U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 08:17 PM

788 posts, read 830,289 times

Advertisements

https://www.wjtv.com/news/mississipp...GYmvhnFdOHo3p8
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 09:20 AM

19,115 posts, read 11,450,261 times
Important to understand why:
*Law says equal numbers of signatures must come from 5 districts. No more than 20% from each district. That makes it impossible for some "outlaw" district to impose its will on everyone else.

*But there are no longer 5 districts! 2000 census reduced Mississippi to 4 districts.
So now there is a mathematical conundrum. Four districts, each contributing "no more than 20%" of the vote, do not equal 100% of the votes!

I think it's all pretty funny. A bunch of lawyers in Jackson ambushed themselves and created a mess.
They'll probably re-write the law and try again in a few years.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:58 PM

788 posts, read 830,289 times
Shows how incompetent the state is. They had 20 years to fix the issue and Supreme Court only did their job.

Old 05-15-2021, 03:00 PM

492 posts, read 600,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Important to understand why:
*Law says equal numbers of signatures must come from 5 districts. No more than 20% from each district. That makes it impossible for some "outlaw" district to impose its will on everyone else.

*But there are no longer 5 districts! 2000 census reduced Mississippi to 4 districts.
So now there is a mathematical conundrum. Four districts, each contributing "no more than 20%" of the vote, do not equal 100% of the votes!

I think it's all pretty funny. A bunch of lawyers in Jackson ambushed themselves and created a mess.
NOW I get it! I've been staring at a newspaper article for 20 minutes like a mindless zombie. Mathematical conundrum indeed.

Old 05-15-2021, 03:16 PM

19,115 posts, read 11,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
NOW I get it! I've been staring at a newspaper article for 20 minutes like a mindless zombie. Mathematical conundrum indeed.
If it hadn't have been a bunch of lawyers who created such a hopeless puzzle, it wouldn't be so funny. But all those whiz kids, convinced that they are just the smartest people ever, got themselves stuck.
The sad part is, We The People, paid for both sides of the argument. So lawyers for the state and lawyers for the dope smokers duked it out and in the end the state defeated itself and sank to it knees while the dope smokers watched incredulously realizing that their dreams of endless legal euphoria have gone up in ..... smoke.

Old Today, 09:50 AM

2,911 posts, read 4,378,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I disagree. I think our lawmakers like the law exactly how it is; this way their pesky constituents can't meddle in the lawmaking process.

Mississippi law can continue to be controlled by donations from interest groups. If the special interests ask for an unpopular bill, it can be "spun" on talk-shows (controlled by the same special interests) until the people fall in line.

Like medical marijuana, long proven as a valid way to treat certain chronic conditions. It isn't a magical cure-all as some proponents claim, but under certain conditions and under a doctor's care it is a legitimate medical treatment. Similar with LSD, which multiple studies around the world show can have a major effect on mental illnesses such as chronic depression.

The current "spin" is the medical marijuana bill is a slippery-slope to a mythical world where life-long welfare recipients will be allowed to smoke free taxpayer-provided weed while everyone else has to work to pay for it. Where the proponents of this bill have dreams of "endless legal euphoria". None of this myth is based in reality in any way, but it's spun enough and repeated enough that people believe it.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; Today at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi