, it's just too beautiful, with the beach lined with historic mansions.

Laurel - One of Mississippi's most beautiful historic districts, a result of Laurel's history of timber and oil wealth. Proxmity to Hattiesburg makes this a fairly strong area employment wise.

Tupelo -Doesn't have a large historic district, but prosperous Tupelo (new Toyota plant just now ramping up) has some very pretty and quite affluent and picturesque neighborhoods

Columbus - Second most antebellum homes in MS after Natchez, growing economy with proximity to Starkville and MS State Univ

Old 07-18-2010, 03:03 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
I second brickpatio. If you thinking of going to Ole Miss, Oxford will likely be your best pick. I don't think you'll have to worry about accents or fitting in. There is more than one Mississippi - the Hollywood version (which is real for a few), and the farmer version. Most of MS is rural with hardworking, non-rich people. These are my peeps. The debutante, Old South thing - not for me.

I also suggest you read the "Would MS be a good place for me?" thread. Offers a different view, but you might find the info interesting.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:08 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,863 times
Wow there's WAY more diversity down here than "hollywood" and "farmers." I used to LIVE in Hollywood and there's no way I'm Hollywood, nor are most anyone I know. I have friends who are intellectuals, friends who are rednecks, and lots of room in between. A friend of mine who is a professor at MS state is a NATIVE Mississippian who is married to a Chinese immigrant, has two beautiful little girls, has motorcuycled all over the country and is a practicing atheist - where does he fit on that scale of duality you describe?

I was born up north but grew up here as much as there, left almost thirty years ago now and never looked back. I still don't like the place of my birth and will stand toe to toe with anyone who dares call me a yankee...

Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
No, no, you misunderstood! I meant what Hollywood portrays!! Yikes! Of course, MS is NOTHING like Hollywood. Hollywood portrays a lot of MS stereotypes, but I think the one the OP is talking about is the debutante, Old South stereotype. That's not the majority of the state. Wow! I can't get over what you think I meant.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:19 AM

190 posts, read 692,514 times
It would probably be helpful to know something about what type of jobs your husband would be pursuing. Since you don't have children to consider at this point, sounds like some areas of the MS Delta might be of interest to you, but they wouldn't necessarily offer the best job opportunites.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
You should look at the Fondren and Belhaven areas of Jackson - lots of things to do around, great shopping, restaurants, cultural venues, etc. These are historic areas of Jackson with early 1900's homes and old growth trees.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 PM

28 posts, read 78,342 times
From one nurse to another, the Jackson area has the highest paying nursing jobs in the state if you decide to work in a hospital. Hattiesburg, Tupelo and the Gulf Coast are all the next best paying areas in the state.

As far as communities, I'll refrain from saying too much. I have a love/hate relationship with the state. I love the low cost of living, but hate the backwardness of some people here. (I said SOME) Just read other posts about areas that are good to live in.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceena View Post
A couple of other silly questions: I don't mind the southern accent - but am just wondering if people tend to pick it up if they come from other states? And also, is it possible to become entrenched in the south as an transplant and truly end up fitting in? My husband works FT - I am a SAHW and finishing my BSN right now. I mean, would I, (and how would I?) be able to be accepted and fit in?
- You might pick up the accent, it depends on you personally. I tend to mimic the people around me so I pick up the local accent wherever I stay for any extended period. I agree with PM, there is the stereotypical southern drawl (the "Hollywood Accent", which varies in intensity depending on where you are and who you're talking to), and then there is the rural accent. I just hope you don't also pick up the typical rural Mississippian's horrible grammar.

- It is possible "to become entrenched in the south as a transplant", but very unlikely. The place you described, with the old white houses and huge oak trees lining Main Street, is a place where things don't change very often. In Tempe, there are thousands of people moving in and out of the city all the time. With the exception of the college towns, very few people come and go in small MS towns. The same family will own the same house for generations. The house you buy won't be your house, it will be referred to as "so and so's house that those new folks bought". You can join the right church, volunteer to help on committees, and have the best-looking garden in the town; you will have friends and will likely be invited to parties. But because you weren't born there, it is doubtful that you will ever become "entrenched".

And finally, if you have any type of ethnicity other than Caucasian-white, you'll quickly realize that the stereotypical south you described has an ugly side. You will find more diversity in the larger cities, but the small-town neighborhoods with the tree-lined streets and white houses were basically reserved for well-off white people.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:36 AM

6 posts, read 19,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

And finally, if you have any type of ethnicity other than Caucasian-white, you'll quickly realize that the stereotypical south you described has an ugly side. You will find more diversity in the larger cities, but the small-town neighborhoods with the tree-lined streets and white houses were basically reserved for well-off white people.
This is true of any skin color in MS. You can find racist neighborhoods in several places in MS. And it isn't just white people.

Some of the most racist people I have ever met have been young 20 something AA men from the delta.

while attending Northeast Mississippi Community college, they would openly mock white kids for being white. Severial would hang out around the stairs and harass and threaten white students. I personally was harrassed and called things like "joe dirt" , cracker, and ******. And this was all around campus. When I moved out of the dorm they joyfully referred to my mother as a stupid white b*$ch while she was there to help me move. This was completely unprovoked.

I've been reading this forum for the past 2 or 3 hours. It gets really tiresome reading one side acting like the other is the only one that is racist. Where there is poverty in MS, their is racism. And where there is a lack of education, their is racism. Regardless of skin color. The "other" side is not a fantastic evil beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi