Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 04:49 PM

25,332 posts, read 16,968,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Indeed, a large percentage of Arizonans were born elsewhere.
On that subject, it is a fact that many Mississippians were NOT born elsewhere. So given the fact that Mississippi used to be a Democratic stronghold, a lot of multi-generational Mississippians are Democrat to this day. About half my extended family falls into that category.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:10 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,001,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Why?

I've got to tell you... I am not so friendly with Californians who move to my state and then want to vote to turn it into what they left. Are you willing to not vote to try to turn MS into CA, NY, NY, IL, etc?

If you identify as a liberal, why not move to a liberal state? Honest question. And when you start with "But the cost of living... the crime rate... the taxes... the laws..." you really ought to start re-evaluating your beliefs, and not decide that "It'll work better this time!"
The thing is that the people who move from here ( Ca) to where you are , are usually our whining, griping, unhappy with life in general conserves . Yeah . Most liberal people would not willingly move from here to Miss . I would not . None I know would . This has been discussed many times .

Old 02-19-2021, 11:50 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,184,116 times
Ah yes, the fascination with Mississippi continues.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:38 PM

25,332 posts, read 16,968,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
The thing is that the people who move from here ( Ca) to where you are , are usually our whining, griping, unhappy with life in general conserves . Yeah . Most liberal people would not willingly move from here to Miss . I would not . None I know would . This has been discussed many times .
Ignorance and intolerance of liberals has been displayed many times. Most people get their "information" from media and Hollywood, so the fact that they are ignorant of the realities in Mississippi is not really very surprising.

Have you actually known groups of people who moved from California to Mississippi? (Of course you have; that's why you can speak of who "usually" moves)

Old 02-19-2021, 01:50 PM

560 posts, read 778,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Ah yes, the fascination with Mississippi continues.
Because Mississippi is fascinating. Every chance I get I go to Natchez, MS. Until just recently the Mayor of Natchez was an openly Gay African American who won with 92% of the vote. His name is Darryl Grennell and he is a Democrat. The new Mayor of Natchez is Dan Gibson and is also a Democrat.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:22 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,001,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Ignorance and intolerance of liberals has been displayed many times. Most people get their "information" from media and Hollywood, so the fact that they are ignorant of the realities in Mississippi is not really very surprising.

Have you actually known groups of people who moved from California to Mississippi? (Of course you have; that's why you can speak of who "usually" moves)
NO one gets their info from Hollywood lol lawd .. Hollywood gets their info from YOU , from me from all of us and tells the story and makes those stories interesting . Most intelligent people know this .. you should brush up . .
i am a liberal who left Texas , years ago . Plenty of us escaped the south for a better life out here - we already KNOW what is there lmao .. no thanks .

Old 02-20-2021, 10:44 AM

7,725 posts, read 6,358,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Of course you do, but you can't have it both ways. Your democrat leadership gleefully endorsed and encouraged the protest/burning/looting/occupying of last year (nantionally, not specific to Mississsippi)

I live in Minnesota, and my husband is in the National Guard. We were both horrified by the murder of George Floyd AND the burning and rioting in the Twin Cities. But the rioting was NOT encouraged by our democratic leaders, at least not in Minnesota. Otherwise, why the hell would they activate the guard?

Also, don't compare riots over police brutality to riots over election results. Not the same plane of existence, not even close.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 2,040,580 times
Unique thing about Californians moving to the Sipp is that a sizable migration of Sippians moved to Cali ( Whites & Blacks). One of the L.A mayors in the past was originally from Columbus, Sipp. These migration ties still maintain today despite the differences in political themes of said states.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:53 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
On that subject, it is a fact that many Mississippians were NOT born elsewhere. So given the fact that Mississippi used to be a Democratic stronghold, a lot of multi-generational Mississippians are Democrat to this day. About half my extended family falls into that category.
Democrats don't equal liberal or progressive necessarily. And definitely not progressive. Those black democrats in Mississippi are conservative voters who go to church and look twice at gay people.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:04 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 1 day ago)

5,782 posts, read 3,561,767 times
Annie's right. Democrat doesn't really mean liberal, because the Democrats have to cater to a lot of different factions.

A much more accurate measure of an area's "liberalism", "leftism", whatever you care to call it is to look at the precinct-by-precinct votes for either

(a) Green Party candidate for president (that party makes even Obama look like George W Bush)
(b) some ballot initiative about some inflammatory hot-button issue.

It's been a loooong time ago since I did this, but by my standard Mississippi's most "leftist" non-big-college areas are Jackson's Fondren-Belhaven area and Bay St. Louis. But even these areas are only centrist by national standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi