Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 08:42 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times

Advertisements

https://yallpolitics.com/2020/06/27/...he-state-flag/

Still one more vote in both cambers (hopefully tomorrow) and the bill will have to be signed by the governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 01:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Oh no, all of Mississippi's history will be wiped away by this action.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:59 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Oh yeah, all the problems with racism will suddenly and instantly get solved.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Now everything will be all right.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Tater Tot signed the bill tonight.

Honestly I don't think it is a good action. Having visited Mississippi repeatedly over the last 4 years, I respect the people there and their decision as it stood since 2001. And the issue, for and against is best put up to a public vote.

The actions today have effectively drawn back, and undid the 2001 vote. Mississippi is now as it was from before 2001 without an "official" state flag. Pro-1894 flag group are working as we speak to petition to have the 1894 flag placed on the ballot in November.

I feel we ain't seen nothing yet.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:52 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Tater Tot signed the bill tonight.

Honestly I don't think it is a good action. Having visited Mississippi repeatedly over the last 4 years, I respect the people there and their decision as it stood since 2001. And the issue, for and against is best put up to a public vote.

The actions today have effectively drawn back, and undid the 2001 vote. Mississippi is now as it was from before 2001 without an "official" state flag. Pro-1894 flag group are working as we speak to petition to have the 1894 flag placed on the ballot in November.

I feel we ain't seen nothing yet.
Much like you I am a big fan of Mississippi but am an out of stater. I just happened to be there when the 2001 vote happened. People who wanted a new flag then felt like the current flag (despite any moral issue) was holding Mississippi back economically and that it damaged the perception of the state. By 2001 the battle flag had been kind of reduced to a "Dukes of Hazzard" or "Smokey and the Bandit" caricature in many parts of the country. At best a southern "redneck" symbol more than any grand tribute to the past. Although the Battle Flag wasn't stigmatized to the degree it is now from a moral standpoint, it didn't do Mississippi any favors by being on the flag.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:37 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
What's with that TABLE, at which the Sunday School Teacher... correction.... the "Governor", is signing the edict or proclamation or whatever it is: Jackson Jambalaya: The Flag Comes Down

Who-the-heck drug that badly-varnished orange wood Spanish Colonial Country Baroque table (or desk, or whatever it's supposed to be) into the Governor's Mansion?

The Governor's Mansion is a Federal Period (American Regency) GEM. It's a particularly lovely example of that style - one of the best in the WORLD. Jacqueline Kennedy (who, despite being a schemer from an arriviste family) had fabulous taste and knew what was correct. She greatly improved the decor in the White House. The most expert among the designers she used at the White House, was brought in, to bring Mississippi's Governor's Mansion's interiors into agreement with the building's architecture. The finished interior was an absolute masterpiece - absolutely comme il faut - for years. But the succession of goobers who've served as governors, seem to have gradually undone what was seamless perfection. The mirror behind the Sunday School Teacher, is correct. The curtains are still correct. I have to wonder about the peach walls. But there is NO DOUBT that that table, both because of its color, and because of its style, has no business anywhere within a strict Federal Period mansion.

That table is, to me, almost as offensive as the notion that the tacky old Dukes-of-Hazzard Flag has been taken-down - not because it's butt-ugly - but because a bunch of FOOTBALL COACHES think it needs to go. That incongruous table is nearly as sickening as the thought that football truly is the most important thing, in the minds of so many people.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-01-2020 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-01-2020, 12:15 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
.................the tacky old Dukes-of-Hazzard Flag has been taken-down - not because it's butt-ugly - but because a bunch of FOOTBALL COACHES think it needs to go. That incongruous table is nearly as sickening as the thought that football truly is the most important thing, in the minds of so many people.
I had the same thought. If some of our more sensitive contributors do not recognize the covert racism in the coaches' actions I would be surprised. The fact is, college sports cannot be competitive without Black participation.
So the question becomes, "Would have those same coaches been so altruistic if their paychecks did not depend on Black students?"

Old 07-01-2020, 01:26 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I had the same thought. If some of our more sensitive contributors do not recognize the covert racism in the coaches' actions I would be surprised. The fact is, college sports cannot be competitive without Black participation.
So the question becomes, "Would have those same coaches been so altruistic if their paychecks did not depend on Black students?"
All I've been saying. Is there are a large number of Pro-Flag groups mobilizing in the state already. November is going to be a bloody mess.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:35 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
All I've been saying. Is there are a large number of Pro-Flag groups mobilizing in the state already. November is going to be a bloody mess.
You know, I don't think it will be. The battle has already been fought and winners decided. It's a matter of picking design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi