Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 05:41 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,070 times

Advertisements

https://www.djournal.com/mbj/downtow..._t2sBC2UhkstIw

The downtown Marriott is closing due to COVID. Although an older hotel, it is in a great location and its loss will be a big blow to downtown. I booked several meetings there in the early/mid 2000s and the staff was always accommodating and the facilities (at the time) were nice.

I'm very concerned that the long term effects of COVID are going to have a significant negative impact on fledgling, midsize downtowns like Jxn (which is/was poised for a mini revitalization).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 08:23 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
No worse than anywhere else. Been to NYC lately? Totally dead. At worst, Jackson Metro is going to continue the trend that it had already started, which is going to be further movement from the downtown core. Nobody wants to deal with that right now.

And you're right, it was poised, because it's about 20 years behind Memphis and Birmingham, generally. But now, all that revitalization appears futile, as people want out of downtowns again.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:06 PM

69 posts, read 70,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
No worse than anywhere else. Been to NYC lately? Totally dead. At worst, Jackson Metro is going to continue the trend that it had already started, which is going to be further movement from the downtown core. Nobody wants to deal with that right now.

And you're right, it was poised, because it's about 20 years behind Memphis and Birmingham, generally. But now, all that revitalization appears futile, as people want out of downtowns again.
Tell that to the people who are building luxury condos at the old South Central Bell/AT&T HQ in downtown Birmingham. People are just reacting out of fear at the moment; this is not a sign of some coming trend that sends people back to suburbia. I expect this pandemic to be over by Summer 2021 and people will be flocking in droves downtown again. Millennials and Gen Z (yes Gen Z are college age now believe it or not) don't want to live in quiet suburbs 20 minutes from downtown. We want to be where the action and nightlife are. I love getting away from Samford sometimes and heading down to Five Points or Lakeview at night. I really first became acquainted with Jackson about a year ago when I stayed with my cousin who lives in Newton for about a week and we went to the Outlets in Pearl and she kinda gave me a tour of the city of Jackson. The town struck me as dead... dead as a doorknob and there was nothing I saw to signal it was going to enter the kind of revival Memphis and Birmingham are enjoying any time soon. Is it still true that there isn't a movie theatre in Jackson proper? A town of 165,000 people and no theatre anywhere?

Old 10-29-2020, 12:22 PM

I'm only commenting on this subject as it pertains to downtown Jackson, MS.

I believe there are more pandemics in our near future. Above all politicians want to control, now that they have experienced how easy it has been to control the populace over a virus that only has a minor impact on 99% of the healthy population, more pandemics will come down the pike. I'm not inferring that COVID-19 was developed to be a pandemic or for any political purpose.

Yes this pandemic will end, but employers have seen that employees can be productive from home and save the organization rent, utilities, security, etc. Over the next few years as downtown leases come due, I wouldn't be surprised to see much less spaced leased. Jackson already has a former office building completely shut down as well as entire floors in others unoccupied. Unfortunately Jackson doesn't have much to offer in downtown nightlife, entertainment or dining, so there is little draw.

There was a movie theater planned for The District but it didn't get off the ground.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:45 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
https://www.djournal.com/mbj/downtow..._t2sBC2UhkstIw

The downtown Marriott is closing due to COVID. Although an older hotel, it is in a great location and its loss will be a big blow to downtown. I booked several meetings there in the early/mid 2000s and the staff was always accommodating and the facilities (at the time) were nice.

I'm very concerned that the long term effects of COVID are going to have a significant negative impact on fledgling, midsize downtowns like Jxn (which is/was poised for a mini revitalization).
Was it closed because its patrons were in danger of catching Covid, or because of lack of business?

Old 10-29-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Was it closed because its patrons were in danger of catching Covid, or because of lack of business?
RD, Im assuming due to a lack of business travelers. COVID is likely the biggest contributor to less business travelers in Jxn. They probably didn't have enough patrons to worry about them catching the 'Rona.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:15 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmullen99 View Post
Tell that to the people who are building luxury condos at the old South Central Bell/AT&T HQ in downtown Birmingham. People are just reacting out of fear at the moment; this is not a sign of some coming trend that sends people back to suburbia. I expect this pandemic to be over by Summer 2021 and people will be flocking in droves downtown again. Millennials and Gen Z (yes Gen Z are college age now believe it or not) don't want to live in quiet suburbs 20 minutes from downtown. We want to be where the action and nightlife are. I love getting away from Samford sometimes and heading down to Five Points or Lakeview at night. I really first became acquainted with Jackson about a year ago when I stayed with my cousin who lives in Newton for about a week and we went to the Outlets in Pearl and she kinda gave me a tour of the city of Jackson. The town struck me as dead... dead as a doorknob and there was nothing I saw to signal it was going to enter the kind of revival Memphis and Birmingham are enjoying any time soon. Is it still true that there isn't a movie theatre in Jackson proper? A town of 165,000 people and no theatre anywhere?
Exactly. It was Birmingham 15-20 years ago.

Obviously Birmingham and Memphis are bigger and have more going on, so don't get your panties in a bunch. But Jackson (the metro) is still the center of business in Mississippi, thus there will always be some sort of heartbeat there.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:17 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Exactly. It was Birmingham 15-20 years ago.

Obviously Birmingham and Memphis are bigger and have more going on, so don't get your panties in a bunch. But Jackson (the metro) is still the center of business in Mississippi, thus there will always be some sort of heartbeat there.
Jackson has only been growing in one area, the suburbs. Downtown Jackson doesn't even compete with cities half its size. Baton Rogue and Montgomery are much healthier cities with viable downtowns.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:09 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,326,602 times
This hotel was closed temporary and has re-opened as the Jackson Downtown Convention Center Hotel by Marriot

Old 05-08-2021, 05:21 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmullen99 View Post
That is true. I cannot think of any other city in the country that is the relative size of Jackson with as bleak of a future as Jackson. Jackson is like Detroit from the 1990s and just stuck there.

I last visited Jackson from 2011 to 2014 when I was living in Meridian Mississippi. I hear things have only gotten worse for the city since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi