U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 02:26 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,617,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Women who are only qualified to work for $7.25 have no business bringing children into the world. Didn't they know that raising children is expensive?
I don't know the circumstances that resulted in their situation. But I do know that they're in it now, and barking about what they should have done is pointless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 03:36 PM

19,120 posts, read 11,484,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I don't know the circumstances that resulted in their situation. But I do know that they're in it now, and barking about what they should have done is pointless.
Well, not really. It may send a message to other childless women. The message is, if you cannot take care of children, then take steps to not have them just yet.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:08 AM

2,719 posts, read 1,419,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Cool. I'm definitely envious of all the money made so far on digital currency, but am I the only person to realize that The Next Best Thing will eventually replace The Current Best Thing? If not, we'd all still be using Windows 1.0. Either someone (maybe AI) will eventually be able to hack Bitcoin, (or whatever), making it obsolete, or someone will invent something better, again making it obsolete. Nothing in the digital world invented thus far (except binary code) has gone for more than a few years, has it?

Please excuse me now, I have to check my MySpace account, I've been waiting on a response for a while now from a guy I was trolling for still using Friendster.
Bitcoin and crypto havent even started and it's literally impossible to hack.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:33 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,617,699 times
Quote:
Well, not really. It may send a message to other childless women. The message is, if you cannot take care of children, then take steps to not have them just yet.
How does that "send a message" stance work in other places, like India? What makes you think it would work here?

Show me a society where cruelty to those in need is practiced and resulted in a better Society.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:44 AM

3,162 posts, read 1,158,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Bitcoin and crypto havent even started and it's literally impossible to hack.
That's what Germany thought in WWII about its Enigma Code.

Maybe Bitcoin can't be cracked with today's technology. But what about 2030 technology? But by then, somebody will have created a new crypto currency that can't be hacked by 2030 technology.

My point is that Bitcoin isn't worth the stratospheric prices it's trading at currently, because it's "temporary", due to advances in technology. Something even better is likely already in the pipeline.

Old 05-15-2021, 03:00 PM

788 posts, read 833,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
That's what Germany thought in WWII about its Enigma Code.

Maybe Bitcoin can't be cracked with today's technology. But what about 2030 technology? But by then, somebody will have created a new crypto currency that can't be hacked by 2030 technology.

My point is that Bitcoin isn't worth the stratospheric prices it's trading at currently, because it's "temporary", due to advances in technology. Something even better is likely already in the pipeline.
correct and it's only an amount of time before the feds regulate it

Old 05-21-2021, 10:25 AM

2,919 posts, read 4,387,385 times
Quote:
During Biblical times the punishment for out-of-wedlock pregnancies was death, and they still happened. And you think the potential of being stuck in a $7.25 job "sends a message"?

Or, are you saying you are in favor of:
  • Easy access to family planning information;
  • Easy access to birth control;
  • Easy access to medical experts who can answer questions about reproduction;
  • Full police and medical assistance in the case of rape or incest ("Plan B" pills);
  • Easy access to a real education so poor women are not reduced to being dependent on a man for support?

Back on topic, I fully agree that the boost to unemployment should be cut back or eliminated. Employers are desperate. My kid just walked into a job at Zaxby's, starting at $11/hour + free food. Went through the drive-through to pick up an order, "Are you hiring?" "Yes, can you start tomorrow?"

That free food part is going to be worth more than the pay, considering he's a sports-playing teenage male.

I also agree that a $15 minimum wage is overkill for rural Mississippi, but the federal minimum wage does need to be raised. I would support a $10-12 minimum wage (which is where it should be based on normal inflation adjustments) with higher local minimum wages as required in some states and cities.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:26 AM

19,120 posts, read 11,484,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
During Biblical times the punishment for out-of-wedlock pregnancies was death, and they still happened. And you think the potential of being stuck in a $7.25 job "sends a message"?
Yes. I do. I thought I made that clear. Punishment for out of wedlock babies and their unqualified mothers is usually a lifetime of poverty. As a result the teen pregnancy rate has fallen. See this chart for comparisons since 1991.

Whether or not someone - anyone - is "stuck in a $7.25 job" is up to them, not me.

At any rate the federal income transfer program, where money is taken from the working and transferred to the non working, is coming to an end along with the pandemic. And I am glad.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:22 PM

6,660 posts, read 10,236,706 times
Quote:
Yes. I do. I thought I made that clear. Punishment for out of wedlock babies and their unqualified mothers is usually a lifetime of poverty. As a result the teen pregnancy rate has fallen. See this chart for comparisons since 1991.

Whether or not someone - anyone - is "stuck in a $7.25 job" is up to them, not me.

At any rate the federal income transfer program, where money is taken from the working and transferred to the non working, is coming to an end along with the pandemic. And I am glad.

Let's commit women to a lifetime of poverty for poor decisions made in their youth, with no way out. That really helps the country. Oh, and let's not treat men to the same slave wages. You sound like a Mississippi elected official, determined to keep your state from progressing.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:34 PM

2,919 posts, read 4,387,385 times
Quote:
At any rate the federal income transfer program, where money is taken from the working and transferred to the non working, is coming to an end along with the pandemic. And I am glad
While I agree that it's time for the unemployment boost to end, it was absolutely necessary during the heart of the pandemic. I have plenty of friends and relatives who were forced out of work for months with no options for employment. None. Zero. Now all are fully employed again, with the smart ones also fully vaccinated. I don't personally know anyone who is still choosing to stay home and collect unemployment, but I'm sure a few of them exist.

Personally a few divisions of my company all but shut down. My group deals mainly with maintenance, and several of our clients took advantage of the shutdown to do lots of maintenance, so I was able to borrow several people from the out-of-work divisions and keep them busy. But as a whole my company was ultimately forced to lay some people off, and we almost never do that. These are hard-working well-educated people suddenly out of work in a pandemic. But I guess in your mind non-workers are non-workers and all deserve what they get.

Quote:
Teen pregnancy, unless followed by a forced marriage to a man who could care for her and the baby, has always been punished by a lifetime of poverty. The reason teen pregnancy rates are falling recently is because of better access to sex education and birth control (in spite of the best efforts of most MS politicians to eliminate both), not threats of a lifetime of below-poverty minimum-wage jobs. Few teens bother to think about their potential pay rates 30 years in the future on a good day, and definitely not in the back of a car with hormones raging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi