U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 03:40 AM

1,058 posts, read 342,278 times

Advertisements

I feel forced...

Memphis proper would have no place for a large plant farm. Counting on just the areas around Anthonyville Ark. would be very precarious. The areas surrounding West Memphis Ark. and in non-Memphian Tenn. wouldn't treat Cabbage Palmettos and Southern Live Oaks so well in some winters.

Additionally, moving to equally warm parts of NE Ark. an hour away from downtown Memphis, although an option, wouldn't be a good idea; I need customers from Memphis for my nursery and am a city person. This leaves the Miss. suburbs as most suitable, until you consider...

On the other hand, both the general public and state government in Miss. are even more deplorable than that of Tennessee, which is among the worst in the country. I'm an openly gay man, and another reason I feel the need to move is that the Cookeville Tenn. area makes me extremely uncomfortable and finding a boyfriend all but impossible. An even more prejudiced state government and statewide general public could make even the southside Memphis suburbs nearly unbearable, as Cookeville is.

Is it worth it? I REALLY need those Cabbage Palmettos and Southern Live Oaks for those living in Memphis itself and northern Miss. (and Anthonyville Ark. and its surrounding rural areas) if I choose Memphis over Nashville or Dallas, but I'd have to create a microclimate to do it in the areas west, east or north of Memphis. Creating microclimates deliberately can go horribly wrong, and it probably wouldn't protect the big plants as they got older anyways.

P.S.: In Memphis itself, Anthonyville or one of the Miss. suburbs, I'd also still be able to grow the high water requirement plants like Great Rhododendron, Spoonwood Mountain Laurel, American Holly and River Cane which Dallas couldn't, as well as the Chinese Windmill Palms and Deep South plants I couldn't in Nashville. Not the Deep South plants in the colder parts of the metro, though. So hopefully you understand why I need to know whether dealing with NW Miss. is worth it.

Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 10:27 AM

14,030 posts, read 20,248,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I feel forced...

Memphis proper would have no place for a large plant farm. Counting on just the areas around Anthonyville Ark. would be very precarious. The areas surrounding West Memphis Ark. and in non-Memphian Tenn. wouldn't treat Cabbage Palmettos and Southern Live Oaks so well in some winters.

Additionally, moving to equally warm parts of NE Ark. an hour away from downtown Memphis, although an option, wouldn't be a good idea; I need customers from Memphis for my nursery and am a city person. This leaves the Miss. suburbs as most suitable, until you consider...

On the other hand, both the general public and state government in Miss. are even more deplorable than that of Tennessee, which is among the worst in the country. I'm an openly gay man, and another reason I feel the need to move is that the Cookeville Tenn. area makes me extremely uncomfortable and finding a boyfriend all but impossible. An even more prejudiced state government and statewide general public could make even the southside Memphis suburbs nearly unbearable, as Cookeville is.

Is it worth it? I REALLY need those Cabbage Palmettos and Southern Live Oaks for those living in Memphis itself and northern Miss. (and Anthonyville Ark. and its surrounding rural areas) if I choose Memphis over Nashville or Dallas, but I'd have to create a microclimate to do it in the areas west, east or north of Memphis. Creating microclimates deliberately can go horribly wrong, and it probably wouldn't protect the big plants as they got older anyways.

P.S.: In Memphis itself, Anthonyville or one of the Miss. suburbs, I'd also still be able to grow the high water requirement plants like Great Rhododendron, Spoonwood Mountain Laurel, American Holly and River Cane which Dallas couldn't, as well as the Chinese Windmill Palms and Deep South plants I couldn't in Nashville. Not the Deep South plants in the colder parts of the metro, though. So hopefully you understand why I need to know whether dealing with NW Miss. is worth it.

Thank you in advance!

Wow, what a thread. So if I can summarize your thread: "I don't want to live near you deplorable people but I have to for work, what do you think?"

So two comments:
1.) Climate wise, NW MS is about the same as Nashville and eastern Arkansas. We don't call ourselves the deep south here, but the mid-south. Also Dallas is drier about the same: Short winters but definitely 4 season weather, and it is a winter - lots of freezing weather in winter, snow and ice occasionally.
2.) Regarding the unfortunate situation of living and working near us "deplorables". No one cares, no one cares if you are gay as long as you don't cop the attitude as you display in your thread. If you do, then yes, problems. Otherwise NW MS, specifically Desoto county, as a bedroom community to Memphis is as diverse and relatively well educated as anywhere in the US. Yeah we got running water and eeeelectricty here. Would you believe it? And it's amazing, as it appears your customers will be local, you are already dismissing your own customer as deplorables. That's the way to success right there.

And if none of the above work for you, then take Lynryd Skynyrd's advice: "A southern man don't need you 'round, anyhow"

Old 04-18-2020, 10:18 PM

3,270 posts, read 4,414,598 times
I'd say stick to Desoto County and Tate County.

Nice suburban/rural, bedroom communities like Southaven, Horn Lake, Hernando, and Senatobia.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:25 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,000,489 times
Is this like a drunk rant? Not even sure what I just read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi