Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 01:45 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times

Advertisements

https://www.wapt.com/article/city-of...B1t5sokzQLwJJI

Not a bad idea. What else can they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 03:37 PM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Natchez is a wonderful place! We have been there several times and will probably visit a few more times, too.

But you do need to bring your own job or your own money. The river provides almost no economical support, the freeways have bypassed it and local industry has simply dried up.
In 1860 Natchez was the second richest city in America after New York.

We have actually talked about moving there, but it's just conversation..... at this point.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
https://www.wapt.com/article/city-of...B1t5sokzQLwJJI

Not a bad idea. What else can they do?
Natchez is neat little town and I like to visit, but surrounded by poverty and in the middle of nowhere. Best of luck to them, glad someone is trying something.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:17 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Natchez is neat little town and I like to visit, but surrounded by poverty and in the middle of nowhere. Best of luck to them, glad someone is trying something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Natchez is a wonderful place! We have been there several times and will probably visit a few more times, too.

But you do need to bring your own job or your own money. The river provides almost no economical support, the freeways have bypassed it and local industry has simply dried up.
In 1860 Natchez was the second richest city in America after New York.

We have actually talked about moving there, but it's just conversation..... at this point.
Reminds of Santa Barbara in California. Beautiful place, but no economy.

I wonder if small businesses and local industry comes back if Natchez will prosper. Either way it is the most "antebellum" place in the south.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:31 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Reminds of Santa Barbara in California. Beautiful place, but no economy.

I wonder if small businesses and local industry comes back if Natchez will prosper. Either way it is the most "antebellum" place in the south.
I mean, yeah. Wouldn't any town?

Old 02-07-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I mean, yeah. Wouldn't any town?
Well I mean would it prosper, or would it turn into a population magnet, and real-estate developers move in and build high-rises.

That would ruin the charm of Natchez. I was wondering what the chances were that stable small businesses and industries move in that provides jobs, but don't turn it into another tech hub or something.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:12 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Well I mean would it prosper, or would it turn into a population magnet, and real-estate developers move in and build high-rises.

That would ruin the charm of Natchez. I was wondering what the chances were that stable small businesses and industries move in that provides jobs, but don't turn it into another tech hub or something.
You really don't have to worry about any of that happening in Natchez, MS. 10, 20, 50 years from now, it will be essentially the same as today. There is no growth happening in small town mississippi, and no plans or desire to encourage growth.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:05 PM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You really don't have to worry about any of that happening in Natchez, MS. 10, 20, 50 years from now, it will be essentially the same as today. There is no growth happening in small town mississippi, and no plans or desire to encourage growth.
Most small towns can "desire" all they want, but almost none of them have anything to offer.
Natchez is not going to grow. The best they can hope for is to mitigate the population loss, and they will probably fail at that.
It really doesn't have anything to do with Natchez, per se. They can offer tax breaks and reduced utilities but all small towns can do that.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Most small towns can "desire" all they want, but almost none of them have anything to offer.
Natchez is not going to grow. The best they can hope for is to mitigate the population loss, and they will probably fail at that.
It really doesn't have anything to do with Natchez, per se. They can offer tax breaks and reduced utilities but all small towns can do that.
It's funny, Natchez is the first town in the south I learned about in School, and I was pleasantly surprised to see how well preserved it is.

Most American cities are horrendously ugly, Mississippi should value Natchez as the crown jewel of their state, they are lucky to have it.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:44 PM

899 posts, read 517,274 times
I feel like this would be best for retirees, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: