Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,765 times

Advertisements

Live/work up near Chicago. Nearing retirement age, but not quite there. Been through the area between Jackson and Hattiesburg. Like it a lot. Yep, looking for work too. Engineer by training - telecom primarily. Taught college level for 10 years pt. Thinking of teaching (HS or college level) or working in my field. Like the rural, quiet life. However, think I'll miss more urban roots. Suggestions on locations welcome. Suggestions on getting a job appreciated as well. Mississippi is a well kept secret. Beautiful area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2006, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 7,643 times
I've lived in Meridian, MS most of my life. We are moving to Virginia this summer, just to try something different. The heat down here really gets to me in the summer! Meridian is a beautiful town, rolling hills, a reservoir, beautiful blooms in the Spring. We have a Community College and a branch of MS State University, public and private high schools. I know the private high school is always needing good teachers. We are also a huge medical community - 3 large hospitals. Peavey Electronics is based here. There are plans for major developments in the arts for the town to become an art center- alot of good things going on. Housing is extremely affordable with all sizes and types of acreage. It has been a nice place to live so you might want to visit. [moderator CUT]
Good luck!

Last edited by Marka; 05-13-2006 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-14-2006, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,763 times
Default Come on down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingSouth
Live/work up near Chicago. Nearing retirement age, but not quite there. Been through the area between Jackson and Hattiesburg. Like it a lot. Yep, looking for work too. Engineer by training - telecom primarily. Taught college level for 10 years pt. Thinking of teaching (HS or college level) or working in my field. Like the rural, quiet life. However, think I'll miss more urban roots. Suggestions on locations welcome. Suggestions on getting a job appreciated as well. Mississippi is a well kept secret. Beautiful area. Thanks in advance.
You're a man after my own heart. (Assuming you're a man.)

Jackson is perfectly lovely. It is a place rich in opportunity, and loaded with the kind of people you would want or neighbors. Still looks like and feels like the country you grew up in, even though change has arrived there too, and will continue. Those of us who love the town are committed to change being positive instead of negative. We'd love to have you join us.

A guy named Bob Moses, a veteran of the Civil Rights movement, PhD who could work at Harvard if he wanted to, has developed a math program at a Lanier High School in Jackson. Has been quietly toiling away for years here and has done wonderful things. Principled, motivated teachers would be very welcome I would think.

The Clarion-Ledger newspaper has a forum like this that I post in some times. You might check that out, but beware of this strange disease that has manifested itself there before -- some kind of weird urge to say bad things about their own town. The Jackson Free Press has a forum peopled with people who don't suffer from that disease, so I recommend you look at both.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:31 PM

564 posts, read 2,340,855 times
You couldn't pay me enough to live near Jackson again.

Move there at your own risk.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:13 AM

10 posts, read 40,264 times
Default You're from Nebraska and hate AR too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea
You couldn't pay me enough to live near Jackson again.

Move there at your own risk.
You apparently hate all the south;conclusion from your posts on AR.

I am from south Miss; south of Jackson. Lived in Pearl (west of Jackson) for about 2-3 years. That was about 15 years ago; loved the area. Brandon(further west) is also nice. Terry is south and more rural, nice from what I saw. A little further south is Raymond, great small town, has Hinds community college; lived there about a year. The people are friendly, people in the south are not hard to get to know, as a general rule. City is growing towards Madison,Ridgeland areas. Any ?'s in particular, please pm; however I have not lived there for 15 years and can only speak of that time.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 11,968 times
Default Come on Down

Quote:

I live in Mendenhall, 55 miles north of Hattiesburg about 30 miles south of Jackson. Co-Lin jr. college has opened a branch here (just finnished 1st semester) and they need teachers. There are two public schools and one private school in Simpson County. Nisson has opened a huge plant in Canton, north of Jackson. The crime rate in Jackson city limits is quit high, but not so bad in rural areas.
Goog Luck

Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 PM

12 posts, read 70,530 times
I'm not familiar with Hattiesburg, and have very little recall of Jackson, where I did undergrad at Millsaps College many years ago before leaving for the much larger UW-Madison and it's highly varied curriculum. I think Millsaps became less liberal arts and more business after I left, but it was, I think, a highly-rated college among the small, private, liberal arts schools in the nation.
However, as another possible option, the booming Desoto County area offers the benefits of being adjacent to Memphis to satisfy your urban longings, while avoiding Memphis city and Shelby county outrageous property taxes. You've also got some potential opp's with International Paper and Fedex headquarters, as well as just more job opportunities in general.
I just moved into Tate county, which is almost completely rural except for Senatobia, the county seat, where there is a college, and a few other businesses and factories. I'm not familiar with the school; I think it's Southwest Community College....certainly no high-tech think tank (their website home page shows some guy on a bucking bronco)...but I don't know what you're after.
My area is quite rural, which is very new for me, having come from a metro area of 4.5 million people. I head to Memphis twice a week, and would go more if I hadn't taken in so many stray animals. Few people in Tate spay/neuter or give hearworm preventive, or keep their pets confined or inside. There are lots of unethical breeders, too, who prostitute dogs to try to make easy money. I meet them at the vet when they bring in their "mistakes" to have them put to death. Many other dogs wander the county until I find them or they end up dying miserable, slow deaths from heartworms, coccidia, or being hit by cars. I don't see many full-grown cats. I think they don't make it past kittenhood because of all the coyotes and stray dogs. There are a couple of new subdivisions coming in with covenants that require pet owners to take better care of their animals. I'm looking forward to the changes. Desoto County has a humane society and ordinances to help prevent all of that.

Last edited by Accountable; 06-03-2006 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-05-2006, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,219 times
Well I agree with the move at your own risk comment for Jackson! If you haven't lived there in 15 years then you would be disappointed if you came back. I have lived in Jackson, MS all of my life. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my state and I am proud to be from Jackson, but I must say that things have been on a steady decline for the last 5 years. Crime here is AWFUL!! We are not that big of a city with crime rates that rank up there with Los Angeles!! Most of the business are moving out in the Ridgeland, Madison, Pearl and Lakeland areas. Now those areas are being very well developed and are definitely worth looking into. My parents want to move out of Jackson b/c of the awful crime! You can not even go to the gas station anymore without your purse being stolen out of your car! I am moving in the next year or so to NC and I hope my parents go ahead and move to Terry, MS where it is safer. Then we can finally say good riddens to Jackson!!!

Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 19,625 times
Default Try a suburb of Jackson

If I were you, I would try Flowood, Ridgeland or Madison. These are suburbs of Jackson. The real estate is pricey, but nothing compared to where you are now. There are many new homes to chose from. I'm quite sure you could easily find a new 3BR home for $150,000 in Ridgeland or Flowood. I'm counting five colleges in the metro area. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:32 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Default Urban Roots

Quote:
However, think I'll miss more urban roots.
Yes you will. I grew up in Detroit (Chicago's ugly little sister). I ended up in Rural Suburban NC for 12 years. Kind got stuck due to work etc.
Unless you really hate Chicago, then you will have a tough time adjusting to the South. You are a Midwesterner, but down there you will be a Yankee.
Some people make the transition and love it, but I eventually had to get back to a big city.
My sister lived outside of Hattiesburg for about 17 years. While her husband fit in because he was from rural Tennessee, she was always an outsider, because she was a Yankee.
My suggestion would be to go down and live there for a couple of years before buying something. My parents who grew up in Western NC, but moved to Detroit and lived there most of their adult lives, eventually moved back to NC in retirement. My Dad admitted to me before he died that he should have never moved back down South. He had been up north near a big city too long. Just couldn't get used to it.
You sound like a nice guy. Just be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi