U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 09:44 AM

17,224 posts, read 19,945,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbritt098765 View Post
If your mask works I shouldn't need one right?

Masks do very little to protect the wearer, what they do is prevent plague carriers from getting their diseased spittle on everyone within striking range.

The other thing they do in all likelihood is reduce the infection rate which in turn ends lockdowns, opens schools, and opens my job and everyone elses, and gets us back on track to normalcy.

Masks have been recommended, if not mandated, for how long now and you still don't know how they work or why they should be worn? You must be in some kind of bubble.

Anyway, those vaccines can't come out fast enough, because despite the very simple task of wearing one when you are at the store, and the basic respect for your fellow Americans that recommends their usage, some fools just can't be taught.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 10:08 AM

94 posts, read 26,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Masks do very little to protect the wearer, what they do is prevent plague carriers from getting their diseased spittle on everyone within striking range.

The other thing they do in all likelihood is reduce the infection rate which in turn ends lockdowns, opens schools, and opens my job and everyone elses, and gets us back on track to normalcy.

Masks have been recommended, if not mandated, for how long now and you still don't know how they work or why they should be worn? You must be in some kind of bubble.

Anyway, those vaccines can't come out fast enough, because despite the very simple task of wearing one when you are at the store, and the basic respect for your fellow Americans that recommends their usage, some fools just can't be taught.
Still waiting one scientific research that says a single ply cotton masks makes any difference when not washed in a hospital commercial washing machine. From a bipartisan source.

Think of everything you touch in a single day. Do you wash your hands every time you touch something? Do you change out your gloves?

If you fear going out you have every right to stay indoors in your bubble. You can lockdown all you want. Covid isn't going anywhere. There will always be new viruses popping up. Might as well go ahead and stay in the rest of your life.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:04 AM

13,965 posts, read 20,173,821 times
Quote:
Still waiting one scientific research that says a single ply cotton masks makes any difference when not washed in a hospital commercial washing machine. From a bipartisan source.
Not that I think this will change your opinion, but the below article mentions not one, but several studies supporting masks (I think I counted six).

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent

I am sure you will claim it isn't bipartisan or whatever. But there you go....
Really dude, we don't want businesses closed, we don't want to end church services, we don't want to "cancel thanksgiving"...none of that crazy stuff you see up north. You keep on mentioning "lockdown" as if the choice is one extreme or the other. No, no one wants that here. But it's not that much effort to wear a mask when you walk into an indoor establishment, along with washing hands and staying a fair distance from people.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:57 PM

5,285 posts, read 3,009,933 times
Quote:
Yeah don't even attempt NC now. Before I was working remote we had an office downtown Raleigh and it looks like an episode of the walking dead now. Cooper has let BLM and antifa destroy the entire city. So many good businesses closed for good. Saw an an article where Asheville was going to attempt to collect reparations. Not happening. The large cities where the majority of people are from out of state are turning this state blue. I can't stand it. We voted Trump in and then we turn around and vote Cooper right back in. Makes a lot of sense.

I will be moving to a state without lock downs if I can find one. Would really like to stay in the South.
We have a mask mandate in Alabama, but it's not particularly intrusive. There is no shutdown of businesses nor will there be, according to our mayor. I belive masks do indeed help, but wearing one outside (e.g., while playing golf) isn't necessary at all. The whole Covid thing needs to be approached with reason, but it can't be ignored entirely.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:02 PM

5,285 posts, read 3,009,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Personally - and this is just me - if you are going to be close to me, I would just as soon you wear a mask.
I don't care why you wear it.
Agree. There's no need to take a chance. If you're so hard-headed to not wear one (when inside), then at least keep your distance.

Covid has turned into a political war and there's absolutely no reason that it should have. Trump did a good job with virus control, Cuomo did a terrible job. Just about anybody can see that. And if the vaccine announcements hadn't been withheld until a couple of days after the election for political purposes, Trump would have won.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:57 PM

94 posts, read 26,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not that I think this will change your opinion, but the below article mentions not one, but several studies supporting masks (I think I counted six).

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent

I am sure you will claim it isn't bipartisan or whatever. But there you go....
Really dude, we don't want businesses closed, we don't want to end church services, we don't want to "cancel thanksgiving"...none of that crazy stuff you see up north. You keep on mentioning "lockdown" as if the choice is one extreme or the other. No, no one wants that here. But it's not that much effort to wear a mask when you walk into an indoor establishment, along with washing hands and staying a fair distance from people.

I know you mean well but this coming from a university and specifically San Francisco, I don't trust the resource. Plus that is from June.

I have cousins that have went to University, never caring about politics at all before going, to come back and criticize their parents and relatives regarding their party affiliation. Seems like most universities don't teach kids to research and learn on their own. They just believe everything their professors say. This isn't directed at anyone. Just saying I have experienced it first hand that most people will believe the first thing that is shown to them.

Problem is there is so much more fake news now with the election how do you know what to trust? Why do you trust this particular resource?

Old 11-21-2020, 08:00 AM

6,606 posts, read 9,979,527 times
Quote:
Yeah don't even attempt NC now. Before I was working remote we had an office downtown Raleigh and it looks like an episode of the walking dead now. Cooper has let BLM and antifa destroy the entire city. So many good businesses closed for good. Saw an an article where Asheville was going to attempt to collect reparations. Not happening. The large cities where the majority of people are from out of state are turning this state blue. I can't stand it. We voted Trump in and then we turn around and vote Cooper right back in. Makes a lot of sense.

I will be moving to a state without lock downs if I can find one. Would really like to stay in the South.
Try Indiana, Mike Pence's home State. Ironically also the home state of Mayor Pete Buttigieg, and adopted home state of new Supreme Court Justice Amy Cony Barrette.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:03 AM

6,606 posts, read 9,979,527 times
Quote:

Think of everything you touch in a single day. Do you wash your hands every time you touch something? Do you change out your gloves?

If you fear going out you have every right to stay indoors in your bubble. You can lockdown all you want. Covid isn't going anywhere. There will always be new viruses popping up. Might as well go ahead and stay in the rest of your life.
You realize people are beginning to die because they cannot get into hospitals because the hospitals are full of covid patients? How sad is it you can die because of Covid and never have had Covid?

Old 11-22-2020, 09:18 PM

553 posts, read 627,142 times
We definitely won't miss this person in NC. Sorry, Mississippi...

Old 11-23-2020, 03:14 AM

135 posts, read 78,610 times
I don't really get why Republicans have a problem with the masks. And I've been a lifelong Republican myself.

The prevention measures will probably save hundreds of thousands of lives, maybe more than a million. Somehow the prevention issue became an anti-government thing, but I would think all Americans would want to do their part to help.

Trump knew for weeks that the pandemic was coming and ordered government leaders to play it down, even threatening to fire scientists who attempted to warn the public.

It appears that Trump didn't want the stock market to get spooked, because he sees the market numbers as a reflection of his greatness and thus important for the campaign. But he blew up his own reelection because apparently about 15% of white women, in disbelief over Trump's dismissive behavior in regards to the pandemic, changed over to Biden.

In Korea and Taiwan, leaders began working on virus testing, strategies using hospital admission data to identify the potentially infected, and closing borders literally on the first day of hearing about the virus. And they have among the lowest virus rates in the world, despite being next-door neighbors to China.

I suspect that if Trump had helped spare us from the virus by closing state borders, (to keep the virus mainly in New York and New Orleans at the beginning), and gotten the virus tests ready quickly, the economic shutdowns would have never been needed in the first place. In other words, Republican voters are blaming the wrong people for the shut-downs; they occurred because Trump didn't act to contain the virus before it started spreading across the country.

This was always the risk of having an amoral used-car salesmen as president (no offense to used car salesmen). Eventually it was all going to blow up, and it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi