U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2020, 11:12 PM
 
973 posts, read 1,013,556 times
Reputation: 1943

Advertisements

https://www.clarionledger.com/electi...e/mississippi/

No surprises tonight as far as the 'Sip goes.

A ton of money was spent on Espy's campaign, that may have backfired being constantly bombarded by his ads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2020, 07:59 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,173 posts, read 3,515,853 times
Reputation: 2987
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
https://www.clarionledger.com/electi...e/mississippi/

No surprises tonight as far as the 'Sip goes.

A ton of money was spent on Espy's campaign, that may have backfired being constantly bombarded by his ads.
That's your analysis? Too many ads?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2020, 08:57 PM
 
973 posts, read 1,013,556 times
Reputation: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
That's your analysis? Too many ads?
Haha, being a little facetious. The democrats spent a ton of money on that race and he did worse than last time against the worst candidate imaginable. Obviously 2018 wasn't a presidential election.

He out spent her 4 to 1 from July to September and ratcheted up the spending in the home stretch. It would be interesting to know what the democrats saw at the national level to lead them to pour that much money into this race. He would likely have gotten close to the same amount of votes had he not run any ads.

I knew he wouldn't win, but thought he would keep it closer, especially with her running so few ads and not going negative until the last week.

It would have been interesting to have seen what Jim Hood could have done in that race.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2020, 11:05 AM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,173 posts, read 3,515,853 times
Reputation: 2987
There was a lot of polling in the lead up, showing them running neck and neck.

Someone lied. Or those polls were very flawed. Or both.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2020, 02:03 PM
 
13,964 posts, read 20,169,994 times
Reputation: 23427
The medical marijuana bill was a given I think. We had a post in "neighborhood" site were a wife of a doctor was asking in not be passed because then her husband would have to start doing the unheard of job of prescribing marijuana. She pretty much got laughed out of the site, with half of them saying why then are doctors prescribing so many opiates, the other half just saying "cry me a river, do your damn job".

The flag - I think at this point MS residents don't give a crap. It's like "yeah, that's fine, move on to another topic already"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2020, 02:14 PM
 
973 posts, read 1,013,556 times
Reputation: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

The flag - I think at this point MS residents don't give a crap. It's like "yeah, that's fine, move on to another topic already"
Concur, I don't like the way it looks, but voted for it because I was tired of hearing about it and just don't think it warrants much energy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2020, 02:34 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
18,599 posts, read 10,903,130 times
Reputation: 26070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The medical marijuana bill was a given I think. We had a post in "neighborhood" site were a wife of a doctor was asking in not be passed because then her husband would have to start doing the unheard of job of prescribing marijuana. She pretty much got laughed out of the site, with half of them saying why then are doctors prescribing so many opiates, the other half just saying "cry me a river, do your damn job"...................
A point on that subject:
A federal court decision found that while a prescription for cannabis is unlawful, a recommendation is allowed. A recommendation is not considered an order, but a communication between doctor and patient on benefits and harms. As such, states can step in to establish protections for patients who receive recommendations, along with a regulatory framework for the production and distribution of cannabis.

No doctor will be required to prescribe marijuana and no doctor will be required to recommend it.
IMO, there will be darn few cases where marijuana is actually needed. There will be a lot more usage, though, since the government has sanctioned its use, thereby signaling to potential users that it is harmless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2020, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
2,011 posts, read 1,108,658 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
https://www.clarionledger.com/electi...e/mississippi/

No surprises tonight as far as the 'Sip goes.

A ton of money was spent on Espy's campaign, that may have backfired being constantly bombarded by his ads.
I disagree with your analysis respectfully and I'll say it's more or less riding the trump band wagon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2020, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
2,011 posts, read 1,108,658 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Haha, being a little facetious. The democrats spent a ton of money on that race and he did worse than last time against the worst candidate imaginable. Obviously 2018 wasn't a presidential election.

He out spent her 4 to 1 from July to September and ratcheted up the spending in the home stretch. It would be interesting to know what the democrats saw at the national level to lead them to pour that much money into this race. He would likely have gotten close to the same amount of votes had he not run any ads.

I knew he wouldn't win, but thought he would keep it closer, especially with her running so few ads and not going negative until the last week.

It would have been interesting to have seen what Jim Hood could have done in that race.
Actually , he got more votes this time but Cindy had a huge gain than her 2018 votes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2020, 11:16 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
18,599 posts, read 10,903,130 times
Reputation: 26070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I disagree with your analysis respectfully and I'll say it's more or less riding the trump band wagon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Actually , he got more votes this time but Cindy had a huge gain than her 2018 votes.
I hadn't thought to look it up until you pointed it out, but Cindy/Mike vote was 56%/42% and the Trump/Biden vote was 59.7%/38.8%, so it looks like you are right. It would take a special sort of Democrat to punch through and win.

I really don't think there are all that many crossover voters. It is a matter of motivating people to vote; they either vote or they do not vote, but they stay "in their lane", so to speak.


I am so glad that our state is not involved in any sort of fraud accusation. Seems like the vote was well handled here. We didn't have to wait at all, but we're retired and chose our time carefully (2PM).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top