U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 09:00 AM

1,339 posts, read 977,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
I for one was totally ecstatic when they flag come down. Let the redneck be mad. I dont care.
Your attitude is just as bad as theirs'. It's not a competition for supremacy. So many of these 'progressives' seem to want to make it that way. It's not about being equal, it's about having an advantage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 11:39 AM

11,417 posts, read 8,192,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Is there a state or Federal law that requires Mississippi (or any state) to have a state flag at all? I'm guessing that if EVERY state flag went away tomorrow, 99% of Americans wouldn't even notice or care.

Obviously you've never been to Texas.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:03 PM

18,599 posts, read 10,903,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Obviously you've never been to Texas.
They fly that flag everywhere, don't they?

But I bet if you sneaked up one night and substituted the Puerto Rico flag or even the Cuba flag, no one would notice...

Old 07-03-2020, 12:08 PM

1,840 posts, read 3,356,798 times
It is pretty ridiculous the Mississippi flag hung around this long.

Signed,
White Conservative.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
They fly that flag everywhere, don't they?

But I bet if you sneaked up one night and substituted the Puerto Rico flag or even the Cuba flag, no one would notice...

They actually stole the concept from Chile...

But you'd be wrong.

The lone star flag is everywhere down there and they are always bloviating about how it's the most recognizable flag, doesn't need "Texas" to be spelled out, blah blah blah.

They also in many places have the Texas flag staffed at the same level as the national flag instead of below it like normal states do. You see them flown on two different staffs as often as you see the Texas flag flown below the national flag.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:39 PM

Here is what Bum Phillips (famous Texas football coach said in a story bloviating about "What it means to be a Texan"...

Quote:
When was the last time you went to a person's house in New York and you saw a big map of New York on their wall? That was never. When did you ever drive through Oklahoma and see their flag waving on four businesses in a row? Can you even tell me what the flag in Louisiana looks like? I damned sure can't. But I bet my ass you can't drive 20 minutes from your house and not see a business that has a big Texas flag as part of its logo. If you haven't done business with someone called AllTex something or Lone Star somebody or other, or Texas such and such, you hadn't lived here for too long.
If you want to argue with Bum Phillips feel free. LOL. Frankly I can't live down there. I've tried three times and one of the reasons why is because of that flag being everywhere.

You see this a lot down there...

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

I wish Mississippi would put the Magnolia where the battle flag was. It would be a simple change, it would be representative of the state and it would be something I think everybody could support.

In fact they use a factory decal with this on some of their pickup trucks. Ford, chevy.... all of them have some sort of "Texas addition" with the flag superimposed on something.

Here is just one example...

Last edited by eddie gein; 07-03-2020 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 02:32 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,392,715 times
You could always bring back the "Bonnie Blue Flag". Nobody today associates it with the Confederacy, especially the clueless teens and twenty-somethings that comprise a lot of the protesters. It also closely resembles the national flag of Somalia, which is kinda/sorta BLM:

Old 07-07-2020, 10:17 PM

3,265 posts, read 4,403,138 times
Some counties are refusing to remove it from their courthouses.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:18 AM

23,572 posts, read 24,570,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Is there a state or Federal law that requires Mississippi (or any state) to have a state flag at all? I'm guessing that if EVERY state flag went away tomorrow, 99% of Americans wouldn't even notice or care.
People have come to expect flags to flutter during parades, Mississippi could start a trend in designating a state wind sock or pinwheel.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:36 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,990,987 times
I really like the Magnolia flag concept - apparently it was the unofficial state flag at some point in the past. It's great because it also pays homage to the Republic of West Florida that encompassed the MS coast via the Bonnie Blue single star.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi