U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2021, 10:10 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
18,738 posts, read 11,063,312 times
Reputation: 26419

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
I feel like this would be best for retirees, right?
Great place for retirees or someone who is able to work from home. But especially so if you are drawn to older homes with tropical type landscaping and gardening.
History buffs will not be bored.
Those who require an active social calendar outside their own neighborhood probably would not like Natchez.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2021, 10:59 AM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,179 posts, read 3,542,360 times
Reputation: 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Great place for retirees or someone who is able to work from home. But especially so if you are drawn to older homes with tropical type landscaping and gardening.
History buffs will not be bored.
Those who require an active social calendar outside their own neighborhood probably would not like Natchez.
Retirees don't have to be dead. Because Natchez is just a really small, dead town, with nothing to offer. No attractions other than "antebellum" homes and Lost Cause folks dressing up in hoop skirts. Wouldn't that bore someone used to a more active lifestyle?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2021, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,382 posts, read 1,017,193 times
Reputation: 2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You really don't have to worry about any of that happening in Natchez, MS. 10, 20, 50 years from now, it will be essentially the same as today. There is no growth happening in small town mississippi, and no plans or desire to encourage growth.
The Mayor is paying people to move there. Sounds like encouraging growth to me. I guess you missed, you know, the ORIGINAL POST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Retirees don't have to be dead. Because Natchez is just a really small, dead town, with nothing to offer. No attractions other than "antebellum" homes and Lost Cause folks dressing up in hoop skirts. Wouldn't that bore someone used to a more active lifestyle?
You could start asking what YOU can do for your community, rather than only what it can do for you.

Just a tip.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2021, 09:52 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,179 posts, read 3,542,360 times
Reputation: 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
The Mayor is paying people to move there. Sounds like encouraging growth to me. I guess you missed, you know, the ORIGINAL POST.
No, that's desperation.

Quote:
You could start asking what YOU can do for your community, rather than only what it can do for you.

Just a tip.
Natchez is not my community, I would never in a million years (or a million payments) move there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2021, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,382 posts, read 1,017,193 times
Reputation: 2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No, that's desperation.
Doesn't matter, they are trying. Desperate or not. Your post was off-base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Natchez is not my community, I would never in a million years (or a million payments) move there.
Again, doesn't matter, the advice would still apply to you. And if people want to move to Natchez to help it out, great. Just because you think it has nothing to offer, doesn't make that 'nothing' valuable to someone else. Instead of saying "nothing", why not just list the things it doesn't have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:24 AM
Status: "Cancun Cruz!!" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,672 posts, read 2,590,858 times
Reputation: 4514
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
I feel like this would be best for retirees, right?
Even this much would come with disadvantages. Remoteness from highest-grade health care (if you need it) is one of them. Natchez remote from interstate highways, although there is a four-lane non-interstate route to Baton Rouge (90 miles away). Alexandria, LA is somewhat closer (about 70 miles), but it's mostly two-lane, some of it going through about 10 to 20 miles of road built above a marsh/swamp. Plus, "Alec" isn't nearly as big. If you're needing quick high-level health care, that's a significant disadvantage there.

Amenities. I will assume retirees will know that small cities generally have few amenities, and thus see this a fair trade-off. Natchez may have some small local theater group that puts on small productions, and maybe an occasionally performing musical acts, but almost certainly not more than that.

All that said, it is a charming place for people who are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of big city life. Just know what its pros and cons are, and make your choice from there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top