U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 09:12 AM

14,777 posts, read 21,480,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
Really do think that many Black Americans, especially the middle aged to older individuals, are indeed conservative in many respects - more than people realize.
This is true but this doesn't mean that black southerners vote for Republicans. So while they share many of the same ideals, there is a definite split between the two groups.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 11:03 AM

384 posts, read 101,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's a progressive way of thinking that usually isn't supported there, do you think a large comprehensive transit system would ever pass if it came to a vote?
There is a stigma in the South against public transit. For many people, it's only for poor blacks. And it is a fact that most riders are indeed poor and black.
But that's because the existing public transit options are bad. Whoever can afford not to use it, usually chooses not to use it.

It doesn't have to be this way. I believe that if the city would launch a campaign to project a positive image of public transit, and improve the service (more routes, higher frequency), it could possibly pass.

I'm not a progressive, by the way, and still I value public transportation. So, you see, all hope is not lost.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:05 PM

973 posts, read 1,014,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
There is a stigma in the South against public transit. For many people, it's only for poor blacks. And it is a fact that most riders are indeed poor and black.
But that's because the existing public transit options are bad. Whoever can afford not to use it, usually chooses not to use it.

It doesn't have to be this way. I believe that if the city would launch a campaign to project a positive image of public transit, and improve the service (more routes, higher frequency), it could possibly pass.

I'm not a progressive, by the way, and still I value public transportation. So, you see, all hope is not lost.
Mississippi is made up of small towns and public transportation is just not needed or feasible in most of the state. This not only holds true in the south, but in the midwest, northeast and west coast, small towns don't have much, if any, public transportation and it has been that way for decades. Public transportation existed in smaller towns into the 60s/70s, but as more and more people and ethnic groups improved their economic situation, the demand for busing fell. Jackson, Hattiesburg and Gulfport are about the only areas it may be feasible and I think JATRAN loses a ton of money. In DeSoto County the population is spread out among different municipalities, getting everyone on board there would the a challenge.

In the early part of the 20th century trains were a major source of public transportation (even in the 'Sip), then it became buses, now it is private vehicles - this as much the result of the evolution of society as anything else.

In Atlanta people of all races ride the MARTA with no issues.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,214 times
Look at Ocean Springs. I'm a moderate, but was considered a liberal by many people there. Haha. With Gulf Shores Beach less than a couple hours east and New Orleans less than a couple hours west, friendly people and low prices, I found this area to be one of the best kept secrets in the US. Every time I visit I wonder why I left to begin with.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:47 AM

11,418 posts, read 8,198,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd66 View Post
Look at Ocean Springs. I'm a moderate, but was considered a liberal by many people there. Haha. With Gulf Shores Beach less than a couple hours east and New Orleans less than a couple hours west, friendly people and low prices, I found this area to be one of the best kept secrets in the US. Every time I visit I wonder why I left to begin with.
There are wonderful places in the state of Mississippi. You hear all the stats and horror stories but when I go to Mississippi I don't go to places like that. I have spent most of my time in the three University towns and find them all really nice places. They are on par with most other small college towns around the country. If you aren't poor it's not all that much different than anyplace else other than being a smaller state with less bells and whistles. But even then you have a nice coast, and tourist towns like New Orleans and Memphis close to the state.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:55 AM

2,011 posts, read 1,109,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Mississippi is made up of small towns and public transportation is just not needed or feasible in most of the state. This not only holds true in the south, but in the midwest, northeast and west coast, small towns don't have much, if any, public transportation and it has been that way for decades. Public transportation existed in smaller towns into the 60s/70s, but as more and more people and ethnic groups improved their economic situation, the demand for busing fell. Jackson, Hattiesburg and Gulfport are about the only areas it may be feasible and I think JATRAN loses a ton of money. In DeSoto County the population is spread out among different municipalities, getting everyone on board there would the a challenge.

In the early part of the 20th century trains were a major source of public transportation (even in the 'Sip), then it became buses, now it is private vehicles - this as much the result of the evolution of society as anything else.

In Atlanta people of all races ride the MARTA with no issues.
This right here hits the nail on the head. A large population of our country, primary coastal cities, have become accustomed to public transit system in the large metros. Micropolitan areas won't have use for it generally.

Mississippi have 3 main metros ( JXN / Coast / H'Burg) and 26 Micros. The population is split down the middle with it tipping more towards the metros now.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:27 AM

360 posts, read 755,312 times
[quote=ladyofms;58415815]Work took my husband and me out of the state for a bit and we honestly thought that we might consider other states for retirement but after being away our beloved, conservative State of Mississippi looks better than ever. We want to come home.

After doing some research it is easy to see that we will be part of the mass migration of conservatives converging on the state looking for reasonable home prices, outdoor recreation and a more relaxed, peaceful pace with a low crime rate.

I find your post interesting mentioning a "migration" of conservatives to Mississippi. If I could state in having a similar desire to relocate, a word of caution about too many liberals.

The creep of the extreme democratic mantra is everywhere. Looking at the governmental charts of red states you will see more democratic wins vs conservatives, this is how it starts as evidenced here in Arizona.

I have friends in Natchez Mississippi and have visited there. Although the weather is not ideal for me as I would prefer more of a mild seasonable climate, maybe some snow if we move, Mississippi might be one of the last strongholds for my believes especially after this political year.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:53 AM

135 posts, read 78,610 times
I always have the same reaction when I visit the Coast...i.e. why am I not living here?

Ocean Springs couldn't be any more charming. I wish every town in Mississippi would replicate those tree-lined streets and charming Main Street.

Also gorgeous are Bay St. Louis and Waveland, which seem to be the more liberal part of the Coast. Interestingly the Ocean Springs city council a couple of years ago was so irate over the Mayor refusing to fly the confederate flag over city hall that they passed a bill forcing the mayor by law to fly the confederate flag. Looks like the Mayor had the last laugh on that one.

By comparison Bay St. Louis and Waveland in recent years both took down the confederate flag and became the some of the first towns in Mississippi to pass bills recognizing the rights to dignity and equality under the law of LGBTQ Mississippians.

The Gulfport and Biloxi mayors came out in support of changing the state flag.

Interestingly it appears that even though Ocean Springs describes itself as artistic and cultured, it's actually somewhat of a safe haven for cultural conservatives in the region. It sure is pretty though.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:00 PM

165 posts, read 486,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
As you say, there is no mass migration of young conservatives, but the class you acknowledge as moving out are almost universally liberal.

It has been declared by more than one person that there was no switch of political parties in Mississippi. There was a switch of people. Older Democrats have died off, younger ones have moved away, and been replaced with conservatives like me who have "been away" to other places for most of their lives.
Additionally, many Black people are questioning whether they are liberal at all. Traditionally, Black people go to church, do not get abortions, have little interest in LGBT rights, and are generally opposed to illegal immigrants taking jobs from Americans, so they find themselves uninterested in much of the liberal dialogue.
Blacks are generally fiscally liberal, so they vote Dem. Half of Christians are Dem. They do get abortions, but not at the rate that whites do.

Old 11-05-2020, 08:19 AM

1,340 posts, read 978,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeacon View Post
Blacks are generally fiscally liberal, so they vote Dem. Half of Christians are Dem. They do get abortions, but not at the rate that whites do.
This is not true. The last stats I saw is that abortions were split roughly by thirds, white/black/hispanic, which means that at it is a higher rate per capita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi