Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 05:27 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Having so few good jobs outside of healthcare is killing us, we desperately need a large, high tech employer. Maybe once the state flag is gone (I believe that will happen soon), a large corporation will set up a secondary HQ or Regional Office here.
What person with in-demand tech skills would move his family to Mississippi and be stuck with that one single employer? Next economic downturn when the layoffs happen, or if they just want a change, that person will be unable to find comparable employment anywhere close by.

So don't expect any large high tech employers to move to Mississippi, except maybe in commuting distance to Memphis.

People remember what happened after the death of WorldCom. Where are all those high tech people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 08:01 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
What person with in-demand tech skills would move his family to Mississippi and be stuck with that one single employer? Next economic downturn when the layoffs happen, or if they just want a change, that person will be unable to find comparable employment anywhere close by.

So don't expect any large high tech employers to move to Mississippi, except maybe in commuting distance to Memphis.

People remember what happened after the death of WorldCom. Where are all those high tech people?
Where? .... Atlanta, probably.

I'm think you're right. Mississippi is a good place for me to live in this stage of my life (I'm retired) but I can't say as I highly recommend it for a young go-getter with his brand new college degree. People who are tied to families stay here, for the most part.
As I said in another thread, I was disappointed when my grandson took a teaching job in Mississippi, and married a local girl whose family has been in Mississippi for several generations. My grandson, BTW, is my grandson through my step daughter, so he is actually a step-grandson, if there is such a thing. And no member of his family has ever - as far as can be determined - lived anyplace other than Mississippi.
So he will live his entire life here, teaching and coaching in a mediocre system.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:54 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Where? .... Atlanta, probably.

I'm think you're right. Mississippi is a good place for me to live in this stage of my life (I'm retired) but I can't say as I highly recommend it for a young go-getter with his brand new college degree. People who are tied to families stay here, for the most part.
As I said in another thread, I was disappointed when my grandson took a teaching job in Mississippi, and married a local girl whose family has been in Mississippi for several generations. My grandson, BTW, is my grandson through my step daughter, so he is actually a step-grandson, if there is such a thing. And no member of his family has ever - as far as can be determined - lived anyplace other than Mississippi.
So he will live his entire life here, teaching and coaching in a mediocre system.
I would think that in a place like Mississippi he could make a huge positive impact on his students and athletes if he is in the public school system.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I would think that in a place like Mississippi he could make a huge positive impact on his students and athletes if he is in the public school system.
"A place like Mississippi"? I gotta smile at all that phrase implies.

But no, he won't. In the first place he is teaching in one of the best school districts. They don't need him; kids in the delta need him, but alas, delta schools pay poorly and it is a whole 3 hours away from his new bride's family. They will not be leaving. Ever.

My second objection is a little more subtle. Most folks believe that football is a method of teaching about how hard work pays off and the importance of teamwork. I don't think it does. What it does is teach the efficacy of bullying, and create false heroes out of fairly ordinary kids who promptly fall apart after high school. Football in high school destroys lives as millions of boys give up on their studies because they are "going to play for the NFL". They are told daily that it is true, and our Saturday newspapers carefully report the number of tackles they made or the number of passes they completed.
Sports, I believe, should be within the purview of the various cities and sports organizations, not the schools.

Millionaire coaches encouraging unpaid 19 year olds to use their body as a weapon? .... Nah.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:56 PM

197 posts, read 204,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofms View Post
Work took my husband and me out of the state for a bit and we honestly thought that we might consider other states for retirement but after being away our beloved, conservative State of Mississippi looks better than ever. We want to come home.

After doing some research it is easy to see that we will be part of the mass migration of conservatives converging on the state looking for reasonable home prices, outdoor recreation and a more relaxed, peaceful pace with a low crime rate.

We have no interest in looking in places like Madison, Oxford (way too liberal now), the coast and certainly nowhere near Memphis.

A decade ago I knew the lay of the land but understand things have changed a bit, some changes for the better some changes for the worst.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where we might start looking for a place with the qualities I mentioned above?

Our home budget is less than 300K and we would like to find a 3BR 2 bath with a decently sized yard of no more than 1 acre.

Thanks in advance.
I don’t think you’ll have to worry about anywhere in MS being too liberal....

In smaller cities and towns in the South, politics are split among racial lines: whites are Republicans, blacks are (mostly socially conservative) Democrats....

One thing i’ve noticed ironically, it’s actually people in the trendy city “knowledge economy” type areas like Metro Atlanta, etc that actually participate in outdoor recreation (other than hunting and fishing) a lot more than people who actually live in small towns.

Last edited by lethalhipster9; 06-20-2020 at 04:26 PM..

Old 06-20-2020, 07:30 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
"A place like Mississippi"? I gotta smile at all that phrase implies.

But no, he won't. In the first place he is teaching in one of the best school districts. They don't need him; kids in the delta need him, but alas, delta schools pay poorly and it is a whole 3 hours away from his new bride's family. They will not be leaving. Ever.

My second objection is a little more subtle. Most folks believe that football is a method of teaching about how hard work pays off and the importance of teamwork. I don't think it does. What it does is teach the efficacy of bullying, and create false heroes out of fairly ordinary kids who promptly fall apart after high school. Football in high school destroys lives as millions of boys give up on their studies because they are "going to play for the NFL". They are told daily that it is true, and our Saturday newspapers carefully report the number of tackles they made or the number of passes they completed.
Sports, I believe, should be within the purview of the various cities and sports organizations, not the schools.

Millionaire coaches encouraging unpaid 19 year olds to use their body as a weapon? .... Nah.
A place like Mississippi. I live "in a place like Mississippi" here in Oklahoma. No disrespect intended to Mississippi.

That being said, it sounds like he lives in a desirable place and teaches a quality type of student. So in essence he probably doesn't make as much money as he might in another state but probably has an equitable quality of life given the cost of living in MS.

As for football. I enjoy football as much or more than anybody but I won't argue your points other than to say that they pretty much have football everywhere.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:27 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
blacks are (mostly socially conservative) Democrats....
Maybe? But from what I've seen, I'd classify the current of Mayor of Jackson liberal.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Work took my husband and me out of the state for a bit and we honestly thought that we might consider other states for retirement but after being away our beloved, conservative State of Mississippi looks better than ever. We want to come home.

After doing some research it is easy to see that we will be part of the mass migration of conservatives converging on the state looking for reasonable home prices, outdoor recreation and a more relaxed, peaceful pace with a low crime rate.

We have no interest in looking in places like Madison, Oxford (way too liberal now), the coast and certainly nowhere near Memphis.

A decade ago I knew the lay of the land but understand things have changed a bit, some changes for the better some changes for the worst.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where we might start looking for a place with the qualities I mentioned above?

Our home budget is less than 300K and we would like to find a 3BR 2 bath with a decently sized yard of no more than 1 acre.

Thanks in advance.
I'd look at George or Stone county. Close enough to Biloxi, Gulfport, or Mobile for shopping, but far enough inland to avoid the major damage from hurricanes. I have friends who live in Wiggins and they love it there.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:23 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I would strongly suggest you first get a map and look at what cities you'd like to live in are in Mississippi. Then go to Wikipedia and look up the socioeconomics of that city. I think you'll be surprised.

I think you know the Mississippi you left is no longer the Mississippi of today. All the growth has been just outside of Memphis and down on the Gulf Coast. Around Hernando and outside of Olive Branch has improved with so many people leaving a dysfunctional Memphis. The coast has rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina and society down there is improving.

My favorite cities in that state would be the university cities of Starkville and Hattiesburg right now. But they've also got their shortcomings. Oxford has a pretty great restaurant scene and has improved over the years too.

But come to North Alabama, Middle and East Tennessee and you truly might find communities where you'd like to live. Let me just leave it at that.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I would strongly suggest you first get a map and look at what cities you'd like to live in are in Mississippi. Then go to Wikipedia and look up the socioeconomics of that city. I think you'll be surprised.

I think you know the Mississippi you left is no longer the Mississippi of today. All the growth has been just outside of Memphis and down on the Gulf Coast. Around Hernando and outside of Olive Branch has improved with so many people leaving a dysfunctional Memphis. The coast has rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina and society down there is improving.

My favorite cities in that state would be the university cities of Starkville and Hattiesburg right now. But they've also got their shortcomings. Oxford has a pretty great restaurant scene and has improved over the years too.

But come to North Alabama, Middle and East Tennessee and you truly might find communities where you'd like to live. Let me just leave it at that.
I live in Mississippi, but you make a good point. I lived in Huntsville some years back, and Cullman before that.
North Alabama has a lot to offer. Cullman for the cooler weather; Huntsville for the upscale populace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi