Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 08:41 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to see Mississippi make a progressive move and redesign their flag, even though Georgia did the same thing 20ish years ago. Mississippians appear to be incredibly averse to change or progress. This flag was a huge step in the right direction. I know most African Americans are happier with the new flag, especially in Mississippi, the state with the highest percentage of blacks in the country. Hopefully the 2020s will be better to the state than the previous decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 09:30 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's interesting to see Mississippi make a progressive move and redesign their flag, even though Georgia did the same thing 20ish years ago. Mississippians appear to be incredibly averse to change or progress. This flag was a huge step in the right direction. I know most African Americans are happier with the new flag, especially in Mississippi, the state with the highest percentage of blacks in the country. Hopefully the 2020s will be better to the state than the previous decade.
Once again you prove that you out of state people don't understand MS. Hey maybe I don't either, I am a transplant and only lived here for 15 years (that's not a cynical statement, I don't consider myself a native).
The vote on the new design was not "progressive" in any way as it simply asked the voters "hey do you like this boring magnolia design, yes or no". I think if you want an example of a "progressive" vote it is regarding legalization of medical marijuana. Not living in MS, you didn't realize that.
The african-american community has improved much in the last ten years in terms of standard of living and unemployment, at least until COVID. So you got that wrong as well. They have a long way to go, but the problems with MS are deeper and more complex than can be addressed by a piece of cloth.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:08 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
I'm not a Mississippian, and my only "connection" with the state comes from driving through it a couple of times. So, take what I say for what it's worth. I've long thought that any decisions to be made regarding the state flag should be made by the people of Mississippi, and everyone else should just butt out. (This is also how I feel about Confederate monuments and pretty much anything else that is the business of the people who live in the affected area, and not anyone else.)

Well, the people have spoken, and Mississippi has a new flag. So, having nothing to do with my opinion of the former or new flag, I support the fact that the people of the state have chosen their new flag.

Now, as for the flag itself, I much prefer the new one. I think it looks really nice and in fact I would say it's definitely one of the better state flags in this country. Kudos to the designers, and kudos to the people who chose it.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Once again you prove that you out of state people don't understand MS. Hey maybe I don't either, I am a transplant and only lived here for 15 years (that's not a cynical statement, I don't consider myself a native).
The vote on the new design was not "progressive" in any way as it simply asked the voters "hey do you like this boring magnolia design, yes or no". I think if you want an example of a "progressive" vote it is regarding legalization of medical marijuana. Not living in MS, you didn't realize that.
The african-american community has improved much in the last ten years in terms of standard of living and unemployment, at least until COVID. So you got that wrong as well. They have a long way to go, but the problems with MS are deeper and more complex than can be addressed by a piece of cloth.

Things have improved for African Americans in Mississppi? Really? Any evidence?

That old state flag was not helping the state at all. And the fact that the old flag was instituted in 1894 also says it was not the original flag. Why are so hung up on a flag that was introduced after the civil war? You should look up the original Magnolia flag Mississippi had before the stars and bars redesign. Ran from 1861 to 1894. The stars and bars came out in the Jim Crowe era. You really think that was a good move or good flag? It speaks to the times.

Additionally, Georgia recognized the need for a new flag and look at where they are at today compared with Mississippi. The stars and bars has had a highly unfavorable view from most Americans for a long time because of what it represented. You don't need to be a native to understand that, and that it was not helping the state's image. No one complains about Georgia's flag now, but I bet some people including major corporations did prior.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Things have improved for African Americans in Mississppi? Really? Any evidence?

That old state flag was not helping the state at all. And the fact that the old flag was instituted in 1894 also says it was not the original flag. Why are so hung up on a flag that was introduced after the civil war? You should look up the original Magnolia flag Mississippi had before the stars and bars redesign. Ran from 1861 to 1894. The stars and bars came out in the Jim Crowe era. You really think that was a good move or good flag? It speaks to the times.

Additionally, Georgia recognized the need for a new flag and look at where they are at today compared with Mississippi. The stars and bars has had a highly unfavorable view from most Americans for a long time because of what it represented. You don't need to be a native to understand that, and that it was not helping the state's image. No one complains about Georgia's flag now, but I bet some people including major corporations did prior.
You seem to be on a different topic. The old state flag was not on the ballot in the election, that had already been eliminated earlier in 2020. Refer to post #43 I think it is. If you were eligible to vote as a resident of MS, you would have know that.

For your first question, I am not going to dive into the bevy of statistics available, all of which can be manipulated. But on I will offer is BOL labor statistics on unemployment between pre-recession Q4 2007 and Q1 2019 summarized in the below link, which if you click MS shows a 2.1% decrease in black unemployment rates in MS between those two periods. Certainly if we compared recession period 2009 to per-covid 2019 it would be an even dramatically greater improvement, but that would not really be a fair comparison.
https://www.epi.org/indicators/state...icity-2019-q1/

Old 05-10-2021, 02:03 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
To try and put the symbolism into a smaller perspective...

Let's say a husband cheated on his wife by having a long term mistress. He had a big fight with his wife, and in the end the wife won the fight and the husband agreed to end the affair. Afterwards he still treated the wife pretty crappy but at least didn't have a mistress again. And finally in the last year or two he has been actually trying to treat the wife as an equal partner in the marriage.

But he keeps a picture of the mistress displayed in his office.

Why?

Last edited by redguard57; 05-10-2021 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-10-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
You seem to be on a different topic. The old state flag was not on the ballot in the election, that had already been eliminated earlier in 2020. Refer to post #43 I think it is. If you were eligible to vote as a resident of MS, you would have know that.

For your first question, I am not going to dive into the bevy of statistics available, all of which can be manipulated. But on I will offer is BOL labor statistics on unemployment between pre-recession Q4 2007 and Q1 2019 summarized in the below link, which if you click MS shows a 2.1% decrease in black unemployment rates in MS between those two periods. Certainly if we compared recession period 2009 to per-covid 2019 it would be an even dramatically greater improvement, but that would not really be a fair comparison.
https://www.epi.org/indicators/state...icity-2019-q1/
You seem dismayed the old state flag was not on the ballot. Why would that be?

Old 05-10-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
To try and put the symbolism into a smaller perspective...

Let's say a husband cheated on his wife by having a long term mistress. He had a big fight with his wife, and in the end the wife won the fight and the husband agreed to end the affair. Afterwards he still treated the wife pretty crappy but at least didn't have a mistress again. And finally in the last year or two he has been actually trying to treat the wife as an equal partner in the marriage.

But he keeps a picture of the mistress displayed in his office.

Why?
Great analogy. The past needs to be the past, put it in a museum if you must.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
You seem dismayed the old state flag was not on the ballot. Why would that be?
LOL. I offered absolutely ZERO comment on the nature of the old state flag. Zilch.
The old state flag could not be part of the ballot, as I already mentioned. Are you that misinformed about MS? But there were at least 3 primary candidate designs. Actually I voted "yes" on the magnolia flag. Your comment and presumption is strange - Why would that be?

Are you here to offer anything relevant to this topic, as a poorly informed non-state resident? Comments are great, everyone is welcome in my opinion, but if you pretend to know what you are talking about and make specific comments on it, and really know nothing, then you offer nothing.

Last edited by Dd714; 05-10-2021 at 04:16 PM..

Old 05-10-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
LOL. I offered absolutely ZERO comment on the nature of the old state flag. Zilch.
The old state flag could not be part of the ballot, as I already mentioned. Are you that misinformed about MS? But there were at least 3 primary candidate designs. Actually I voted "yes" on the magnolia flag. Your comment and presumption is strange - Why would that be?

Are you here to offer anything relevant to this topic, as a poorly informed non-state resident? Comments are great, everyone is welcome in my opinion, but if you pretend to know what you are talking about and make specific comments on it, and really know nothing, then you offer nothing.
What am I misinformed about? The old state flag was racist, the new one is better in every way. I know the old state flag was not on the ballot. As a former resident of the state I gave my opinion, as the opening post asks, "Do you guys like the new flag?" You seem offended that someone who moved out of the state has an opinion on Mississippi and its flag. Why is that?

Last edited by ColdAilment; 05-10-2021 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi