U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 15,098 times

Advertisements

Work took my husband and me out of the state for a bit and we honestly thought that we might consider other states for retirement but after being away our beloved, conservative State of Mississippi looks better than ever. We want to come home.

After doing some research it is easy to see that we will be part of the mass migration of conservatives converging on the state looking for reasonable home prices, outdoor recreation and a more relaxed, peaceful pace with a low crime rate.

We have no interest in looking in places like Madison, Oxford (way too liberal now), the coast and certainly nowhere near Memphis.

A decade ago I knew the lay of the land but understand things have changed a bit, some changes for the better some changes for the worst.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where we might start looking for a place with the qualities I mentioned above?

Our home budget is less than 300K and we would like to find a 3BR 2 bath with a decently sized yard of no more than 1 acre.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 02:22 PM

2,175 posts, read 3,529,307 times
Madison is not conservative enough?

Madison???

Try anywhere in Rankin county. Enjoy!

Old 06-18-2020, 02:24 PM

984 posts, read 1,027,751 times
I'm not looking at any type of realty data, but I don't see any type of "mass migration of conservatives converging on the state." Most data shows a net loss of population, especially for the young college educated. Many of the young, ambitious people I know are moving away due to lack of good jobs, few recreational activities and poor public schools in many areas.

I don't know when it will happen, but MS will be the first African American majority state. MS will start voting democratic prior to that when the whites who vote democrat are factored in.

If jobs, schools, close proximity to medical care or a lack of variety of restaurants/cultural activities are of no concern, MS has many great options. Corinth, Carrollton, Brookhaven, Kosciusko and Hernando are just a few of the many great small towns we have in the 'Sip.

In your budget, you'll be able to find desirable property in any part of state. If you want to be closer to a metropolitan area, Madison, Flowood, Gluckstadt and Brandon are certainly worth considering.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:33 AM

18,672 posts, read 10,983,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofms View Post
Work took my husband and me out of the state for a bit and we honestly thought that we might consider other states for retirement but after being away our beloved, conservative State of Mississippi looks better than ever. We want to come home.

After doing some research it is easy to see that we will be part of the mass migration of conservatives converging on the state looking for reasonable home prices, outdoor recreation and a more relaxed, peaceful pace with a low crime rate.

We have no interest in looking in places like Madison, Oxford (way too liberal now), the coast and certainly nowhere near Memphis.

A decade ago I knew the lay of the land but understand things have changed a bit, some changes for the better some changes for the worst.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where we might start looking for a place with the qualities I mentioned above?

Our home budget is less than 300K and we would like to find a 3BR 2 bath with a decently sized yard of no more than 1 acre.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at Tupelo.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I'm not looking at any type of realty data, but I don't see any type of "mass migration of conservatives converging on the state." Most data shows a net loss of population, especially for the young college educated. Many of the young, ambitious people I know are moving away due to lack of good jobs, few recreational activities and poor public schools in many areas............
As you say, there is no mass migration of young conservatives, but the class you acknowledge as moving out are almost universally liberal.

It has been declared by more than one person that there was no switch of political parties in Mississippi. There was a switch of people. Older Democrats have died off, younger ones have moved away, and been replaced with conservatives like me who have "been away" to other places for most of their lives.
Additionally, many Black people are questioning whether they are liberal at all. Traditionally, Black people go to church, do not get abortions, have little interest in LGBT rights, and are generally opposed to illegal immigrants taking jobs from Americans, so they find themselves uninterested in much of the liberal dialogue.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 999,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I don't know when it will happen, but MS will be the first African American majority state. MS will start voting democratic prior to that when the whites who vote democrat are factored in.
Georgia will eclipse that before Mississippi. They already have a higher non-white percentage. Many of my black friends have left Mississippi for Georgia in the last 10 years.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Georgia will eclipse that before Mississippi. They already have a higher non-white percentage. Many of my black friends have left Mississippi for Georgia in the last 10 years.
Just for the heck of it, I took a look at the fertility rate for the southern states. That's the average number of children born to each woman, and in order to replace the existing population it must be above 2.1. That allows for infant mortality and the like.

There are no southern states with a fertility rate above 2.0, so if no one moves into the state, the population will fall.
Georgia, I think we all know, has a steady influx of people coming from other areas, and mostly coming to Atlanta. So Georgia shows some growth.
Alabama and Mississippi are not common destinations, so their population will continue to decrease. Alabama is actually a wash, showing neither increase nor decrease. Mississippi is a decrease.

In 2008 the most common rate was 2.2; now it is 1.7.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
According to 2019 Census estimates, MS is 38% black/59% white and Georgia is 32% black/60% white (LA is roughly the same as GA).

Old 06-19-2020, 03:57 PM

11,581 posts, read 8,294,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
As you say, there is no mass migration of young conservatives, but the class you acknowledge as moving out are almost universally liberal.

It has been declared by more than one person that there was no switch of political parties in Mississippi. There was a switch of people. Older Democrats have died off, younger ones have moved away, and been replaced with conservatives like me who have "been away" to other places for most of their lives.
Additionally, many Black people are questioning whether they are liberal at all. Traditionally, Black people go to church, do not get abortions, have little interest in LGBT rights, and are generally opposed to illegal immigrants taking jobs from Americans, so they find themselves uninterested in much of the liberal dialogue.
The democrats who have "died off" have children and grandchildren who are now republicans. In 1950 80% of all white southerners were democrats. That number is now less than 30%. When you think about the fact that the old time southern white democrats were culturally conservative... I'm surprised that there are even 30% who are still democrats. The culturally "conservative" white democrat is pretty well extinct.

As you have stated, there are still plenty of culturally conservative black democrats in the south.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have no data to look at, but the ones I know are all from conservative families. Of young college aged people leaving the state, I can't venture a guess as the the percentages of conservatives vs. liberals.

Having so few good jobs outside of healthcare is killing us, we desperately need a large, high tech employer. Maybe once the state flag is gone (I believe that will happen soon), a large corporation will set up a secondary HQ or Regional Office here.

The state has done a decent job of attracting blue collar employers (Ingalls, Continental Tire, Nissan, Toyota and a few more in the Golden Triangle). I'd also like to see more high tech jobs come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi