U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2021, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 895 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone, I may be relocating this summer to the Gulfport/Biloxi due to employment. I have only passed through so I don't know the area at all. I am looking to get an idea of what neighborhoods or suburbs to avoid, or what areas you recommend.

I work mostly from home, so I can live anywhere; if I do work outside of my home office, it can be anywhere the job dictates. I don't need to live in an upscale neighborhood, but don't want to be in a ghetto either. I'm a single male with no kids, so schools and shopping are not priorities. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 04:05 PM

6,501 posts, read 4,633,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 051873pi View Post
Greetings everyone, I may be relocating this summer to the Gulfport/Biloxi due to employment. I have only passed through so I don't know the area at all. I am looking to get an idea of what neighborhoods or suburbs to avoid, or what areas you recommend.

I work mostly from home, so I can live anywhere; if I do work outside of my home office, it can be anywhere the job dictates. I don't need to live in an upscale neighborhood, but don't want to be in a ghetto either. I'm a single male with no kids, so schools and shopping are not priorities. Thanks in advance.
Ocean Springs is next door to Biloxi and is a very nice town. If at all possible , live North of I-10, insurance will be somewhat cheaper.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:25 PM

8 posts, read 895 times
Thanks, I'll look into Ocean Springs. Any particular reason(s) you describe it as very nice?

Old 05-20-2021, 11:08 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,024,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 051873pi View Post

Go to You Tube and in the search box, type "Ocean Springs, Mississippi" and more than likely there will be several videos about Ocean Springs. You can also find many videos about Biloxi and Gulfport. At least you'll get some idea about how each city looks and what it might be like to live there.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:22 PM

17 posts, read 26,852 times
Dude, With all due respect, you got it made!

Old 05-23-2021, 06:36 AM

11 posts, read 17,948 times
Yep, took the words right out of my mouth about how nice Ocean Springs is, and has been for 100 yrs and it hasn't been infected by throngs of folks from the NE....yet.

I might also suggest Pass Christian, but all of the area is at risk for hurricanes, but at least you get plenty of warning! lol

Perhaps also Bay St Louis...maybe

Lots of NATIVE culture and Euro culture! history!

Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM

146 posts, read 95,996 times
For middle class, non-ghetto areas, you've got a lot of choices. Check bestneighborhood.org for maps by income, home prices, race/ethnicity and many other factors.

In Biloxi, I would recommend the neighborhoods along Popps Ferry Road just south of the bridge over the bay, as well as north between the bay and I-10. Examples that you can find on google maps are Carmague Lane, Pelican Bayou Drive, and Brentwood Drive. Further north of I-10, try Clear Springs Drive and Holly Springs Drive. The best suburban shopping area for convenience purposes is D'Iberville around the intersection of I-10 and I-110 just north of Biloxi. But Ocean Springs and Gulfport have all the usual suburban stores also.

In Ocean Springs, most anywhere is good except perhaps some of the neighborhoods close to the water that got wiped out in Katrina. Those are obvious because many of the lots are nothing but trees.. Downtown Ocean Springs and the community beach front is really nice and one of the nicest areas on the Coast. But there are many regular subdivisions with ranch homes. The pricey part is mainly the historic district and water front homes.

Long Beach is a very safe middle class town with amazing beach access. Merinda Avenue is an example. Long Beach has a little downtown Main Street that has a Mayberry feel to it and they do have a college there, right the beach front (USM).

Pass Christian is mainly beach front mansions and big bayfront homes on stilts, with some smaller homes dotting the area. Pass Christian is like a post card, with huge beach front and marina, but very quiet.

Bay St Louis has a buzzing downtown overlooking the bay and great beaches. Check Main Street on google maps. Bay St. Louis probably has the most character of all the cities and is attracting small hotels and restaurants in its downtown area. There are some big homes but many modest, older cottages.

Diamondhead is an affordable golf course community and town right off I-10, with a marina and close to beaches. Everything there is nice, clean, and fairly new... and houses are fairly modest and middle class (no mansions) but well kept. You can't go wrong with Diamondhead. It's an actual town but the entire area originally was built as a planned residential development, hence the cleanliness.

Gulfport is the largest city and has a pretty happening downtown that has recovered fairly well from Katrina. In Gulfport the safest neighborhoods are north of Pass Rd and east of the airport, straddling Bernard Bayou. On google maps examples are Old Oak Lane and Harrison Ave for newer and older streets. North of I-10 on either side of Hwy 49, a decent suburban area, examples of newer homes are Old Magnolia Court and Lake Village Drive. Once you get north of I-10, as you get further north from I-10 the homes get newer and nicer.

The only real areas of concern on the Coast in terms of crime would be more or less the immediate neighborhoods north and west of downtown Gulfport and perhaps immediately adjacent to downtown Biloxi. Most everything else is solidly working class or middle class, with a few areas of mansions which are mostly adjacent to the beach, bay, or rivers. The average income levels for all the towns are nearly the same, so it really comes down to location, commute, type of home, and personal taste.

Old Today, 09:35 AM

8 posts, read 895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option Trader View Post
Yep, took the words right out of my mouth about how nice Ocean Springs is, and has been for 100 yrs and it hasn't been infected by throngs of folks from the NE....yet.

I might also suggest Pass Christian, but all of the area is at risk for hurricanes, but at least you get plenty of warning! lol

Perhaps also Bay St Louis...maybe

Lots of NATIVE culture and Euro culture! history!

I currently live in St. Petersburg, Florida so hurricanes and their impeding warnings are nothing out of the ordinary. Glad to hear Ocean Springs hasn't been corrupted by the NE'ers, unlike this place unfortunately.

Old Today, 09:37 AM

8 posts, read 895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
For middle class, non-ghetto areas, you've got a lot of choices. Check bestneighborhood.org for maps by income, home prices, race/ethnicity and many other factors.

In Biloxi, I would recommend the neighborhoods along Popps Ferry Road just south of the bridge over the bay, as well as north between the bay and I-10. Examples that you can find on google maps are Carmague Lane, Pelican Bayou Drive, and Brentwood Drive. Further north of I-10, try Clear Springs Drive and Holly Springs Drive. The best suburban shopping area for convenience purposes is D'Iberville around the intersection of I-10 and I-110 just north of Biloxi. But Ocean Springs and Gulfport have all the usual suburban stores also.

In Ocean Springs, most anywhere is good except perhaps some of the neighborhoods close to the water that got wiped out in Katrina. Those are obvious because many of the lots are nothing but trees.. Downtown Ocean Springs and the community beach front is really nice and one of the nicest areas on the Coast. But there are many regular subdivisions with ranch homes. The pricey part is mainly the historic district and water front homes.

Long Beach is a very safe middle class town with amazing beach access. Merinda Avenue is an example. Long Beach has a little downtown Main Street that has a Mayberry feel to it and they do have a college there, right the beach front (USM).

Pass Christian is mainly beach front mansions and big bayfront homes on stilts, with some smaller homes dotting the area. Pass Christian is like a post card, with huge beach front and marina, but very quiet.

Bay St Louis has a buzzing downtown overlooking the bay and great beaches. Check Main Street on google maps. Bay St. Louis probably has the most character of all the cities and is attracting small hotels and restaurants in its downtown area. There are some big homes but many modest, older cottages.

Diamondhead is an affordable golf course community and town right off I-10, with a marina and close to beaches. Everything there is nice, clean, and fairly new... and houses are fairly modest and middle class (no mansions) but well kept. You can't go wrong with Diamondhead. It's an actual town but the entire area originally was built as a planned residential development, hence the cleanliness.

Gulfport is the largest city and has a pretty happening downtown that has recovered fairly well from Katrina. In Gulfport the safest neighborhoods are north of Pass Rd and east of the airport, straddling Bernard Bayou. On google maps examples are Old Oak Lane and Harrison Ave for newer and older streets. North of I-10 on either side of Hwy 49, a decent suburban area, examples of newer homes are Old Magnolia Court and Lake Village Drive. Once you get north of I-10, as you get further north from I-10 the homes get newer and nicer.

The only real areas of concern on the Coast in terms of crime would be more or less the immediate neighborhoods north and west of downtown Gulfport and perhaps immediately adjacent to downtown Biloxi. Most everything else is solidly working class or middle class, with a few areas of mansions which are mostly adjacent to the beach, bay, or rivers. The average income levels for all the towns are nearly the same, so it really comes down to location, commute, type of home, and personal taste.

Lots of good info. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi