Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 11:28 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,547 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this is an odd question but I was wondering if those of you that are more familiar with Mississippi consider it to be a pretty state. Obviously beauty is subjective but my personal opinion of the roadside scenery I've seen driving is that I didn't see jaw dropping beauty of some states, but it was still pretty in its own way. The parts I drove through didn't seem as swampy as Louisiana nor as populated as the surrounding states. It was more rural so much less development and more of an untouched feeling. For those of you that think Mississippi is beautiful, tell me why you think so and your favorite spots. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 12:00 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Most people consider something "scenic" when the view is 1) pretty and 2) you can see a long way. Mississippi has lots of (1), but it's far too flat of a state for (2). There are hills with clearings where you can see long ways, but those are usually dependent on a lack of trees immediately around you. This usually means the area has been cut-over for logging... which eliminates the "pretty" requirement.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:31 AM

577 posts, read 563,201 times
Mississippi is covered top to bottom in small, deeply wooded hills and ridges from 80 to 120 feet. It's evident when on google maps when you hit the terrain option. They aren't so apparent on the interstate because interstates are deliberately flattened out. And state and county roads often go around hills and ridges, which are then hidden to the side by trees. So the scenery is more evident if you own a home perched on a ridge or on a lake and surrounded by dense forest.

I think some of the prettiest land is around communities such as Natchez and Oxford, just because of the way those towns are situated. Obviously the coastal islands are exquisite and the coastline is a beautiful drive. The Delta is beautiful as a rich agricultural area crisscrossed by rivers and bayous.

There is some variation in the soil types from west to east. On the western side closer to the Mississippi River, rich soil deposits created thick topsoil and hardwood forests which gradually transition to pasture land mixed with trees and then to mixed pine and oak forests, increasingly pine forests as you go east into the middle of the state.

There are countless miles of backroads of farms, forests, creeks, and hills, dotted with tiny towns. It's great for driving and enjoying the countryside while listening to podcasts and music and exploring little towns. Like you said it has an untouched feeling and is a state of mind.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:37 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I've been to some of the backroads of the Delta region, not 61 but off the highways into farm roads past cotton fields both before and after the cotton is harvested with the snow white landscape. It's actually got a quiet and serene beauty to it.

Also approaching the boarder of Alabama past Tupelo it gets quite hilly and scenic, with hills dotted with wildflowers. I had a guest from Europe comment on it's beauty.

And of course there is the Natchez Trace Parkway, which I have yet to explore in detail but supposedly is also quite scenic.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:57 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Perhaps this is an odd question but I was wondering if those of you that are more familiar with Mississippi consider it to be a pretty state. Obviously beauty is subjective but my personal opinion of the roadside scenery I've seen driving is that I didn't see jaw dropping beauty of some states, but it was still pretty in its own way. The parts I drove through didn't seem as swampy as Louisiana nor as populated as the surrounding states. It was more rural so much less development and more of an untouched feeling. For those of you that think Mississippi is beautiful, tell me why you think so and your favorite spots. Thanks!
You said it best in the bold part above. Mississippi is pretty in a 'Mississippi' type of way. It's a historical type of thing, hard to describe. You either appreciate it or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi