U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 PM

84 posts, read 34,741 times

Advertisements

I have what I would call my dream job opportunity in Greenwood. My family had a trip planned for Easter weekend, but current conditions have obviously forced us to delay that so I thought I'd ask some questions of people who live/have been there before. For comparison purposes, I've lived in similarly sized communities in the Carolina's most of my life. Anyway, my questions,

How are the schools? I have kids, who I'll likely send to private school, is Pillow Academy good? How does it compare to Carrol Academy? My wife is also a teacher, and will likely choose to teach in public schools, I've heard bad things about them, but are they really that bad? She's used to lower income students with home problems, but no major violence type of issues.

Where is the best place to live? Searches on Zillow have shown I should be able to get pretty much whatever house we want, but the selection is somewhat thin, are there neighborhoods to avoid?

Church recommendations? We're moderately religious, but it is Mississippi haha. We're Episcopalian, I saw the church of the Nativity, it seems pretty good. Any info would be helpful. Would also be opened to Methodist or Lutheran.

What is there to do? I know its a smaller area but what are some good parks, trails etc? Are there good restaurants? We love eating out. Hows the downtown area? My research has given me really mixed results on this, some areas seem nice for a town this size, others seem run down.

Is crime bad? Online says its a little better than where I currently live. I grew up in the nice part of town that had major crime problems, so I'm used to it to some extent, but stats can be misleading, is it a real problem or is it mostly contained to a certain area/group of people?

I know the area has been hit hard by corona so I hope everyone is doing well! Thanks in advanced for any information you all can provide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 09:42 PM

973 posts, read 1,014,030 times
Its been about 30 years since I lived in the Greenwood area, but I visit the Greenwood/Grenada/Carrollton/Winona Metroplex several dozen times each year. I'll give it my best shot. There is at least one other poster on this forum from Greenwood, so hopefully others will chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith0711 View Post
I have what I would call my dream job opportunity in Greenwood. My family had a trip planned for Easter weekend, but current conditions have obviously forced us to delay that so I thought I'd ask some questions of people who live/have been there before. For comparison purposes, I've lived in similarly sized communities in the Carolina's most of my life. Anyway, my questions,

How are the schools? I have kids, who I'll likely send to private school, is Pillow Academy good? How does it compare to Carrol Academy? My wife is also a teacher, and will likely choose to teach in public schools, I've heard bad things about them, but are they really that bad? She's used to lower income students with home problems, but no major violence type of issues.

Greenwood/Leflore County Public Schools are bad, but up until 10-15 years ago Bankston Elementary was still a decent school. I don't know much about Bankston now. Carroll Academy is the "country" school and Pillow is the school for the Greenwood "in crowd." Both are good schools with good people, I imagine Pillow is still a few steps ahead academically. Carroll County Public Schools are a little better than what you will find in Greenwood and Grenada Public Schools the best of the Public School lot. In the 70s/80s I actually attended PA, CA and Greenwood High at different points.

Where is the best place to live? Searches on Zillow have shown I should be able to get pretty much whatever house we want, but the selection is somewhat thin, are there neighborhoods to avoid?

The more north and east you can get in North Greenwood is really your best option in town. There are some beautiful older homes on Grand Boulevard, but I would stay with houses closer to Robert E. Lee Drive. There are also some neighborhoods and homes off Highway 82 atop Valley Hill you may want to consider.

Church recommendations? We're moderately religious, but it is Mississippi haha. We're Episcopalian, I saw the church of the Nativity, it seems pretty good. Any info would be helpful. Would also be opened to Methodist or Lutheran.

Can't help with this, but Greenwood has more churches than Carter has liver pills, so you should be able to find something that suits your fancy. Churches are a big part of the social circle in Greenwood. Over the years, I've been to several social events at the Episcopal Church of the Nativity, they seem like good people.

What is there to do? I know its a smaller area but what are some good parks, trails etc? Are there good restaurants? We love eating out. Hows the downtown area? My research has given me really mixed results on this, some areas seem nice for a town this size, others seem run down.

Honestly, there's not a ton to do, very few parks and trails, but plenty of fishing and hunting. Cheering on the Bulldogs, Rebels, Crimson Tide or Tigers (LSU, not Clemson!) is also a big pastime. The Crystal Grill is one of the best restaurants in Mississippi, Lusco's, Giardina's and Websters are also very good. There are several good places to eat. There is a good - hole in the wall - rib place (Drakes?) off the 82 Bypass (near the hospital) that serves portions so big they'd feed an Eskimo village for a year. The downtown area is under a constant state of revitalization, its ok, but nothing to get excited about.

Is crime bad? Online says its a little better than where I currently live. I grew up in the nice part of town that had major crime problems, so I'm used to it to some extent, but stats can be misleading, is it a real problem or is it mostly contained to a certain area/group of people?

Not much violent crime, but a lot of property crime, so keep everything locked up and don't leave valuables in sight.

I know the area has been hit hard by corona so I hope everyone is doing well! Thanks in advanced for any information you all can provide.

Last edited by viverlibre; 03-31-2020 at 10:16 PM..

Old 03-31-2020, 09:56 PM

769 posts, read 788,997 times
I lived in Greenwood for four years. I moved from there in 2017. The public schools are not good. If you can send them to private schools, do so. The best place to live in North Greenwood, especially northeast Greenwood. Right now is not good time to buy because most people won't put their houses up for sale until about April or early May.

If your looking for tons of things to do. You're out of luck. There isn't even a movie theater in Greenwood. There a lot of great restaurants though.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:08 AM

Thanks for the information ya'll! I'm used to smaller areas, although Greenwood is a little further from a major city, my main concern is good places to eat, which sounds like there are plenty of. Its a shame there aren't any nice parks, especially along the river.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:53 AM

460 posts, read 1,213,925 times
Greenwood is in the Mississippi Delta, and the MS Delta has been described as "The most southern place on earth." It is culture shock to a lot of folks, but has some of the best people in the country in my opinion. There is not much to do in the Delta except socialize, and Delta folks are big on that. Mostly everyone is very friendly and welcoming. They have exceptional manners.

Being in the Delta, you will also go eat and visit in other Delta towns like Cleveland, Indianola, Greenville and Clarksdale, as they are all kind of connected. It is a farming community (corn, cotton, soybeans, and some rice) but Greenwood has other industries like Viking, so it is a bit more vibrant than other nearby towns. The Aluvian Hotel downtown is very nice, and has a great restaurant already mentioned (Giardina's). Go get the breakfast from the Aluvian some time.

You definitely want to send your kids to Pillow Academy. Teaching in public school in Greenwood will probably be somewhat of a challenge due to the poverty.

The Episcopal church in Greenwood is nice; I have relatives that enjoy the priest there.

There are good, but limited amount of restaurants in Greenwood. The nice ones were mentioned in a post or two above. As I mentioned, it is common for Delta folks to drive 30 minutes to an hour away to other restaurants (i.e. Doe's in Greenville; Delta Meat Market in Cleveland). Other than that, you will have to drive 1.5 to 2 hours to Memphis or Jackson for more variety.

Downtown is nice for a Delta town, but that is very relative; it is mostly just 1 nice street where the Aluvian and Viking cooking school are.

The crime is mostly limited to property crime and domestic between folks that know each other. I would not be overly concerned about random violent crime.

You really just have to be prepared for the isolation and lifestyle of the Mississippi Delta. You have to be content with mostly socializing for your entertainment, limited amount of eating out options, and a small town lifestyle. Cleveland is probably considered the nicest of the Delta towns (mostly due to Delta State University), but Greenwood is easily the second nicest and continues to be revitalized. What I would say is, get involved and take the welcoming people up on their supper clubs and other social gatherings and you may find you really love the Delta. If your family is a more keep to themselves, the Delta may not be a great fit, but if you are easily entertained and do not need quick access to an airport, you can make it work.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the replies, hoping to make it down there next month for a visit. We've agreed to put everything on hold until the current situation has calmed down.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:18 AM

1,952 posts, read 717,034 times
Bill: I worked in North Mississippi for many years, and traveled through Greenwood working with tractor and equipment dealers.

The Mississippi Delta has a very closed society, with the nicest people being the country club set. I suggest you go to Wikipedia and look up Greenwood to get a feel for what's there and economics of the region.

The nicest cities in the state have always been the bigger university towns, like Oxford, Starkville and Hattiesburg. Unfortunately, Greenwood is not one of those places.

And I don't know that there are any cities in proximity I would care to raise a family in.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:12 AM

135 posts, read 78,610 times
Greenwood feels remarkably urbane. As town designs go, it has a sophisticated feel.

Grand Boulevard is the Main Street, about one mile long and lined with huge oaks arching over from both sides. The homes are elegant and yards lush. This part of town, which is probably one or two square miles in total, is surrounded on three sides by small rivers, giving it a secluded, protected feeling. They have their own little commercial strip with a Walgreens, grocery store, hardware store and a handful of restaurants and gas stations.

On one end of Grand Boulevard, as you cross the river out of town, is lush, green Delta farm land. One the other end, crossing the river on this side, is downtown Greenwood. They are blessed with a charming Main Street featuring the Alluvian Hotel, Viking cooking school, bookstore, and Episcopal church.

Culturally speaking, Northside Sun editor Wyatt Emmerich writes frequently about Greenwood (where he grew up) and describes it as a highly social, drinking town with lovely people and a tolerant, genuine, genteel culture.

Carrollton which is just 10 miles east, is dotted with antebellum homes and quaint town square. Carrollton is tiny, but you can tell along the highway between Greenwood and Carrolton that some people choose to live in Carroll County for its hilly, heavily wooded landscape and beautiful land.

For schools, my impression is that Pillow Academy is very much a college preparatory school where essentially all graduates attend some type of college, but also serves in some ways as a replacement for a normal, middle class public school. Their website says that their average ACT score is 23, but their university honors track program has an average of 29. Tuition is extremely low compared to private schools in the Jackson area. This suggests to me that Pillow serves students in the honors program who are likely to go on the medical, law, and business school, as well as those who may choose community colleges, and all in between.

It goes without saying that Greenwood has a side of town that is extremely poor. But for middle class families, there is definitely a society of families who play golf, tennis, hunt and fish, go on vacations to Florida, New Orleans, Europe, etc and make lots of trips to Oxford and Starkville for football, basketball, and baseball weekends, and Jackson for restaurants, shopping, and cultural events. For people who have the means, they can most certainly live happy lives in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi