Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 03:56 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Mississippi has joining several other states in opting out of federal unemployment benefits. It is generally agreed that people will respond by going back to work.
The program was necessary as people were laid off during the pandemic, because there were simply no jobs to be had. Thankfully, things are better now.
https://www.wtva.com/content/news/Mi...574391341.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 11:23 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
It really was needed - At this point, in NW MS near Memphis, there is actually a labor shortage and their is a surplus of jobs available that remain unfilled.
Restaurants and shops can't find people to work. Particular with MS low salaries (with also the low cost of living), these larger benefits gave an incentive not to work.

The last federal jobs report also was a disaster, they were expecting 1 million to join the work force. It only increased 266K.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:23 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Businesses that paid well weren't complaining. Only restaurants that pay people at minimum wage and below. Screw those guys. I don't need my burgers flipped so badly that I want someone to have to work 3 jobs for my benefit. I can do without.

And no help offered for women who have school aged children with remote schooling. Who is gonna watch them at home? How is that caregiver getting paid, when the mom is getting 7.25 an hour?

I know, not your problem. Just get back to work, dammit!

Old 05-13-2021, 08:39 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Ironic how the very folks who always prattle on about their 'Freedom', are often the same ones who wanna 'coerce' everyone else into becoming 'just like them'.... re: religion, politics, race, gender roles, pregnancy, jobs, wages, etc.... and pretty much every aspect of other peoples' lives?!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:26 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Businesses that paid well weren't complaining. Only restaurants that pay people at minimum wage and below. Screw those guys. I don't need my burgers flipped so badly that I want someone to have to work 3 jobs for my benefit. I can do without.

And no help offered for women who have school aged children with remote schooling. Who is gonna watch them at home? How is that caregiver getting paid, when the mom is getting 7.25 an hour?

Women who are only qualified to work for $7.25 have no business bringing children into the world. Didn't they know that raising children is expensive?

Old 05-13-2021, 06:45 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Hey, if you don't want to work, don't work...just don't expect people who DO work to pay you to sit on the sofa and eat cheezy poofs while playing on your phone. Don't want to make Grande Lattes? Improve your skillset and go for it - invent the next Bitcoin and destroy all the new millionaires who invested in the old, now-outdated Bitcoin. Welcome to Capitalism.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Hey, if you don't want to work, don't work...just don't expect people who DO work to pay you to sit on the sofa and eat cheezy poofs while playing on your phone. Don't want to make Grande Lattes? Improve your skillset and go for it - invent the next Bitcoin and destroy all the new millionaires who invested in the old, now-outdated Bitcoin. Welcome to Capitalism.
I like like, I'm all in on Dogecoin!

Old 05-13-2021, 07:57 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I like like, I'm all in on Dogecoin!
Cool. I'm definitely envious of all the money made so far on digital currency, but am I the only person to realize that The Next Best Thing will eventually replace The Current Best Thing? If not, we'd all still be using Windows 1.0. Either someone (maybe AI) will eventually be able to hack Bitcoin, (or whatever), making it obsolete, or someone will invent something better, again making it obsolete. Nothing in the digital world invented thus far (except binary code) has gone for more than a few years, has it?

Please excuse me now, I have to check my MySpace account, I've been waiting on a response for a while now from a guy I was trolling for still using Friendster.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:53 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

with mcdonald's saying they are going to increase their minimum wage to at least $13/hr it will make the others do the same thing.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I am sure this topic is being debated to death in the P&C forum, with all the political bias and spin that goes into it. So instead you have to put a MS spin on it, or those nutcases from P&C will venture here.

So....the thing with MS is we are blessed with low cost of living that balances out, somewhat, the low salaries. This ain't California, this ain't New England. Minimum wage is the same (although, yeah, some states mandate higher minimum wage). A dollar goes a long way here. The point is people aren't suffering as significantly with low wages compared to other areas. So that's one thing.

Another thing is unemployment is a serious issue in some poorer areas of the state. But they aren't impacted by the federal unemployment benefits anyway. Likely they didn't have a job before COVID. These extra benefits don't help them, in fact they hurt them because companies, striving to make a profit in the labor shortage markets (with no labor), don't have the capital to expand in these poorly developed labor rich markets. In MS, thus, these federal benefits are self-defeating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi